House of M #8. EXTREME SPOILERS HERE IN.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by PopCulturePooka, Nov 2, 2005.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    This is why I hate posting here. Why are you "Warning" anybody? There's nothing wrong with this thread...it's a bit heated, perhaps, but what's wrong with that? No one has called anyone names, or insinuated anything...I think it's funny that it's perfectly OK to say:

"House of M: Spider-Man was fucking bullshit. I want my money, my time, and my virginity back."

THAT doesn't get your attention, but you want to jump on someone for arguing about Marvel's editorial edicts? :peoples: 

2. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

So far House of M has to be ranked amongst the most anticlimatic of mini-series'. Even if it was a prelude to something else, they sure drug us through some boring stories to get there; at this point I would just like to see it end and marvel move on. So a bunch of B list marvel characters lost there powers, oh well. And how do they write an 8 issue mini-series without a villian battle? Especially set in an alternate reality where they have the option of creating any scenario with any type of villian?

Really this whole series should have been two issues long, but somehow it went on for eight issues, all while they spun off all of these completely inconsequential alternate reality stories that werent even interesting in spite of the fact marvel basically had free reign to write any story they wanted. ugh.

3. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I'd always thought in the comic industry, if you worked for a company you wrote what the editorial staff told you to write about. If they want small self-contained stories, that's what you wrote. Likewise, if they decided they wanted a giant crossover including every title in their stable (thank god there's no more Spiderham comics) then you wrote that. Complaining that your boss, who by definition gives you work to do and direction how to do it, is telling you to do something that conflicts with what you want to do... well, in my job that would get you fired. Or a written warning which could lead to you being fired.

To the House of M storyline... I only read the early parts of it. I gave up on reading most of Marvel a few years ago... the X-titles weren't moving anywhere, and from the glances I cast at them now, they apparently move too much - I haven't seen a coherent plot yet within a single issue in any of the ones I've picked up. I've mostly followed Marvel by what's been written in interviews and reports. So, in that respect, I haven't really known what to make of what's going on.

If Days of Future Past is still the "official" Marvel future, then that time is rapidly approaching. I picked up Decimation this morning, Sentinels. God knows what's going on in it, I'm buying it next week (so it's waiting for me, but it has Sentinels! I like Sentinels. Giant robots, wonder why I like them?) but surely, if DoFP is still going to happen, and I haven't read anything that contradicts that, then the groundwork is going to have to be laid very soon.

Recently also read in Spidey 2099 (I was missing so many issues, found a whole bunch recently) about the "real" end of the Heroic Age... I'd always thought it was the fourth Sentinel wave, but apparently not... still, that's "official" timeline too, and that event is very close (in terms of the general time they were throwing around - very specific not to mention a specific date as I recall).

Now, from what I gather, few if any people know what Wanda did... but surely, if that got out, people would take steps to make sure it never happened again... then again, every time I see Sentinels in action, I start thinking it's the end of everything and I pick up an issue or two until I'm sure it's not... because apart from Runaways, Power Pack, Arana, Exiles and... hell, New Thunderbolts and New Avengers, I gave up on Marvel.

Which reminds me, little mutant girl in Runaways (Molly?), she still going to be a mutant or what?

4. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

House of M wasn't an alternate reality. Wanda's powers actually changed the Marvel Universe from what it was into the HoM world and then back to almost the way it had been before. As for the "villain battle" of this story I'd say it was when those that had their memories restored went to fight the HoM. I'd agree some of the mutants who lost their powers are "B list" characters, but not all of them. Character's like Magneto and Iceman are not "b list" IMO. I'll admit was expecting a little more from the outcome of this story. I'm not sure what exactly, but still, most of the world's population of mutants loosing their powers is a big deal. I found the HoM story interesting.

5. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Everyone who is complaining that House of M was anti-climatic- don't expect anything more out of Decimation. Dissassembled was the lead-in to House of M, which was the lead-in to Decimation, which is the lead-in to the 198, and that's as far down the pipeline as we can see so far. Not that I'm saying Decimation absolutely won't be climactic, but it seems like Marvel is trying for some kind of Lord-of the Rings stylish story telling.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    As stated, the universe changed. Similar to when it changed during Age of Apocalypse. This is easily seen in Exiles and Cable/Deadpool. Both books were dealing with Universe jumping and both groups popped into the 616 to discover something wasn't right.

7. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

To be fair, David's HoM Hulk was, for me, the best thing about the whole mess.

Because it was Hulk. And it was FUNNY. "HULK SMASH PAPERWORK!" = Priceless.

But yeah, all of those guys are hit and miss. Peter David's Supergirl was a train wreck for the longest time, though more or less redeemed by the last issues.

-XCN-

8. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Last thing I enjoyed from claremont would have been the magneto arc when the second X-men title launched back in the early 90's.