House of M #8. EXTREME SPOILERS HERE IN.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by PopCulturePooka, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

I'll give House of M one thing, it broke me, and I'll be picking up every Decimation title out there.

The 198 remaining mutants.

Stryker's eerie message on the television.

Layla still remembers.

Where's Xavier?

I could go on for a while.

Also, just saw previews for the next issue of Exiles, Beak and Angel are both human, along with all of their children except for Tito, which is a kickass reference to New X-men. Bravo on the nod to Morrison's X-men run, guy who's currently doing a mediocre job of writing one of my favorite comics whose name escapes me right now, bravo.

2. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Yup, as Frequency mentioned, whole lotta unresolved problems are being setup to prepare for some big events.

For me, I'm looking forward to how they'll handle Dr. Strange and the "opposite reaction" due to the reduced mutant population.

3. Frequency

A little topic of discussion:

Does anyone else think that Magneto losing his powers is pretty much the ultimate push to make him a good guy, at the very least an anti-hero?

I mean, they've come out that New X-men wasn't him, and then we found out House of M wasn't him either, who knows what else they're going to explain as being Wanda's fault and not actually Magneto. But still, they couldn't write off that Magneto doesn't like humans, they just couldn't. It's part of his personality.

So what do they do? Have him lose his powers, probably wind up living with humans or something, kind of starting his life over, learning firsthand humans aren't so bad, until something happens to threaten them and his powers finally snap back and suddenly he's on the side of the X-men.

I dunno, just a guess of mine.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Magneto as a good guy never sticks. Claremont spent much of the 80s redeeming Mags, and Lobdell ended up coming in and turning Magento into a foamng-at-the-mouth lunatic.

5. Frequency

Well that's what I mean though. Claremont pushed Magneto as a good guy, at first just teaming up with the X-men occasionally, and it was awesome. Then other writers came in, and it suddenly got into a huge fight over whether or not he was good or evil, with some writers for sanity's sake making it purposefully ambiguous. After all this time it would really be good to see someone at Marvel slam their fist down on the table and say "F*** you guys, he's a good guy, and it's final!" or bad guy, but I personally always thought he made a much better good guy than bad guy.

Edit: Yes, I realize nothing is ever final at Marvel, but it would be good as one of those things like the pheonix where they decided "Alright, this crap has to stop, no more writing about the pheonix of Jean Grey for like.... a long time, ok guys?"

6. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Bah. Not Dani as well.

:( 

7. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quesuda and Bendis might not use that get out clasue, but they won't be about forever.

And the way I look at it is that Wanda has the power to affect reality and change it into an alternative, which she did creating the House of M universe, if that was stopped then reality would revert back to the 616 universe with all the mutants intact, but its not. It's off in a tangent where there is only 198 mutants.

But then I guess discussing alternative realities can be a pain, kinda like time travel.

8. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

according to bendis and quesada's hype and rhyme the fatal flaw in your reasoning is this line: Wanda has the power to affect reality and change it into an alternative, which she did creating the House of M universe.

while i would love for your theory about how wanda and house of m works to be true according to bendis wanda didnt create a new reality or switch realities what she did was overwrote what was there thats why there were discrepencies like hawkeye and the pulse. they never left the 616 universe. she resurected people, warped surroundings tweaked everybodies mind all while still in the 616

so when house of m ends she over wrote reality once more with no more mutants edict they were still in the 616 universe and all the mutants still existed up to a point where she decided to become a self hating racist and remove all mutant powers...

i know i know what a load of bull. but thats bendis's shit writing for you it makes no damned sense :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: 

9. Frequency

Not that I'd call Bendis' writing shit by any stretch, but he's got a point. If it was another reality thing, hopefully someone would have clued in Bedard who is writing Exiles. At least the way that book worked it, the 616 fuzzed out for a moment, then the House of M was there in it's place(as the 616) and then it fuzzed out again when Wanda did her "YOU GOT NO MORE MUTANTS'D!!!" thing.

10. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I wonder if they'll make it that those mutants didn't actually loose their powers, but from Wanda overwriting reality again, they just don't know they have powers. Then when the time suits Marvel, some telepath or something will come along and break through the mental barriers and make them remember that they have powers. Just a thought. I didn't read House of M. I kinda wish I had. I might have to get the trade when it comes out.

11. Frequency

It's not that they don't remember they have powers, they were actually stripped of their powers. I had thought about this though, and I think that Layla Miller and Pietro will probably have something to do with at least some of the mutant population getting their powers back.

12. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

13. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

ew.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think my head hurts now.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Give up, Marvel. You lost it years ago.

16. deathsheadx

as of now the only marvel comics i'm actually going to buy are those by chris claremont. i like his work and when he isnt messed with by editors and superstar writer agenders he can come up with some killer stuff

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Origin II, anyone?

I'm guess I'm in a minority here, but I liked it. There were too many God damn mutants. While it may not have been necesary to strip it down to this 198 business, the explanation that only those in Genosha (or at least, protected by Frost and Strange, who were there) at the time were spared is the only explanation that wouldn't reek of inconsistency.
    Wolverine's memory recollection will present itself somehow. The door's open for Hawkeye's return. Xavier's missing. Magneto's powerless. Wanda is...? And the "equal and opposite reaction" angle could be good.
    I never seriously expected everything to be all wrapped up on the final page of #8, even before all the Decimation promos started popping up. I'll probably pick up a few more X books in the wake of this, which was no doubt partially the intent of all this.

18. Frequency

It's fairly obvious that the explanation of everyone around Emma being spared isn't the actual explanation. There's a lot of mutants that were spared that weren't anywhere near Genosha, and there were others like Magneto who were right there and still weren't shielded. There are still others(Colossus) who don't remember what happened but still have their powers. Besides Emma was panicking at the time and even admitted that Xavier would know what was really going on.

19. deathsheadx

you see i take offense to the idea there were too many mutants
    for one thing before morisson upped the mutant population 90 percent of them were in limbo i mean how many times was jubilee a headliner in the last 5 years? what about phantazia or shatterstar? what about random? scanner? kleinstoks? frenzy? most of them were hardly seen in years!!!

queseda mistook complaints about too many mutant books to mean too many mutants... and you know what? people will complain that theres still too many mutant books so what will queseda do next? get rid of all the mutants bar wolverine and have him be the star of every x book? you dont know how pissed off i get with this crap. i should also point out something quesuda and bendass are not mutant fans it shows by their actions bendis hardly touches the mutant stuff, prefering street level heroes and quesuda isnt much different the amount of time quesuda pumped into pimping dear devil and his marvel knights stuff is astounding

20. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    <Picky>Shatterstar is an Alien not a mutant</Picky>

As a long term X-Men reader - Issue 176 onwards and backwards - I'm of the opinion that Claremont's writing is currently at a very low ebb. His best work was someway in the past I feel.

OK he's not been helped by Alan Davies' Art (or possibly the inking on Davies Art) for the recent UXM run.