House of M #7

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Xcandescent, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

So it turns out House of M is really a 3-issue miniseries. Issue #1 came out a few months ago, and its follow-up came out today.

Ignore the fact that it's got #7 on the cover -- this is the bookend to issue #1, which makes it the other good issue in the series.

I'll say this: if you gotta hit the reset button, this issue's the way to do it.

-XCN-

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Yeah. Great issue finally.

"No more mutants" sent a little chill down my spine heh.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Read this one right after Infinite Crisis #1 and Villains United #6. Huge letdown, even for House of M.

Half the issue was devoted to pure exposition. And the huge plot twist, that it's all Pietro's fault, was really not all that surprising or compelling. And the big fight scene really suffered from some confusing artwork. I'm not entirely sure what all was happening there.

And finally, the big "No more mutants" scene. Meh. Nice enough moment, I guess, but it's still just Marvel hitting the reset button on everything Grant Morrison did in his run on New X-Men. Now, Morrison was never my favorite X-Men writer, but if Marvel's just going to go and undo everything he wrote, why'd they even bother hiring him in the first place.

I've been a big Marvel fan since I first got into superhero comics, but I'm telling you, right now I'm really close to just saying "Fuck it" and switching over completely to DC.

:thumbdown  :thumbdown 

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I thought it was... ace on a stick.

5. tapestry100

tapestry100 poke a badger w/a spoon TFW2005 Supporter

seriously - while this series has been really REALLY slow to this point, i feel this issue made the entire thing worth it. i'm really anxious to see what happens next issue :thumb 

6. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm planning on getting the trade paperback of it when it comes out. I hope one does at least.

7. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

Oh those rascally Maximoffs...

Pietro being the real one behind it was a shock, sure, but I don't think it was as big of a shock as they were really intending it to be. I'll admit to the issue being a little hard to follow though, as I'm a little confused to whether or not Wanda is conciously doing all of this out of spite for her father or if she's just completely batshit and being used as a pawn by Pietro... I think it's a little of both though. My favorite part was definitely Magneto's getting woken up and using his powers to completely stop the battle and chew out Pietro. Still a lot of questions though: Who really was the person posing as Magneto who decimated Manhattan(They said it would be answered here)? What exactly happened to Hawkeye? Is he coming back or not?, What's going to happen now?

"No More Mutants" ... whoa...

But still, I wouldn't worry too much switchblade, I don't think they'll ret-con everything morrison did... afterall, everyone seems universally accepting of the notion that Pheonix is staying dead and Cyclops and Emma are together, and considering most of the stuff Morrison incorporated were actually good ideas, odds are it will just be ret-conned back once they get a writer who actually wants to bother with writing about it.

8. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Bah, we all know Jean will be back as soon as X3 hits theaters. There's just no cross-promotional reason to bring her back now. :p 

And as for Scott and Emma, we'll have to see where Whedon is taking his new Hellfire arc.

It's not like I liked Morrison's run. I just think that if Marvel is going to undo everything he did, they shouldn't have bothered hiring him in the first place.

9. Frequency

Eh, it's not so much the ret-conning that bothers me, so much as the fact that most of morrison's run was completely ignored until now. There were a lot of loose ends from the story arc, and it was kinda like when Morrison finished up noone wanted to be bothered with any of it so they just took from his run what they could use and pretended the rest didn't happen. The fact that marvel actually said most of this stuff was going to finally be explained in House of M, while annoying it's being ret-conned to begin with, is at least giving closure to the run.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Because Jemas hired Morrison and now Marvel is trying to undo everything that had anything to do with Jemas. This is why Epic got canceled, John Miller was taken off Iron man, and the other 180s marvel has pulled lately.

11. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Why is that Wreckgar?

12. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Because Quesada is a dick. :p 

13. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Fixed that for ya ;)  :thumbs2: 
    So whats the deal now? All the mutants were wiped out? Or just a good chunk?

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not sure the exact reasons but Marvel took a huge hit while jemas was in charge. Also there were personal issues around. So now marvel is trying to distance themselves from eveything during that time.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't worry about ANY potentianl ramifications this series has. Remember, this is Marvel we're talking about; they have a "world shattering event" every five minutes, and hardly any of them ever mean sh*t.

16. Switchblade

News Credits:
    The magic number is 198. That's how many will be left.

17. Frequency

Assumedly it's just going to get rid of all of the background characters... all the teams will still be there, just none o fthe mutant cities and towns you saw in Morrison's run.

18. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

what pisses me off about house of m is bendis doesnt know his facts...

it wasnt magneto that ruined wanda and pietro's lives...he never abandoned them infact it wasnt untill they were adults that they all found out they were related....

it was humans who killed their adoptive parents

it was humans that hunted and chased her and her brother making their life hell...

she has hardly ever interacted with magneto after she left the brotherhood and for her to go and do this just smacks too much of plot device

all house of m has done has made sure i will never again pick up a bendis written book

19. Frequency

It's more or less the fact that even after he found out they were his children, he still took being a superior to them in the brotherhood over being their actual father. He would never stop his crusade to be the father for them that they didn't have. That, and becoming his enemies once they left the brotherhood and joined the avengers, and I'm also pretty sure there it was hinted at that(granted, before he knew they were his children)while they were in the brotherhood he abused them for not doing good. I mean, especially in this issue, the 2 of them just came off as whiney bitches, but I don't see how you could read X-men comics and not see any hostility there. This whole "we hate you dad!" thing is nothing new.

20. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

the hints were not there. he didnt know. if there is any evidence to the contary it is another author who didnt know established facts...

the thing is dissasembled and house of m have been driven by bendis and bendis's whims.... sure other writers have contributed but this is all bendis and he does things the way he wants even at the sacrifice of the facts... in his world wanda blames magneto for everything thats wrong with her life...

was it magneto who killed her parents? no

was it magneto who hunted her and pietro like dogs? no

was it magneto or mutants that destroyed the vision? no

was it magneto or mutants that took away her kids? no

when she became an avenger was it mutants she fought on a regular basis? no

strange isnt it that she decides that mutants are the freaks and had to go.

for wanda to turn round and get angry at the fact that magneto didnt drop everything he had fought for, for two adults who he didnt even know where his children up to that point, who denounced him and most of the time made it clear, that they didnt want to know him unles it was to kick his arse...

it rubs me the wrong way... it shows how assine house of m is it shows how bad bendis doesnt get it...