Hot Wheels X Transformers Official Announcement

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by RePUGnicon, May 9, 2024.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Probably. But it's also to the point the fandom means nothing to me. I've been burnt since 2015 and Combiner Wars and the scars didn't seem to truly heal. It isn't something new...more like something I feel like I'm ready to grapple. Just wanna finish my G1 cast and get out. Just riding the wave of these G1 redos for another year or two and I'm good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The figure looks meh, but what I find more interesting is that, as far as I'm aware, this is the first officially licensed product by Hasbro to another manufacturer that actually transforms isn't it??

That seems like a HUGE deal to me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SquawkingtheTalk

SquawkingtheTalk Getting accused on the astrotrain express

Good luck in the gundam fandom, those people are too much sometimes

4. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    Kinda cool to see this, especially in 64 scale, price tho :oops:  yikes

5. Hound003

Hound003 Well-Known Member

Thats fine. Let Hasbro get out of its own way and give the authority to people who will actually take the risk to put out great toys. Well painted. Well designed. Unique and clever. I am tired of the bean counters at Hasbro saying that things cannot be done for lame reasons.

We have KO companies in China who have already reverse engineered the Dinobots. Give them the official ok to license those as Hasbro. All Hasbro would have to do is minor checks and quality assurance to make sure the toy is true to the original. The risk would all be on the KO company. Then we could have original G1 Dinobots again. You could have the toy version or the toon version. Fully painted without stickers. You could even give them the missing link treatment. These companies could then also reverse engineer Mirage, Wheeljack, and Sunstreaker - those would sell! And the risk is not on Hasbro.

We can collaborate with Hot Wheels or Matchbox on ALL the original G1 Autobots - Lancia, Hilux, Vanette, Fairlady Z, Countach, Porsche, VW, Ligier, etc. Fully painted up.

Let someone actually do these missing link pieces in different varieties. Call the Retro/Movie line the Missing - Link Painted version which uses the same mold but is all completely painted. Missing Link - Articulation line that is just like the current Missing Link line. And Missing Link - Ultimate - which combines the best of the Painted and Articulation lines to have the ultimate G1 toy.

Let people who actually have good ideas succeed. That is what is great about the 3rd party companies. They actually are willing to take the risk that the bean counters at Hasbro are not. So much hand wringing about where molds will be stored and if it would be worth the cost. Hasbro getting out of their own way would allow for way more innovation. Hasbro is a shell of a company, dying on the vine and paralyzed by bean counters. Please don't mess up Transformers like the messed up D&D by saying D&D was "under monetized".

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Buy My Stuff

Have to wonder if this is a springboard for more ambitious projects down the line (He-Man, Barbie crossovers).

• Like Like x 2
  7. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX BM & IDW2 apologist, team clear windows

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Jada has a converting RC toy, Robosen's auto-converting toys are part of a licensing partnership, and Lego's Optimus converts as well. This is a special case, and the first time we've gotten something so close to the OG, but it's not technically the first.

8. KyleM

KyleM Well-Known Member

I’m happy for those of you that like this, but I don’t get it. It’s $80 for just a smaller G1 Prime in all die cast? I’m fine with keeping the $80

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Figure looks meh? It looks identical to the toy it is trying to recreate! I don't even know what people are seeing when they look at toys anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    My Masters friend thinks they should make converting He-Man vehicles in the same product style as the GI Joe crossover toys. I don't think that's ever going to happen, and I don't think the MotU fandom is big enough to sustain that.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Wait- they transform?
    I've thought that licensees couldn't make transforming figures.

This is too cool!

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Buy My Stuff

That's kind of where my mind is for MOTU.

For Barbie, Arcee turning into one of her convertibles seems like a no-brainer.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    If they'd included the trailer like the non-transforming one, easy buy. But this is too rich for my blood

• Like Like x 2
  14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    When I say "we", I mean the Transformers fandom overall. Which is quite evident from the posts being made here, including mine.

Meanwhile, there are corners of the fandom willing to drop $50 on a Diaclone set of a Hot Wheels sized truck, a container and a miniature man to drive it. These fans understand the idea of small run/highly detailed collectibles and the cost associated with it.

That said, I still think $40 is closer to the "right price" to move mass quantities of these. $80 is Mattel smoking their usual crackpipe.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's a transforming Hot Wheels toy so it's intended as much for Hot Wheels collectors as it is for Transformers collectors. Again, I think had the price come in at half - $40 - there'd be far fewer people questioning this release within the Transformers fandom.

16. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

Curious indeed. All die cast or partial?

They picked the correct toy (Safety of Prime), but this feels like a diamond sale when they could sell us a Ruby or Sapphire. Other than its limited-ness, and obvious resale bait, what's the point?

I'd be more interested in a Pepsi Prime reissue. Collector value AND holds my beer coke!

17. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very good points, but i'd argue that each one of those is an exception. This is still the first non-self transforming, non-self assembly Transformers action figure toy made by a licensed 3rd party right?

• Like Like x 1
  18. AcademyofDrX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I could see a converting Battle Cat a la the Jurassic Park collab, maybe with a converting He-Man to boot? I think that would have wider appeal than a Sky Sled or something, even if that's less exciting to the diehard Origins collectors.

19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Sure. But then that'd be Hasbro making it and not Mattel.

20. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    Looks good but not $80 good, not even with the exclusive packaged experience price bump.

I'm doubtful the alt mode is really Hot Wheels "1:64" scale (which doesn't mean squat in Hot Wheels to begin with), my guess is this is fudging it into the gray zone between 1:64th and 1:50th, but it's hard to be sure with the only scale comparison being to G1 Optimus shot from a low angle - maybe they did pull it off.

If they offered this in a regular enamel paint for a lot less scratch, I could see this being a big seller, but at the same time the enamel paint might not be able to transform without flaking off.

• Like Like x 1