Hot Wheels X Transformers Official Announcement

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by RePUGnicon, May 9, 2024.

1. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Especially for something like this. I do wonder who Mattel might do next for something like this. I would think Starscream but make it under matchbox seeing they have an aircraft line. I can’t see Mattel doing Megs if they make him the gun.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  2. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

Exactly. You don't get it, you don't. Better luck next time.

If you want it, then by all means, pay more. I don't get this whole "let's blame the scalpers" mentality. This is not new. Limited edition shit sells out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bustermaster

Bustermaster GREAT - ROBOT - BASED

News Credits:
    Imagine defending FOMO lmao

4. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Eh it's both really. Each side doesn't operate in a vacuum from the other.
    At least folks aren't idiotically saying SuPpLy AnD dEmAnD without knowing what supply and demand actually is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering completist, recently fell off the wagon

True, it's fed both ways. Demand side economics, kinda. They do create a higher demand by buying up all of the product, and that is not respectable. The scalpers that sit and wait to buy up all of the stock create the idiots because they are left no other choice.

It's not a market, it's a racket. The fact that they sold out, and were immediately put up on ebay at ridiculous prices by these scalpers, which is what they are, is deplorable. Yes, it is like buying and selling stocks to a certain capacity. But this is not the stock market, no one is making millions besides Mattel. These are vultures limited to three copies that only care about the profit brought by the product and not the product itself, while people that do care only wanted one. No one is getting rich off of selling three Hot Wheels, they might make rent.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it has gotten better recently. A lot of the luxury items so to speak are now made to order and have pre-order listings far in advance.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't follow Hot Wheels - an R34 is a thing of beauty but what was so special about this one?

I do a little 3D printing for relatively simple pieces and even then it's ridiculous. I can usually do the "artistic" part in a couple of hours and then it's days doing the engineering and that's for simple pieces that just need to slot together with no moving parts. If I wanted to scratch build G1 Optimus, it would take me weeks. But I'm also an amateur self taught 3D modeler who probably does everything wrong because that's just the way I learned it and I didn't even know what questions to ask to learn to do it better.

You want the Hot Wheels downsize to be upsized to MP scale? That's a brilliant idea! And then someone can downsize the MP to Micromachine scale. Then upscale the Micromachine to Lewin.

I joke but I assume what you mean is basically a large scale G1 Optimus with the shiny pretty paint of the Hot Wheels version. That actually would be pretty damn cool, though if someone were going to do that, I'd like the additional articulation of the Missing Link version.

Yeah, I wrestled with it over the past few days before finally deciding to go through with it. Then this morning I got sticker shock when I saw that shipping and taxes took it up to almost $100 but I already had momentum by then.

I agree but it's also easy to agree when you don't want something badly enough to pay the scalpers. I've broken down and paid them before so I guess that makes me an idiot but I try to resist the temptation as much as possible.

Oh I still blame the scalpers. Greedy assholes who exploit rarity by actually making it harder for the people who want to pay a fair price by buying up all the stock. I can't say they're the lowest of the low because I mean there's all kinds of worse people out there and it's hard to compare those to greedy people who get in the way of toy shopping, but I have absolutely no respect for scalpers.

At the same time, I blame the limited edition shit. I hate that whole side of collecting - just make enough of the damned things that anybody who wants one can buy it. But I also realize that's unrealistic - if this weren't a "limited edition," nobody would buy it for $80. The really eager people would but the rest of us would wait for it to go on clearance for a more reasonable price and Mattel would have to sit on unsold inventory and eventually lose money on the whole thing. That would lead to wanting to cut costs so that losses wouldn't be as keen and then, well, now you're into the regular old mainline toy market.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean all the listings on Ebay says otherwise about scalpers. You're right that you need to be there either way but only a fraction of units were actually bought by collectors.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210 Well-Known Member

It was a spectraflame transforming optimus prime hot wheel. Of course it was gonna sell out fast. And to hot wheels collectors, not transformers ones. Don’t underestimate Hot Wheels collectors.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OrionPaximus

OrionPaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't underestimate the revenge of mattycollector. The site was horrendous for scores of people who stalled out at the payment screen. It was one of the most frustrating experiences i've encountered on mattel creations and I have used the site for years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    R34s are just very popular. It's one of those car models that HW fans just go gaga over. I didn't try for this 2024 Skyline R34 mainly because I was literally at the beach when the listing went up and I already got an RLC R34 from 2020. Hell, the one I got I paid 25 for, came with an RLC Membership. Now it's worth upwards of 200 USD.

1000019045.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    Anyone else hoping the trailer that comes with the mass release track fleet hotwheels optimus prime will be compatible with this prime?

• Like Like x 2
  13. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Tbh its not that big a deal if someone missed this. Its not like there's a shortage of G1 prime re-issues out there, and we even have missing link optimus currently out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aarion23

Aarion23 Living in the Digital World!

News Credits:
    It would be nice but sadly they are 2 different connection joints.

The Track Fleet truck has a connector point.

And the transforming one does not have one at all.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The Track Fleet cabs and trailers use a very specific ball and cup connector, where the ball is on the trailer and the cup is on the cab. The transformation of the MC Optimus Prime means there's no way to fit a trailer unless you custom make one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. toretilo

toretilo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's weird I paid less from Spain, 91€ instead of $80 plus 10€ shipping, about $110 total.

17. Aarion23

Aarion23 Living in the Digital World!

News Credits:
    Yeah Canada gets screwed royally with our dollar. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThePrime84

ThePrime84 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Went live and sold out when I was at work wonderful

• Like Like x 1
  19. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 are you compensating for something, talking down?

News Credits:
    really don't think either of those products were designed for cross compatibility. if it doesn't, realistically someone like @echotransformer could probably engineer a connector to make that trailer or his model compatible

Trailer for custom Transformers Hot Wheels or Matchbox (~1:64)

what

20. Pencilerobo

Pencilerobo Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late replies, I can't be on toy forums all day. :p 

Call it desperation, but I'm hoping a more consumer friendly priced Standard Edition is made available down the road. It's a neat toy, just not $80 neat.

You're not wrong, but I also suspect a giant aspect of this here is merely publicity / upselling to casual customers or Hot Wheels collectors that may not be interested in TF toys. I'm sure the designer was super happy to work on a unique and fun project at Hot Wheels, but they've been engineering some mad toy cars for years now. So yeah, this is what carnies and pro wrestlers would call "a work". :p 

• Like Like x 1