Hot take: i dont actually like tf animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by jellowd2, Apr 4, 2024.

1. jellowd2

jellowd2 Well-Known Member

I just think the proportions are bizarre. What did they to to my boy Rattrap. Why are they all hunched over. Why is Ratchets face blue?

I know imma get a lot of people comin after me but hey why not.

• Like Like x 4
  2. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I mean you’re not exactly saying it’s badly written or that it’s even ugly.

There is nothing wrong with having Visual Preferences. Honestly I don’t like it’s Art Style either and much more prefer the Anime aesthetic.

Granted that doesn’t make Animated a bad show, and it did give us Slipstream, so I can’t act like it’s not important to the brand. Just not my cup o tea.

• Like Like x 6
  3. jellowd2

Didn't it give Bulkhead to?
    I cant watch a show if I don't like the way they looks...

• Like Like x 1
  4. BethCyra

It may well have.

I can’t remember if it was Animated or Prime.

I just focus on Slipstream as she is my favorite character in the entire Franchise and I wouldn’t have Cyberverse Slipstream with out Animated Slipstream so I have to be happy Animated exists even I don’t enjoy watching it much myself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jellowd2

Yea. I do love Prime. The blend of the realistic look of the movies looks great. The humans ehhhh they're alright but could've been animated better. I really don't care for any anime I don't like how the way it is animated (transformers anime as well) to me it looks very choppy and I know that's how it is supposed to be but it just feels weird.

6. BethCyra

lol and I feel similarly about Prime.

Like I said so long as you ain’t out here saying Animated is shit, or that it’s factually ugly (I mean it’s an opinion and subjective) then I don’t see why anyone would hate on ya.

You like what ya like, we just don’t want to hate on others for liking the things we don’t.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Bulkhead from Animated wasn't the first transformer named Bulkhead (I believe that honor goes to Energon Bulkhead), but animated bulkhead was definitely the one that set the 'idea' of who bulkhead is/what bulkhead looks like for interpretations afterwards.

You're allowed to not like what you don't like, it sucks that you can't get into what I think is a pretty great show because of the aesthetic, but it's an aesthetic that's turned some people off since it was first announced. You wouldn't be the only one to not like Animated because of its look.

• Like Like x 9
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's fine to not like a style. An art style, by its very intent, is to be something distinct and unique. That doesn't always mean everyone will like it. I love the style because it is so unique and its own thing. You'll never mistake TFA for anything else, and many series have tried and failed to take after it and come up short.

Most of them aren't, though?

He's sad. :'(

Yeah, never liked TFA's take on him. Apparently even the creators agreed, as they named the character "Rattletrap" instead of Rattrap because they didn't want to make the BW character into a 'Con-colluding criminal alley dealer, so they just went with an "inspired by" take.

The proportions make sense when you consider TFA's style is deliberately energetic and "superhero" in its proportions and details. Optimus has that S-shaped posture with a big barrel chest, wide upper arms, and that narrow waist. If You've ever seen the DCAU (Batman Animated, Batman Beyond, Justice League Unlimited, etc) you'll get what I mean. You can also tell every character's personality just by looking at them, which is something I always appreciate in cartoons.

I mean, you're not being argumentative or hostile, so I can't imagine why anyone would attack you. You don't like a show's style, that's perfectly reasonable.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde クインテッサ星人

News Credits:
    That's perfectly fine my dude, there's nothing wrong with just not liking something even if it's really well done because ultimately we all have our different tastes / preferences. Joker is a really good movie, but it's not for everyone because not everyone wants to watch something so dark and such.

You're not blaming the show, you're just saying you don't like the style: which I think is perfectly reasonable and respectable.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The style- this is exactly why I can’t get into BotBots. When half the characters turn into food, and there’s a TF that turns into a literal pile of barf- I just can’t.
    Doesn’t help that the art style is not to my liking either. I don’t know what age group they’re going for with this one. 4 - 6? Rescue Bots was for preschoolers but felt way smarter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

Story was good. Didn't like the proportions of the characters. Still better than Bayformers however.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I found it to definitely be at least be worth watching one time all the way through. It was entertaining for what it was. I'll probably get a bad reaction for saying this. But it's like Prime is hamburgers and Animated is pizza. If your in the mood for hamburger, then Prime is a very good choice. And if you're in the mood for pizza, then Animated is also a good choice. You just can't go into the one expecting to get the other.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Loved Animated. Loved the writing and the little easter egg nods to the original G1 series.

Didn't really care for the animation. Too goofy and cartoon network-ish for my tastes.

HATED Sari Sumdac.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it, but yeah, never went back to watch it a 2nd time. Pleasant & serviceable. Glad I saw it. Maybe one day I’ll rewatch it.

15. Ashley Wilbanks

Ashley Wilbanks TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    It took a few episodes to get used to the animation style, but once it got going, the story was pretty good. Not my favorite, but top in my top 5. G1, Beast Wars, Prime, Animated and War for Cybertron

• Like Like x 1
  16. IGEBM

IGEBM The Loremaster

Yes, Energon was the first Bulkhead, and yes, Animated gave us the "modern" Bulkhead, similar to the situation with Energon Strongarm and RID2015 Strongarm

17. RedPandaTron

RedPandaTron Techno-Organic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The style is nice but I'm not a big fan of the characters or much of the direction they went with. Human villains work when they're a threat and not a one-gimmick thing. I feel like the human villains belonged to an entirely different show (almost like they belonged to Teen Titans rather than Transformers). Say what you want about Cylas and Mandroid, at least they felt like human villains in a Transformers show.

I've said this before, but I'm also not a real fan of how TFA wrote it's female Transformer characters.

18. RedBird

RedBird Well-Known Member

TFA was a mixed bag. It had some good parts, like the subplot with Ratchet and Omega Supreme. But it also had A LOT of bullshit and nonsense, like the terrible human villains, the cringey/flat humor (seriously, the Fraticons (Constructicons) and Dinosimps weren't anywhere near as hilarious as the writers seemed to think), the banal plots, or the cheapest plot device ever (the AllSpark Key). Overall I found it more cringey/boring/awkward than enjoyable TBH.

I currently going through Prime for the first time, and while it has its fair share of flaws and bullshit, I'm finding it much more bearable than TFA. It probably helps that unlike make posters here, I watched it without prior expectations and (over)hype.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Was it a cheap plot device? It hardly ever got used for good in the grand scheme, and more often than not wasn't the answer to a lot of problems, but the cause.

I remember when TFA first started people really disliked the idea of the key because they thought it would just be the thing that resolves every episode, but it was around "Along Came a Spider" that it became obvious that the writers weren't treating the key as this a magical cure-all as we thought. If anything there was more emphasis on its abuse and misuse than its plot-resolving powers.

Which is funny, because people really liked the Animated Constructicons back then, and still do. It's a common complaint that they never got toys despite being prominent characters.

You realize the expectations people had for Prime came from Animated, right? :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  20. RedBird

RedBird Well-Known Member

My problem is that it had no set limits. It could do pretty much anything the writers wanted.

It could heal the 'bots.

It could unlock stuff.

It could reprogram stuff.

It could upgrade robots (Soundwave).

I could go on.

And I could argue that a lazy plot device without set limits causing conflict is almost as bad as one that solves the plot.

Really? I don't see what's so interesting or funny about two generic frat guys. Two robot frat guys, but still as generic and stereotypical personality-wise as it gets.

I'm reading CaptainSlayer's TFP thread as I watch the show and the haters there stated multiple times that they specifically hated Prime for failing to deliver on what it promised/was supposed to do. Stuff like not lining up with the continuity of the High Moon games, or "Orion Pax" not delving into what it means to be a Prime.

I also found the haters themselves admitting that the show was much more enjoyable going blind without knowing about such promises and hype.

Edit: Just found an example of these posts:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1