Hostel...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Bit of a misunderstanding. I'm not a fan of horror that could actually happen because it's just not scary to me. I like horror films, but "realistic" ones just don't so it for me.

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

No I didn't. I said 'how much of that (how many of the positive reviews) is due to Tarantino's name...'
    *shrug*

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Saw this, and it's quite a good film. While there is gore, it's not done in a typical fashion. The film is smarter than that. Basically, Hostel ends up being a satirical indictment of the "american" tourist. it treats the two idiot backpackers with a certain level of contempt, and it works. I would reccomend it.

4. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'll be renting it.

5. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

The story was almost non-existant, but the gore was good. Probably some of the most realistic stuff i've seen.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I'm gonna see this. For pointers, if nothing else.

7. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't doubt that at all, all I was saying that even though you did not like Cabin fever, it made 100 million in the box office (which for R rated horror is pretty damn decent) and he's become a golden boy in horror fandom since Cabin Fever came out. Many *many* reviewers have been awaiting his 2nd project to see if it would be great...or a failure.

So while I dont doubt some reviewers are merely not aware of the build-up to the movie, so they name-drop Tarantino....there *is* hype and anticipation based off of Eli Roth's "less than stellar resume".

Again, I don't have anything against you for not like Cabin Fever or even the director himself....just saying *lots* of people disagree and there is definitely a hot movie for horror fans because of that.

-Dusty

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, I don't have any problem with Roth as a director based on Cabin Fever. The gore and the overall directing was fine. It was the writing.
    If Hostel was 'directed by Eli Roth,' I'd be more interested than I am with it being 'written and directed by Eli Roth.'

I don't doubt Cabin Fever's appeal with many horror fans. But it didn't make $100 million in theaters.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cabinfever.htm

It did more than cover it's production/marketing costs, morseo when DVD rental/sales are factored in, I'm sure. I'm actually surprised that it only cost $1.5 million to make. That makes the effects/gore 'n' such even more impressive.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll pass because 99% of horror movies make me laugh. Especially ones with a magical killer like Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Pumpkinhead, etc. Even ones with out those make me laugh. They are horrible in acting most of the time. The scares are not that great. Never been scared nor lost sleep because of a horror movie since i was 10 or so...

10. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Hey, so to you it'll be a comedy. :p 

But seriously, I've been hearing so much about this movie for the past six months or so because Eli Roth originally got the concept idea for Cabin Fever from a backpacking trek here in Iceland, and when he got Tarantino on for his second film, along with some Icelandic movie connections, of course all of the local media hailed the pair as the next best thing.

I have yet to go and see this film, even thought it's been in theatres here for weeks, guess it's just my way of going against the local mainstream or something...

Still, most horror flicks amuse me. I've loved the nightmare on Elm Street series for years now, and it usually takes something severe to make me flinch, so maybe this film will deliver.

Am I even making any sense? :stick: 

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Plan on seeing it. Gotta see why that dude cuts his toe off now.

Looks pretty cool, reminds me of Saw. Will probably end up seeing it on dvd since I rarely get my ass to the movies anymore. lazy

12. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry you are right, I did misquote that. I was reading an interview recently, and I thought he said 100 for some reason. The point was that it did do financially well for an independant horror movie (horror movies traditionally dont make too much in the box office...and even 15 million isoften considered decent).

Edit:
    http://joblo.com/index.php?id=9860

OKay so I didn't misquote him, but I misread his tone. he's obviously exagerating in the part that he said 100 million. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt insane haha...
    -Dusty

13. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I finally got around to seeing this movie and what a letdown. I was bored out of my mind for most of it and was completely tired of seeing random topless women for no reason by the first 10 minutes.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I agree. Not what I expected. I think it pretty much sucked. We saw it last night, and I wish I could have gotten my money back. Wasn't worth $16 for me and my wife to see it. Should have waited for DVD and even then, probably would have paid too much to rent it.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Horror movies rarely scare me when watching them. It's thinking about them later that night when the lights go out that get me.
    Especially after that Blair Witch movie. Kept checking over my shoulder afterwards.

Yes I was one of those poor fools who thought it was real at first

Jason Voorhees is awesome. I'll always be a fan of the hockey mask.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm sold. As long as it's better than Cabin Fever; the only horrific thing about that film was how damn bad it was.