Hopefully the TFCU can attract good directors

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Michael Bay was hesitant about doing TF in the beginning, because to be honest most Hollywood directors do not consider adapting a cartoon-based franchise as a worthwhile and respectful endeavour. Given how most of the other live-action cartoons have been received over the years (The Flintstones, Speed Racer, The Smurfs, etc), this shouldn't be surprising.

MBay had to, let us say, give the franchise adulthood He turned it into a hardcore sci-fi war story, with polarizing reactions among the fanbase and normal viewers (which I won't go into). He's staying on as producer, but we don't know what kind of directors will appear, and like I said above it would be difficult to hire respected directors to work on a live-action cartoon adaptation because of how Hollywood considers such properties.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though. Times have changed, directors are now seriously trying out live-action adaptations of cartoons (notably Disney with their Renaissance films). And so I hope this franchise will attract some legitimately good directors, not just okay ones like Jonathan Liebesman (who I hear may do TF5) but notable and respected names. I'd love to see people like James Gunn, Kenneth Branagh and the Wachowski Bros hired to work on a TF film someday.

2. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

Speed Racer was awesome OP.

(also Transformers was always a hardcore war story)

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, myself I thought it was average. It made a simple racing story into a struggle for individualism against a giant corrupt industry.

But it did have great visuals though.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

ROTF was not a war story, it was a lousy human romance plot with alien robot gods shoved into a hastily written script during the Writer's Strike a few years ago.

I'd think hiring the guy who wrote the film that killed Batman's popularity for years afterward would do more to scare off directors than the chance to direct a film Paramount had to bribe Bay $10 million simply to agree to direct in the first place.

My hope for that died when Kruger of all people somehow is now writing Dumbo.

That, and most of those projects not backed by Hasbro have fallen apart, haven't they? I know Popeye (which actually might have figured out how to finally blend cartoon style into live action where Garfield failed) got canned, at least.

Wait, the Wachowskis?!

The last thing the TF movies need is to be driven further into the ground like what happened with the Matrix sequels - it was like the Wachowskis didn't even know why people thought the first one was any good. Their newest film Jupiter Ascending also sounds particularly awful and reportedly bombed hard at the domestic box office, whereas Speed Racer remains one of the biggest failures in movie making history (even after calculating DVD sales, that film currently still has left WB a whopping $30 million deficit from the total box office revenue not even remotely covering the $120 million budget expense).

With Bay, at least he's still popular enough to ensure the movie he makes will break even in profit. With the Wachowskis? You're lucky if you even get close to being in the black with their track record.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    TF films will never get the director(s) that TF fans want.

6. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

No, he gave us a really juvenile, myopic power fantasy and legitimized it to a (sadly) large portion of the audience by tossing in some of the window dressing from war movies and FPSs.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sadly This.

Besides all the good directors couldn't care less about toy shit.

8. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

Any director that still wants to touch the franchise after the reputation it's gotten with critics either has great plans for the series or wants their career to die. Bay has basically soiled the cinematic name of Transformers, and I truly believe it'll take a Satanic miracle of a movie for the franchise to regain any credibility or potential it had after movie 1.

Pretty much. Say what you will about Bay, he knows what his audience (teenage boys...he's actually come out and said that before in a less creepy way than I put it) wants. Just turns out that "A Good Movie" isn't part of their desires.

9. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 

Yeah, Autobots peeing on people, leg-humping robots, irritating comedy-relief sidekicks, and Devastator's balls constitute making the franchise more mature and hardcore. :rolleyes2 

There's nothing "hardcore sci-fi war story" about the Transformers movies. "Aliens", "Predator", the first two "Terminator" movies (and probably about a dozen other franchises I'm familiar with) hit it, maybe.

10. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I doubt it. With the guy who almost ruined Batman writing and a man whose films are critically annihilated so often it's a wonder he's still in the movie-making business producing, I'd say the chances of having a good director directing a Transformers movie are next to zero, unless a decade or so from now, they decide to make a new live-action Transformers movie universe.

11. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

Yes, if by TF Fans you simply mean G1/toy collectors/people on this forum. If by TF Fans you mean the millions of other people who have watched and enjoyed the movies, making Hasbro and Bay a mint, then they might, because that's who they're targetting.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's going to take far more than just finding good directors.

You need writers who can craft solid stories. The sort of people with the spark of creativity that they can think several films ahead and stop their film bad guys by more than just killing them all off at the end of the movie. The sort of writers who can give you more than just the paint by numbers formula of generic summer action movies. A story that feels new and different instead of fill in the blank.

You need producers without so much contempt for fans and for the little people. You don't need your producers fueling some sort of us vs them fight. A producer needs to be thinking how can we get everyone into the theater instead of how can we piss off some segment of the people just to show what Hollywood big shots we are.

The attitude at Paramount needs to change to we need to step up our game to compete with other studios instead of just hoping we can cash in on pop culture names with movies for people with no taste or standards. Bad GI Joe movies, bad Star Trek movies, it's like Paramount is becoming a studio of bad movies. If they want the bragging rights of top domestic box office then they need to change what they are doing. Instead of one of Hollywood's biggest studios they are looking like a mid tier studio constantly getting beat up by the other studios domestically. Paramount's biggest film from their biggest franchise in 2014 got beat by $102 million domestically that's why Paramount will only try to spin their international numbers.

13. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Not necessarily, both the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy had the same basic formula. They weren't going out of their way to tell original stories.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Bingo.

15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

The fanbase is pretty much split down the middle when it comes to the movies.

16. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    The Marvel stories success lies in the quality of the characters interaction and development. The transformers writers are afraid to try this.

17. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe the new ones won't be?

18. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan The Sept of Kaon

News Credits:
    Well, I hope so. But these movies do have a history of dashing hopes.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not just these movies but just about every Paramount movie lately. As a Transformers fan I feel let down, as a GI Joe fan I feel let down, as a Trekkie I feel let down. Sometimes it feels like other studios are going out and rewarding people for being fans but as a fan I only seem get punished by Paramount for being a fan.

Heck even Interstellar was a huge let down after the hype was promising something far better than what we got. I haven't seen it but disappointment gets thrown around for Noah and Paramount's Hercules as well. Kind of bad when you have trouble remembering the last time Paramount put out a film you were happy with.

20. tokuformers

tokuformers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    afraid, do not know, do not want or are prohibited?