Honest Question: Does anyone want ONLY G1 and nothing else?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lord Dcast, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

At this point I'm all but done.

All I want is masterpiece versions of Galvatron and Motormaster.

The last two G1 Decepticons I had.

With the latter being more likely.

For me Beast Wars concluded with Tigatrons announcement.

The only exception would be Big Convoy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't want solely G1, there's plenty of other non-G1 figures that deserve fully articulated updates. I'm enjoying the more faithful G1 push Hasbro's been using in Generations for the past years but that might not last forever so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

We've got Beast Wars and Armada anniversaries coming up so I won't be surprised to see either series get more love in Generations. I think it's only a matter of time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want G1 expanded with other things.

So outside of G1, my interests lie mostly with stuff that has no MAJOR vintage G1 parallel.

Oil Slick (evil Ratchet or the animated guy), Barricade, Slipstream, Nemesis Prime, Sideways, Decepticharge, Nitro Zeus, Animated Prowl, Sentinel Prime, Omega Prime, Sentinel Major (aka Animated Sentinel Prime), Bulkhead, Drift, Windblade.

I'm no longer interested in multiple collections/shelves. I want it all harmonized into one basic style.

For me, there's the 84 shelf in progress and the 86 movie shelf and they can be supplemented by new things that blend.

• Like Like x 2
  4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    No, for me. Though to many it may seem like that. I don't mind other things existing. Hell, I also collect Studio Series. But I'll sooner put a bullet in my head than spend my hard earned money on anything other than G1 and Studio Series.

Don't take the whole "IDW is G1" argument either. IDW is fanciful fanfiction trying to pose as OG Transformers, so I don't get that stuff either.

5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 mainly but it's getting close to being done.

Need Beast Wars, BWII, Neo and Car Robots. Reason being, that's when my nostalgia ends. Couldn't stand Beast Machines, Unicron Trilogy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

I just like robots that turn into things that are not robots. Don’t particularly care which variant of the mythos they’re from, as long as they’re fun and look cool. The supporting fiction is less important to me personally.

The only reason my collection is more G1-ish is that’s where the majority of the “real world”, non-Cybertronian alt modes reside. I’d happily take a completely noncanonical Alternators-esque line of updated Car Robots / RID designs, for example.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I do love G1 but I am tired of the constant rehash of the same characters. That's why I like Titans return and POTPs to an extent. Those lines gave us a lot of characters that had not been done yet.

I would absolutely love to see some new takes on some BW toys like TM and TM 2 Megatron, scorponok, terrorsaur. Maybe a fresh take on Beast Machines Megatron and more new versions of Vehicons like T30 Tankor.

The main line I would like to see fresh takes on is RID 2001. The originals are still pretty good, but I would like to see what they could do with them now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think G1 and G2 are still the lines in greatest need of updating. The only other line that could use some serious updating is Armada and some parts of Energon. But everything is basically on par with modern action figures to various degrees of success - and some updates fail to truly update. I'm sorry, but you can't tell me that PotP Optimus Primal is superior to the vintage version. Same with Cybertron Optimus Prime vs Siege Galaxy Armor Optimus. Or Universe Cheetor vs the vintage.

So yes, let's finish up G1 before moving on to updates that don't actually update - if you want Cybertron Optimus Prime, just go buy the original or hope that TT does an Encore version.

9. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will say that the biggest update I see for BW is pins and hinges.

Balljoints don't age a figure and if the proportions are good, new BW figures are unlikely to top reissues, particularly Takara's.

Cheetor is fairly unique as a BW figure that needs more than a reissue.

10. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I would kill to get something new. We haven't had non-g1 generations designs since thrilling 30s, 6 years ago. G1 has been pretty played out, its time to get some fresh design blood. I'm starting to get burned out on 36-year-old designs.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm slowly getting burnt out by all the G1 aka the boomer line.

It's amazing that even Cyberverse has some non-G1 thrown in. (Cheetor and Sky-Byte for example.)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I don't believe any G1-only collectors would say they hate that other versions of the characters are being released (and I suspect the ones who say they do were harassed for liking only G1 and are saying so out of spite, not desire); it's more that they just wished more G1 focused toys were made. Really as long as we collect what we want and don't judge others' collecting habits (or worse, tell them that they're wrong for liking something), then who really cares in the end. We'll all get what we want eventually, whether it's from fan demand, a changing of the guard at Hasbro, or anniversaries. ...Except for Animated weirdly enough. That's been ignored. Would love an Animated Red Alert, Hasbro. Just sayin'...

As for me, I just collect what is cool. I grew up in the G2 era and while I hope we get updates to characters like Hooligan and Terradive someday, I'm good with what we're getting now, G1 or otherwise. Though I am super stoked for the Quintesson. That's just awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Heck no. Yeah there's some G1 figures I want to see updated like Star Saber,Thunderclash,Deathsaurus and Sky Quake,but it's about time the other eras get their time to shine. After 14 years of Generations being mostly G1 characters it's long overdue. I know people will make the arugement that certain eras like BW don't need updates because they have ball joints and such but most of them aren't also show accurate which is what Generations is now ehaded towards. Not to mention there was a time that people felt that MP BW figures weren't needed because of how spot on they were to the show models but Takara proved them wrong full force. with how WFC's making the G1 cast look a lot like the show models no reason why it can't be the same for BW or for that matter eras like the UT trilogy which a lot of the characters need updates the most especially from Armada's portion which due to the gimmick being badly implamaneted ended up as being more brickish then vintage G1 figures.

Which is why I never understood the argument that there shouldn't be any more attempts of giving us modern updates of the other TF era characters because the last modern attempts didn't do well. If anything that should motivate Hasbro more to do learn from their mistakes and do proper and definitive updates to those characters when the time is needed. If we're going by that logic that means there shouldn't have been more attempts at giving us more definitive updates to guys like Ratchet,Ironhide and Galvatron in Generations because their last few attempts at modern updates fail to hit the mark with fans.

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Do you even know what a Boomer is?

You have a point on Beast Wars animation models. But the only ones that were very egregious were Black Arachnia, Rhinox, Scorponok and Dinobot. Three out of the four have already had modern updates, although Dinobot probably needs a second crack and BA was a TT exclusive. Still though, I bought the crap out of Beast Wars and watched it all during my college years. If you were to ask me if I want an updated BW Dinobot or an updated G1 Venom, I'd take Venom.

I think you're missing my point, though, in that the originals they are trying to update are actually SUPERIOR to the failure. I don't think anyone thinks the original Ratchet, Ironhide or Galvatron would stand up in a CHUG collection. But I'd argue Beast Wars Optimal Optimus and Cybertron Optimus Prime would.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Marvelboy1974

Marvelboy1974 Well-Known Member

While I’m most a G1 season 1-3 kind of guy, there are characters from other continuities I’m a huge fan of:
    1. 2001 RID Scourge/ Nemesis Prime
    2. Armada Starscream
    3. TF Animated Bulkhead
    4. TF Prime Knockout
    5. Windblade
    6. Go bots Crasher and Leader 1
    7. Nautica

• Like Like x 1
  16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Hardly Boomer, My parents are Boomers, 69 and 70. 42 is not a boomer. We are Gen Xers

• Like Like x 5
  17. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I collect figures from so many different toy lines I could never dream of having a complete collection of anything. I just cherry pick the figures I like.

I can't wrap my brain around the mentality of people who don't want certain toys made just because they have no interest in them. If I'm not interested in a toy, I don't buy it. It's as easy as that.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    We've yet to get a Dinobot that's strongly resembles his show design like how we've yet to get actual show accurate molds of guys like Terrorsaur, or in cases like BW Silverbolt and TM Megatron need to have more in scale figures since the originals didn't scale that well with others. There's also the case of us not getting figures of the two Maximal and Predacon Leaders that really does definitive updates to their Season 1 bodies. There's plenty to improve upon the BW cast or at least a good deal of them. I know people will suggest reissues and just getting the original figures but reissues haven't always gotten good results like what the Encore Fire Convoy set had proven and that not everyone can afford to buy the original figures especially since most of them go for high prices.

The point I'm making here is that just because the last attempts didn't manage to be superior updates to the originals doesn't mean that you shouldn't do a better job next time with the mistakes being learned. Especially with how far toy technology for Transformers have advanced greatly since then. For crying out loud people have been praising the WFC line for giving us definitive updates to classic G1 characters that far surpasses all other attempts at them even ones that were highly praised before their WFC versions came to be, so imagine that same thing being done for the BW era and onward.

19. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    I don't necessarily want them avoid G1 but move on away from Megatron, Prime and the other handful of characters that must impose themselves into every line.

Especially when the line has plenty of its own characters. Headmasters didn't need a Prime nor a Megatron. Nor a Hotrod for that matter. Not when there were plenty of Head/Target/Power masters who could've been adapted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You just can't build an entire line on a few figures needing updates, though. We would have to return to a T30 shotgun style of updates but I'm unsure Hasbro wants to do that right now.

And as far as original figures going for high prices, you can buy a pre-owned Fire Convoy loose right now on Ebay for $70 and brand new for $120. If they did an update like they did for Cybertron Optimus Prime, I'd tell people to spend the extra $20 to $70 and just buy off Ebay for an original.

BTW, it's taken 35 years to get what I'd consider a standard bearer Optimus Prime in the main retail line...and that's Optimus freakin' Prime! Disappointingly, I don't think we'll ever get the same for Megatron due to the nature of this alt mode.

Again, though, the improvements compared to the originals would be marginal in terms of articulation and build quality in terms of Beast Wars. The only improvements would come in terms of appearance and, apparently for Warden's team, steps backwards rather forwards (looking at PotP Primal and Cyberverse Cheetor). They're getting closer with Hammerbyte - but I question if Warden's team is really beast design capable enough to handle and a full blown Beast Wars revisit might end up being a 'careful what you wish for" proposition. I honestly think that letting this team get out all the G1 updates they can is a better idea before moving on.

Armada and Energon, though, are honestly best places to start if Warden wants to try for non-G1 updates. Siege Galaxy Prime is arguably a bust when compared to the original toy...but that wasn't the best place to start when taking a crack at the Armada Trilogy as Cybertron was overall near CHUG-level quality. The likes of Armada Optimus Prime or Energon Megatron would be a much better place to start. I'd even like to a see a skinnier Energon Optimus Prime that still functions with his Scramble City drones...