Highway Bridge Collapses over Mississippi in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Knightsword, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That is so scary :(  I don't get exactly what happend though. Is there not enough news on it right now?

2. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Local yes, but national I dunno

3. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Just checking in to let you know I'm okay. If you live in Minneapolis, give a holler so we know you're all right.

4. ChaoCatcher

ChaoCatcher Anarchist Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL, all part of being "fair and balanced," I guess. :p 

Honestly... it wouldn't surprise me. And it wouldn't be the first time government's covered its tracks to hide its mistakes (and crimes).

You may have a point. Occam's Razor tells me it's poor maintenance. But the anarchist/don't-trust-the-guv'mint side of me tells me this COULD be "something else..." But I'm not gonna jump to any "conclusions" beyond the more obvious (and simplest) explanations.

You're right - it seems like anytime there's a major story like this, once you get about an hour or two into the live reporting, it all turns into redundancy and idiocy. I mean, earlier they had the head of Minneapolis' non-emergency line on for an interview. What kind of "answers" do they expect to get from a NON-emergency city employee?!

And then they're occasionally talking about people wondering how they're gonna get to the Twins game tonight. I mean, JEBUS! A MAJOR DISASTER has happened, and some idiots are only concerned with the delay in getting to a stupid friggin' BALL GAME! :mad 

Jebus... :banghead: 

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I just realized I had been on that bridge back in 99 or so.

That's a lot of highway - and right at rush hour. :( 

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There are a few factors that could have attributed to this. There were fatigue cracks in the bridge that was reported by mndot, and one side of the bridge had heavy traffic, while the other did not, and there were construction crews on the bridge.

It was built in the 1960's and was built in a manner that "didn't need" a center pylon. The newer bridge next to it does have one.

My immediate family is all safe. Not sure about all of my friends yet, but I don't think any of them travel that area at that time. My brother-in-law was on the bridge two hours before the collapse. He said it looked like a lot of construction vehicles were on it and wondered if the bridge could hold all that weight.

I should also note that the Twin cities area has been getting hammered with road construction this summer worse than any other time I can remember. A recent study gave Minnesota the second worst rating for most gridlocked area in the US, behind California.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  8. Knightsword

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The reason for the lack of the center pier is due to the close proximity to a lock and damn. As for the Twins game is was just about to start when the bridge collapsed and the concern is getting the people in the stadium out with out causing traffic problems due to the Metrodome being across the street to one of the hospitals (HCMC) where people are being sent to.

9. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife would have been on the bridge near that time today if not for a friends B-day. She left early from work to go to a happy hour with her. Shocked beyond words. I drive this bridge all the time!

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Watchin on CNN. That's crazy :( 

11. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Some eye-witness reports have people pulling bodies out of the water, putting them in stretchers. Police officers walking past cars looking in to see people decapitated or in pieces, marking the car, and walking on.

Radio report from firefighters has a quote of: "All those who can be hospitalized have been sent."

:( 

My prayers to all. Minnesota people, please check in.

12. adamthered

News Credits:
    For those of you who don't live here I can't stress just how majorly important this bridge is to downtown Minneapolis. It's right by the Metrodome, the University, just a whole lot of stuff.

Traffic is going to be fucked here for months now, not that it hasn't been fucked for the last few months anyway (anyone here who's had to deal with the whole "unweave the weave" bullshit knows what I'm talking about).

13. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amen, brother! I live in White Bear Lake and work on the other side of all of that, have to fight through it daily.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm still here, I just got back from the scene. Crazy shit, it's like a carnival for blocks around the area.

I got some cell phone pics, but I can't post 'em.

This is a good example of what happens when you don't give the highway system the money it needs - the roads around here have been severely underfunded for some time. Traffic is indeed going to suck in Minneapolis for months to come.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hey, that's definitely the major concern right now!

...Jesus.

16. Knightsword

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey, many of us in Minnesota and esp those of us in the metro area are under a lot of stress, and thats just his way of working it out

17. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

Minneapolis is still my home, even though I don't live there now. I've driven over that bridge a million times. I've been stuck in traffic on that bridge many, many times. I'm in utter shock. I don't know what to say. (Except to wonder how I missed this thread when I first looked for it; sorry I started a redundant, new thread. Thanks, Knightsword.)

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I see what you mean, but it sounds like the death toll is pretty low so far - only 6 confirmed. Let's hope it stays low.

19. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I have driven that bridge more times than I can count. I just wish the fucking phone circuits would clear so I can call family and friends in the area.

20. adamthered

News Credits:
    If you think I'm not concerned about all the families involved in this accident you're extremely wrong. I was just pointing out a fact. A lot of people here are going to be effected by this, emotional and logistically. My thoughts are aimed toward every single person that was on that bridge. Sorry if I came across as some kind of uncaring asshole but that wasn't the case.