High Quality Plastic

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by totally5664, Jul 17, 2014.

1. totally5664

totally5664 Well-Known Member

I recently picked up TFC's Phlogeus and its plastic was unlike that of any Transformer I have ever handled. I was surprised how heavy it was, and the plastic had a nice smooth finish. In a purely tactile sense, I would rank Phlogeus as top tier.

Are there other 3rd party Transformer that match Phlogeus's plastic quality?

2. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

I loved the feel of the MMC Razor Claw. That one stuck out to me.

3. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    ^All of the feralcons, as they have the same plastic(s).
    I like quakewave's plastic, as well as steelcore and assaulter.

4. MakeToysGiant

MakeToysGiant Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Interesting, maybe TFC did respond to their typically tacky plastic with better quality ones.

5. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Of all the 3P figures I have MMC seems to use the best quality plastic. Other than that Fans project is good too.

6. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Maketoys and MMC's products have the highest quality plastic, it is better than TFC's. TFC's is actually pretty average.

FansProjects and Warbotrons are a little better than tfc's but still not quite as good as mmc and mt.

7. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Anything with good ABS and/or POM plastic deserves some attention.

8. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    MMC, best plastic out of anything I own.

9. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    MMC's Plastic overall is decent. but they don't use the exact same plastic throughout all their releases, let alone through each figure.

Some plastics have been pretty soft, while others feeling too brittle.

it ranges from product to product with them.

I do like the materials used on Perfect Effect toys. Warden is a great example of what great materials used can produce IMO.

MMC's Feral Cons so far haven't disappointed me. but again Each figure has at least 3 different types of plastic used throughout, making them feel pretty durable in terms of playability. on the long-term though, i guess we'll see. ;) 

10. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

Agreed 100%

I have to say I just got TW Swamper the other day and that plastic is really nice too (even the thin parts)

11. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The whole of their Ares line is very impressive. Their versions of Tantrum and Headstrong are exceptional.

12. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Different plastics have different properties, making them suitable for different parts of the figure, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, if used properly, it should make the figure better as a whole.

13. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

there is no "best" as not each plastic has the same purpose etc. as an overall package i'd say PE Warden blows away anything(3P or otherwise) in terms of quality feel in tactile sensation and feels quite well put together and durable too. also remember heavy doesn't always mean good. orion is an example.....love the figure...pretty crappy soft and heavy plastic though.

14. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    From my handling Planet X plastic feels the best. No issues at all with them. Then it's a tossup between TFC, FP and MMC depending on which product. I would probably say TFC as I've never felt like if I dropped them they would break.

FP has good plastic, but not good enough with its extremely high tolerances and if dropped, then I can see some tears.

MMC figs seem to have issues with stressed plastic (out of box) in areas that are not ideal...I still haven't transformed my Hex, one hinge on him has a noticeable stress line. Feral Rex's head has a huge stress mark. Have to be careful I don't overuse the antenna on his head :p  This is not to say that MMC has bad plastic, but they are certainly not the best when it comes to tolerances as those stress marks shouldn't be visible if there were none.

15. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    truth is like all things, everybody is going to have their own opinions on the so-called best plastic debate.

I just know this:

ImpossibleToys used some shitty plastic.

KFC...again, shitty plastic not to mention the use of rivets. RIVETS!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  16. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

I wish there was a plastic expert on this board that could chime in on these sorts of things. I don't know much, but I am fairly sure that there aren't any trade secrets when it comes to plastic. It's more about the temperature the plastic was heated to when it was injected into the mold. Higher temps = smoother finish (ABS). Lower temps = matte finish.

17. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got quite a few 3P toys and in my personal opinion, most of them have decent plastic quality. The ones which standout is
    TFC - horrible plastic, probably the worse out of the bunch
    Fansproject, MMC - good plastic, pretty solid and has flexibility
    Toyworld - good plastic as well, feels solid but seems to be a little brittle and less flexible.

Of course i am sure it also differs from product to product. Generally i would hazard a guess that the more established players have better plastic only because they have learnt from their past mistakes. (MMC for example, their initial released had lousy plastic but their new releases all have had good plastic. On the other hand TFC hasn't learnt much at all from Hercules to Uranos, still the same lousy plastic and i own both)

18. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    batman_slap_robin__bat_slap__by_pickeledpuffins-d3lg1q9.jpg