hidden packages / orbs / flags / treasure sucks.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by smangerbot, Jan 10, 2008.

1. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

HARD. this is of course just my opinion, so i was wondering who agrees with me and who doesn't.

personally i don't like them, i hate the fact that unless i go through a guide, i'll probably never get them all. for example, i probably have about 50% of the flags in assassins creed. i could look for a guide to get the rest, but i can't remember what ones i already have and there are like a trillion zillion of them. add the fact that the world in assassins creed IS FOOKIN' MAHOOSIVE and there you go.

the same applies to gta/crackdown/whatever for me.

so, what do you think about hidden packages / orbs / flags / treasure?

[​IMG]

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I think I've had 3 or so agility orbs to find in Crackdown for weeks, and it's really starting to piss me off.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that your attached image reminds me of how Chuck Norris upper-cutted a horse and it became what we all know now as a giraffe. :D 

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hate collecting stuff especially when it is not critical to the games main story. Seems like they could put more effort into other aspects instead of hiding shit everywhere.

5. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Collecting for unlockables is soooo annoying, I agree. I'm okay with performance achievement type unlockables, but collectibles are just awful.

6. smangerbot

thats basically it, every game seems to have them these days, its a bit like copping out just to add something to the game.

7. Nightcrawler777

Nightcrawler777 Spooky-Bot

Really depends on the Game for me..

Some games like Ratchet and Clank make it fun to try to find all the Hidden little Bits..

But some games make you want to throw the controller when it comes to trying to find everything..

8. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i think they are fun.....the way i like to do things......i play the game through once and collect as much as i can. Then if I'm interested I'll go out and get a guide/walthrough and get the rest. Sure you might end up going to a place where you already got one.....but meh...whatever

Im in the process of doing so with God Of War 2 and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I was going to say almost what Nightcrawler said. Games like Jack and Daxter and Ratchet actually had me enjoying the hunt, but that's because they had simple level design and you could sometimes see the object out of reach and trying to reach it was part of the fun and challenge.

Games like Minis Cap (Zelda) was also fun, what with combining those little stones you found with the ones other people had. God, I forgot how much I loved Minish Cap. I guess I know what I might play this evening.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There are two types of hidden packages I think.

i) Hidden packages that are cleverly hidden away, ie Tomb Raider: Legend
    ii) Just dropped all over the map, ie Transformers

The former is brill, the latter is not. In fact, the latter is frustrating as hell. Especially when once you've taken the time to hunt them all down the payoff isn't nearly worth all the effort.

Transformers, I'm talking to you. Small pictures of the toys in package are not interesting. Especially when I could just go on the internet and google it.

11. smangerbot

yes - agree with this one. but for games like gta and assassins creed, where the maps are huge, and where a package could be hidden in the most obscure place, i find it fairly pointless.

12. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I hate it when collecting those items dont have any awards. Assassins Creed, I collect all these flags and I get an achievement? Pvvvit, whoopie do, gimmie a sword, or a gadget, somthing that's fun.

13. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Yeah collecting is only ok when it is part of the main game and isn't like "collect 100 flags bull " ratchet is ok cause they aren't trying to make it this huge ordeal and most of them are easy to find and are actually kind of fun to look for cause it tells you that there is 4 in that particular world and then you have a stated challenge.

14. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    You guys post fast lol

I always hate when I work hard and there is no pay off, makes me not want to even try. Good example.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Hahahah, yeah. I'm at work, so TFW is almost always open, and I finished all of my edits, so it's a slow afternoon.

You know, this game didn't have Collections "per se" but Shadow of Collossus had Awesome rewards for revisiting the bosses and defeating them.

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Unlockables nowadays are just the devs masking the fact that the game is too damn short.

17. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    REALLY?!? After I beat it I never touched it again except to show friends. What do you get?

Another good example is the damn bugs from Zelda(one for Wii) never did get them all, was there a reward?

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I got all the Hidden Packages in GTA: Vice City, but I needed a guide to find half of them.

I really don't mind it as long as they are not necessary to finish a game.

19. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
  20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get annoyed by these things- ESPECIALLY when they hardly reward you. Getting all 100 flags in a given city in AC gets you what, like, 25 Achievenment points?! It takes hours on hours to find these things, so they really aren't worth it.

I like having reasons to continue to play things, but companys seem to be offering less and less rewards for it. I started another thread about Zelda: Twilight Princess, so I have been playing that. I swear, I never played any other Zelda game where doing a little puzzle or going back to utilize a new ability lands you... rupees! Wee! The older zeldas may have been smaller in size but you knew that you would at least get a weapon/heart/bag upgrade. And achievement points are weak excuses to not throw in any real reason to have a reward for extra gaming.