HEXATRON up for preorder!

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Msz0065

Msz0065 Well-Known Member

That's because it IS lazy.
    Hundreds of straight ridges is not a substitute for real detailing, it's just meant to fool people into thinking they put a lot of work into it.
    A lot of people here know people who did that same exact detailing in high school because they didn't have the skill to draw proper tubes, pistons, or geometric shapes. The people who did this in my art college never got work from the major comic book publishers, or even the small ones.

If you accept ridges as details, then all the more power to you, I really do envy you. But A LOT of people know better or this wouldn't be a recurring subject on these boards.

Remember, no one is complaining that MMC toys have too much detail, they are only complaining that the only detail they have is lazy and a cop out to real effort.

2. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, stores in Singapore are not getting stock either, so it's not just RB for sure. The explanation is simple I think. American toy stores are less competitive because of costs, so they need an exclusivity period to overcharge people with itchy fingers who simply cannot wait. If CP can charge at 130 then you bet RK can charge at 120.

I am a strong MMC supporter, but I'll only be buying this from an Asian retailer and only at a reasonable price.

3. Che

Che Well-Known Member

What?!?!

I actually had to look pictures of Ruffles and (again) Hexatron to understand this complaint... :D  I wish all my figures were like Ruffles if so :tongue: 

4. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry we're too dumb to dis on MMC's design choices. :lol 

5. Msz0065

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I don't mean to offend anybody. I preordered MMC's Predacons sight unseen. I WANT them to do well, and I'm investing 500 bucks on them this year. This will be my FIRST purchase from them.

But look at it this way: This board only has what, less than 50 pages, and something like Hardbone has almost double that in half the time it's been up. Even Nova Lord has more interest in the last 2 weeks. I don't even know who he is! Quake Wave has 300+. Sixshot isn't exactly an unpopular character, and MMC is an established 3P company. So you know something about this figure isn't exactly working for most people.

I mean, a Masterpiece scale figure of a popular character, at a very reasonable price, from a popular company? And it's only got 50 pages? If Fansproject did a Sixshot, do you think it would only have 50 pages?

6. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    I don't mind the detailing. That guy just made me think of the old commercials where they said Ruffles have ridges!

I did notice there were a lot of rows of lines, but I just chalked it up to them going for a distinctive style. Oh shit... Maybe I was that guy in high school who couldn't draw tubes pistons and geometric shapes.

7. Che

Che Well-Known Member

Maybe because Sixshot is not new news... This project has been around for a quite amount of time. I like Fansproject, but their figures don't have so many details either (I would say even less than a Ruffles chip). However, FP is notorious for not giving news a long time before their releases, which keeps the excitement up most of the time...

That's okay, I was laughing of myself looking at pictures of Hexatron and Ruffles potatos at the same time lol.

8. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a big mmc fan and I have this on preorder, but I think the video review sealed it for me and I'll be canceling my preorder. Not a huge fan of the character, was mostly going to order out of respect and admiration for mmcs work. But I'm with Msz here. Usually I love mmcs detailing, but the endless ridges, while technically are details, I don't find to be good details. It's just stuff for the sake of stuff and isn't really adding to the figure. It's not the only reason I'm going to likely cancel my order, but it isn't helping.

I understand the point msz is making too. Detailing in art is about the precision with which an aesthetic is carried out. One straight line can be be more detailed than another is one is done with craft, technique and excellence and another is just a quick sloppy stroke. That's an extreme example, but something doesn't have to be busy to be detailed, an to me hexatron comes off as being busy.

9. nobudius

nobudius Well-Known Member

This dude reminds me of Zoids moreso than Transformers. The comparison to Ruffles is pretty dead on. Some people prefer Pringles.

10. ninjaslacker

ninjaslacker Well-Known Member

So is it confirmed that Greatshot and Shadow will be done too?

11. dominusveritas

dominusveritas Arizonacon™

News Credits:
    As close to confirmed as can be I think. They posted up the pictures and there's not a whole lot of remolding they need to do. Still...I wouldn't hold my breath until colored protos show up. Hexatron took almost forever to release.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This. Nicely put.

Don't get me wrong... this is still an impressive piece. But the repetitive and superficial detailing approach is a bit problematic.

zmog

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is why I love how the WFC-esque Tron-lines are applied in TJ Duckett's sample, and I'm very much hoping they remain in the production piece.

The overkill of superficial detail is subdued a lot by some of the darker colours on him, especially on the boots where a bulk of that detail is located. And then the bright Tron-lines downplay it more by drawing attention away from them.

It's a little distracting looking on the prototypes, and on the harsh-edged lines of the renders, but the production version so far looks pretty darned good.

14. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I was in a car for an hour today with a screaming, whining, crying, almost 4 year old kid..... and I swear I think he posts on this board!!!!

15. Msz0065

That's awesome! I made the same crack about MMC's Divebomb in the Predaking board a few weeks ago! Then I found Hex's board, but I didn't want to repeat the same joke! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw it!

I preordered Divebomb but decided to cancel Hex until I saw some real reviews. Unlike Lay's, you CAN eat just one Ruffles.

Eagerly awaiting someone to repeat my Bionicle crack next...

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  17. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  18. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    On the plus side, they're perfect for dipping.

19. Liminality

Liminality Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looking at Hexatron actually made me appreciate my vintage Sixshot even more.

Its simple aesthetic even without much articulation is just so perfect.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

:rolleyes2  :rolleyes2  :rolleyes2 

I think it's always a tough balance for a 3rd party artists, wanting to walk the line between the familiar charm of a favourite design, and giving it its own spin and aesthetic, so it stands on its own and can be called more of an interpretation than just an imitation. I think that works in many cases...

...this time, I think I'm missing the oldschool vibe. I'm not sure why, but some little things like the exhaust pipes on the forearms, and the spikier forms don't do it for me, and the ridge pattern just reoccurs too much over the whole figure. Upper legs, lower legs, wings, swords, guns... less would have been more. The white guns especially distract me. Reminds me of an old building toy I had as a kid.

Oh, hey... this stuff:
    [​IMG]

(well that brings back memories... nostalgic appeal of Hexatron... growing.... ) :) 

zmog