Heroes (or Villians) You Genuinely Looked Up To

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gretnablue, May 25, 2014.

1. Gretnablue

Gretnablue Well-Known Member

We've all heard that superheroes are suppose to be either people we look up to, people we want to be, or people that are relatable to us.

However, has there ever been a superhero that you genuinely looked up to or related to? Not in a general sense, in a personal sense.

For me it's Cassandra Cain (who's also my favourite superhero).
    [​IMG]

Why? Well when I was young, I struggled with writing and speaking and if you know anything about Cassandra Cain you know what I mean. It also probably helped that her run as Batgirl was the first comic series I read fully and when I first got issue number 1 by accident (because my Mom mistook it for Batman) was in hospital at the time.

2. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Kate Kane as Batwoman.

3. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Spider-Man.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I have always been a pretty nerdy and scrawny guy, so basically any nerdy hero that gains super strength as at least one of their powers.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Dick Grayson/Nightwing. Not him as Robin though.

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I don't think I have any. There are lots of heroes that I like and enjoy reading, just that I've never been able to relate/look up to fictional characters as heroes.

7. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    Spider Man. Which I expect will be a popular answer with guys around my age as Peter Parker was intentionally created as a (relatively) normal awkward school student so that us awkward school students would identify with him.

That's the only one I can genuinely say I in any way had as a role model at any point in my life. I mean, any guy who tells you they haven't wished they were Batman at least once is lying, but that's hardly the same thing.

8. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Seconded. These characters aren't real, and could never be role models for me.

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are a lot of them for all different reasons but the common moral or theme seems to be a character overcoming a tragedy or having to overcome something and become the great person that they are (as opposed to going to the dark side)

I hear a lot of people say Cassandra Cain (as the OP did). I'm writing a really long Batman fanfic and I am getting a lot of "Where's Cassandra?" though she won't be in my story a lot of people want to see her more involved, in stories, in comics, in all media.
    I'm not as familiar with her as I am with other Batman characters so my curiosity is piqued now.

10. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I used to have a really bad temper. I have the Hulk tattooed on my upper back as a reminder to keep my anger in check. His hand going up the back of my neck, just above the collar line symbolizes the rage that can claw it's way out at any time.

I'm usually a pretty mellow and laid back guy, but don't make me angry ;) 

11. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Captain America. This is a guy who stays on course with his moral compas no matter how hard on him it may be.

12. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    We wouldn't like you when you're angry

13. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Also BTAS Harley Quinn,first female character where I really felt she was saying it was ok not to be sensible and sensitive and rational even in a world which demands those things of girls and women in particular.

14. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Hm, can't say I ever looked up to a superhero really, but I always did admire Starfire's eternal optimism and kindness in her cartoon incarnation; the most humane of the crew despite not even being human.