Here we go again...(Second Oil Rig Explosion)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hot Shot., Sep 2, 2010.

1. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    More reasons to read beyond the headlines.

This seems to be quite common in the way the media operates. When a big incident gets people's attention, similar (even insignificant) stories always get a lot more press in the wake.

Doesn't make it easy to keep things in perspective.

that's a bit suspicious alright ... can't be just coincidence...

-it's a conspiracy!

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I do hope you looked at the quote that I was replying to with that oh so funny pic. Cause you know, context matters. :confused2 

3. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

This is just me wishing, but I hope this spurs some actual REGULATIONS for the oil industry!

This is exactly why Obama wanted to put a temporary stop on oil drilling. It wasn't for the green energy technologies to make a leap forward, it was for those oil rigs to be inspected by a third party. Can you really trust a horribly unregulated industry to honestly inspect their own equipment? Its like BP's internal investigation showing that they did absolutly nothing wrong. Oh really???? Is that what YOUR PAID EMPLOYEES TOLD YOU???

4. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

well hopefully it gets contained quickly,no sea creatures get harmed & the beach shores are well protected.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You would have to get into a significant percentage of people driving electric cars and/or plug in hybrids to really save fuel. But then you're running into all of those cars needing electricity, and then you're using resources elsewhere. To make PiH's work well you will need more renewable power and a better power grid to handle the demand.

The stop on drilling wouldn't have affected this fire at all, this was a platform that has been out there producing for a quite a while. There isn't a magic bullet waiting in the wings, and really to talk much more about it will violate the politics rule.

Read the article, virtually no oil actually spilled.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. PurdueAV2003

PurdueAV2003 Engineer

News Credits:
    Everyone always talks about the environmental damage from these oil rigs (which, don't get me wrong, is no laughing matter), but the big problem I see is that there are major SAFETY concerns on these rigs that needs to be addressed.

As someone that works in the aviation industry and deals with the safety of airline passengers on a daily basis, I cannot believe the lack of accountability on these oil rigs. Our aircraft are designed to have multiple redundancies built in, so that no single failure can take down an aircraft. We perform regular, rigorous maintenance on the aircraft, with intervals set very conservatively. If an airline fails to perform maintenance, as required, that airline will face significant penalties. There are protections in place, as well, to protect workers from pressure from upper management if they feel something is unsafe. And if an aircraft is lost due to improper maintenance, not only is the company liable, but the INDIVIDUAL that performed the maintenance can be found liable, too, and possibly the manufacturer that wrote the procedures. I won't say that things don't get pencil-whipped in our industry, but there are LARGE incentives not to do so.

As much as bitch and moan about the FAA, no one can argue that they haven't done a good job at keeping the airline industry safe. Just look at the reduction in crashes, injuries, and fatalities over the last 25 years versus the increase in number of flights. If the MMS spent more time properly regulating oil rig safey, like the FAA, and less time snorting coke, those 11 people might not have died on the Deepwater rig.

7. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Only good thing for this one is the fire was out.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    As pointed out virtually no oil was spilled..and even better the people on board were OK.