Minor/Repaint: Hench to Brawn WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OptimusTimelord, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will strive to make the head the best I can. Most of it won't take long, but my faces are still improving. I need more practise with organic modelling to really get that MP look. But we'll get there.

My references will be MP11's head/face, MP Red Alert's face and Tecrom Design's General Ironside (I think that face is just perfect, all it'd need is a bigger grimace and it's Brawn all over imo).

2. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I'm sure you'll do great man, a lot of it is just building up geometric shapes. Just don't give him MP-12 style lips!! :( 

3. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

This project is looking fantastic!

I would definitely be up for buying a kit off Shapeways.

4. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sideswipe has lips? I don't think I've ever looked close enough :lol 

Naw the only bump you should really see is the bottom lip, which is needed to define the jaw and help define the cheeks. Without it it just wouldn't look like an MP face.

5. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to see a shapeways version of this!

6. OptimusTimelord

More progress...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Breathtaking dude!

8. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good mate! Love to see how you're gonna fit that thing in alt mode though ;) 

Just to note I'm away this weekend so no update from me this time. Head's going well though, I'm playing around a lot to make the face look as natural as I can. Got so many pictures of various Brawn heads stuck all over my desktop to help design it :D  I'm off work from Wednesday to Saturday so I'll get some serious work done then, hopefully have something to show by Sunday! I'm expecting the head to be a leetle smaller than Op's right here. The arms are also getting an overhaul, into their fourth iteration. I got into the Transformers Legends android game and loved the character art for Brawn, so I'm rejigging the arms to look like those. A little more visually interesting.

9. OptimusTimelord

Thanks bud! :thumb 
    The head is definitely a fraction bigger than I'd have liked. Trouble was the curved parts of the helmet, taken from a Bionicle figure, led the head to be this size. Maybe 10% smaller or so I think would be perfect. Same with the hands I used, they are slightly bigger than ideal.

Let's hope TT's current onslaught of Masterpieces doesn't include a Brawn just yet! :p 

10. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha indeed! Very pleased to hear about Wheeljack and Bumblebee, just thrown those two Classics up for sale and very glad to be upgrading! Kapow have reduced their prices to £55 so I'd recommend taking a look there if you're interested.

Yeah I hear ya, not to worry. Once the head's complete we can manipulate it's size as much as we need to get it perfect. The hands, if you think they're a bit big, I'll reduce the size of the ones I have by 10% or so since they're a direct model of MP12's hands (wait, you're using Alt hands right? MP12's might be fine).

11. OptimusTimelord

I just ordered Prowl from them last night (don't like pre-ordering stuff too far in advance, but hopefully those newer low prices will remain standard). Bumblebee's I'm sure must be a placeholder price, either that or he comes with the Space Bridge or something! I don't know why everyone is so desperate to pre-order him almost a year in advance but I can wait a while...!

I did use Alt hands yeah, so they will already be bigger than your MP-12 ones. Seeing him all in colour helps too, I think if you're reworking the forearms even they could stand to be slimmed down a bit (think it's the dark green making the shoulders blend into the figure a bit and seem small compared to the lighter forearms. I'd love to bulk out the thighs if possible but there's not a lot of room in alt mode, maybe you can make sure they're using as much width as possible in the CAD.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It might just be me, but the only gripe I have with the latest progress is the head. It's a fine sculpt, the epitome of Brawn. It's just a tad big. I know Brawn isn't exactly a pin head, either. Just my two cents.

13. scottie_bee

scottie_bee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree with the head being a little too big, design wise it's great!

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm totally okay with the bigger forearms, though.

15. OptimusTimelord

I agree dude. Glad you like the sculpt, I'm really out of my comfort zone making heads so that's cool :)  Don't think I could go through it all again though to get it smaller (or get helmet parts) so for the time being he's stuck with it I'm afraid... Until we can sort out a final Shapeways head at least.
    Cheers! :thumb 
    Interesting. Wonder how they would look with smaller, MP-12 size, hands though.

16. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, just a question about the original head. I just noticed there's no screw on it... so how'd you get it off? Just pulled off or something more sinister?

17. OptimusTimelord

The original Hench head actually has a ball joint protruding from the neck into the torso, so you need to unscrew the two halves of the torso to get it off (via the screw in the spare tyre on his back :thumb  )

EDIT oh and also the two screws above his head (covered by two small plugs).

18. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cheers! I missed out on Hench but have a Bushwhacker en route which I am planning to repaint into Brawn and obviously headswap. Helps me prepare, thank you.

19. OptimusTimelord

Just a few pics to show how this guy fits together in alt mode. Yes, there is room for his huge melon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

Talk about 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pounds bag ! It's amazing you squeezed all that bot in there !