Minor/Repaint: Hench to Brawn WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OptimusTimelord, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    heh not to worry, I enjoy rendering things that aren't all curves, corners and random three dimensional shapes :p  It'll be a nice break from hands/arms! I hear ya on third party stuffs.

Think I'll have to get meself some of those rounded mitts too, they do look sharp! The funny thing is not only would it save time, but y'know they'd probably be cheaper to buy than printed ones.

I've thought about that, I'd prefer the look of a dual swivel combination akin to MP12's elbow. It'd probably do more for articulation at those points too. I'll have a fiddle, though I'm not sure how much space it'd free up within the arm. I'd be concerned with making the forearm totally hollow, that wouldn't look right.

I think those hands measure in about the same as MP12's, I'll double check the dimensions when I get back to my laptop later. If it is indeed the case we should be alright for space within the forearm.

And sorry to hear about it Op bud :(  Get better soon!

2. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks *sniffle*! Yeah it would be good to be able to use those hands. I'm sure some sort of wrist plate with a built in attachment similar to the ball joint piece that comes with the hands would work.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's on the to-do list :p  But at least I can give Sideswipe his hand back and he can go back on the shelf! My to-do list:

- redesign arms to use swivels joints rather than ball joints
    - edit torso joint sockets for a little more lee-way
    - adapt wristplate for new hand design, forearm too
    - render bumper/neckplate

The problem with the second-from-last one being I don't have a set of the hands on...hand *toot!*, so I can't be spot on with my rendering. Budokhan's measurements should make for a pretty accurate render though!

4. thrustjet24

thrustjet24 Little known member of the Rainmakers

I am loving this and I cannot wait to see the finished product. I really want this for my Hench!

5. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Hey MB!
    Just a heads -up on pricing for the Hobby Base hands..at the time I got my sets, like not even half a year ago, they were less than $9 for set ( 2 pairs of hands ea.)
    Thats a lot cheaper than shapeways I'd wager! :D 

Also, good to hear those measurements will help some, if ya need anything more just give me a holler! :thumb 

Cheers!

~BK

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $4.50 per pair? That's pretty awesome, especially when the number of parts/materials is considered! Definitely the way to go I think, Shapeways would probably be comparable in price but of course lower quality/lower part count/generally not as awesome. I might grab one set (two pairs?) now so I have some for Brawn and some for Sideswipe, then more later as needed.

And yeah thanks bud :D 

Arm is rejigged, say goodbye to ball joint elbows and hello to MP12-styled dual swivels!

Now this design looks easier on the eyes and less toy-like, but the con to go with the pro is that we lose about 15 degrees of articulation in the elbow. Due to the shape of the arm and required location of the swivel pivot we lose a small amount of bend, but the arm can still manage a sound 75 degrees as is and I will see if anything can be done to get back those lost degrees.

(You can see the welt-indent in the forearm, that's for clearance for the 75 degrees. Actually looks fairly cool as cosmetic detail too.)

Arm articulation is now as follows:

- double-ended ball joint rod in shoulder-torso connection.
    - horizontal swivel in bicep-shoulder joint.
    - vertical swivel in elbow.
    - horizontal swivel in wrist
    - all the hand stuff.

So not too shabby! If this is pleasing to Op and the masses I shall get back to work on modelling the forearm to accept the hands.

Attached Files:

• h7.png
      h7.png
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
  7. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    :D  Thanks! We need to gauge interest in this so every comment helps :thumb 
    Where did you get them from? I had a quick look on eBay and couldn't see that particular type (rounded, 1/100 scale).
    Indeed! Looks very impressive to me bud :thumb 

8. Budokhan

Hey OT!

Ok, originally, I got mine from HLJ but it looks like they either don't carry them anymore ( the 1/100 scale that is) or that they just aren't showing them til they get more in stock. They do however still have some of the 1/144 hands which are just as awesome & work great for deluxe class figures:

Science-Fiction; Option Kits; 1/144 Scale | HobbyLink Japan

I did a bit of digging & found a couple of other places online that have 'em in stock, one cheap, one...not so much:

Hobby Base Hobby Tool Store

Home :: ACCESSORIES & MODEL SUPPLY :: Hobby Base

Remember, when ordering, the "G Gray" hands are like a dark gray while the "D Gray" hands are really just black.

Cheers & Happy Hunting!

~BK

9. Budokhan

Brotha, I'd bet good money on the fact that once you get one set & see how awesome these things are, you're gonna do like I did.... SHOPPING SPREE!!! :lol 

The only thing ( & its a really tiny thing) that disappoints me about the Hobby Base hands is that they haven't made any yet in 1/60 (perfect Grade scale) which would work perfectly for not only Voyager class figures but the MP's as well...:cry 

Ah well, maybe we can get a petition going & let em know how much we all would love to see some larger scale hands!

10. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I'm gonna need to kit out all of my MPs with these better hands, but I think the 1/100 will only work on figures no bigger than MP12 so no rush just yet! Pair for Brawn, pair for Sideswipe, need some more for Bluestreak and then the fun task of getting white ones for Prowl. It's hard to deny that their rounded style is simply awesome and really does make me think "G1 toon". It's kind've like what the MPs have been missing!

I would LOVE some perfect grade scale ones for MP10, MP08, MP13 and MP11. Their hands are all okay....but they really are missing out on so much of the premium feel because of their hands. I'm not sure why TT stick with the style they have....durability vs cost I guess? Either way, I'ma need some of these for all my figures. Getting the right colours is gonna be a PAIN :p 

They appear to have dark grey (black) in stock in the 1/100, but not standard grey currently. I wish there was somewhere UK-based I could just walk in and pick some of these bad boys up at not-rapey prices.

11. Budokhan

Hey MB & OT!
    Okay, just a heads-up hand size example for the 1/144 hands & deluxe class figures in case you guys were thinking about replacing hands for your other GHUG figures like I've been, heres a shot or two of the 1/144 rounded g gray on my Classics Prowl rebuild. Personally ( & from a standpoint of matching the IDW artwork) I think these hands are spot-on size wise!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just IMHO, personally I feel that the 1/144 hands fit most of the deluxe figures much better, proportionately speaking that is. Plus, the back of the hands are more of a normal model kit plastic & can easily be modded to resemble the hands of whatever 'Bot you desire! For the hands on my prowl, Im gonna mod the backs with a bit of Apoxy sculpt & then the hands & fingers will get a nice covering of white paint , but only on the digits & Raised areas of the hands themselves. Most panel lines & all the joints will be left stock color so as to add contrast & a neat little level of detail! :D 

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How is your Prowl going? I was watching it for a long time but then it sort've disappeared and I couldn't find it again.

Brawn's a special case. He'll be deluxe sized when complete, but as the rough and tumble type he'll have hands that match the deluxe carbots in size. That's why he'll be using 1/100 ones alongside MP12 et al.

Though with the apparent current rarity of the 1/100 kits, I think I'm going to finish the MP12 hand renders as a back up. Maybe, once I have a set in hand, I can render the Hobby Base hands too. If this set gets a proper release they'll be needed.

13. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah I already have some of the 1/144, not rounded though and I've held off using them because of that feeling that whoever gets them is gonna stand out from all other figures with these trendy new mitts!
    That's my thinking too, kitting out everybody... A lot of those G1 characters had coloured hands so there's going to be plenty of colour matching needed. It's a shame they don't seem to be available from a UK webstore.
    Good plan. I guess most folks won't be replacing all their figures hands so will appreciate the option of a set from us that matches the standard MP aesthetic.

14. GigaMegatron

GigaMegatron Well-Known Member

awesome i wish i could do that to mine

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You won't have to, a general release kit will be available in one form or another upon completion :) 

16. scottie_bee

scottie_bee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is a very impressive figure! I love how you engineered the head transformation, awesome!

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

:popcorn 

zmog

18. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just a small update to keep things interesting :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scratch built wipers, headlights from a 1/32 VW Beetle kit, and wing mirrors kindly donated by Art Feather Bumblebee (I'm like a Womble me, never let anything go to waste! :lol  )

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  Now I see what you mean about probably not able to include them in the print. Headlights yeah, wing mirrors, I'll try something. Not sure what could be done for Windshield wipers short of printing them and sticking them to the windshield (would people be cool with that?) or entirely replacing the window (god knows how big the thing is, I've a feeling all that black is one piece).

Can't deny that they all add to the alt mode look.

20. OptimusTimelord

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Cheers, they are mainly cosmetic so not vital. The black windscreen is just painted on the main vehicle body. I've made a frame out of styrene rods and glued it on (wanted it to evoke the silverwork I've added around the side windows), so I guess you could model a flat thin piece the same size as that black area which has frame and wipers molded to it, then folks would just need to paint it and fix it over the existing window.

The mirrors are actually fitted in the rectangular slots on the side of the ball socket. If they're the exact right size they should fit and hold just like mine have, and still be removable :) 

As for the black raised area with the silver M on it that adorns Hench's hood, I'm afraid the only way to get rid of it is to sand it down like I did ;)