Helping a veteran?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Daimao, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I could use some help with something. I wasn’t sure where the best place to post would be, it is kinda EBay related but I think I’ll get more help here. I’m selling a Robotmasters Rijie on Ebay and a buyer sent the following e-mail:

Dear boukensilver,

Hi, I'm a returning veteran from Afghanistan my home was burned in September. All of my son's toys were lost and I'm trying to replace them as best I can. I'm having to pay for our apartment and trying to rebuild some of the house by myself. Just wanted to see if you could take less for this item. I'd really appreciate it and be forever in your debt. Thank you and God Bless.

-infinitylion

I would love to help this guy out, I can probably even do more than just give him a discount, but I just want to make sure I’m not being scammed. It IS Christmas time and there are some messed up people that like to prey on people’s kindness this time of year. Has anyone else gotten similar messages? Would it be rude if I asked for some kind of proof? I just wanted to get some more input before moving forward, thanks!

2. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Just ignore it. There's organizations that help people like himself

3. rbarron64

rbarron64 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im always skeptical with these things. He didnt mention your item specifically in his message either, and depending on what your asking for your figure im sure there are cheaper, more mainstream (u.s. releases) options for his kid

4. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Well, there are two options, either he is being sincere or he is trying to scam you.

I won't say which since I don't know for sure. In the first case, there are organizations to help his situation. In the second case, well, he says he's replacing his son's toys and I highly doubt his son had a specific character from a Japan-only toy line.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't give a discount. Ignore it. If you want to make a difference by giving kids toys, there's always Toys for Tots, and at least you know for sure where things are going when you give toys to them.

5. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Too much of a sob story that ticks all the boxes (though he should have mentioned that his son was disabled to get the full set) - My scam alarm just lit up...

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'd just ignore the request. Hopefully, they'll be able to pay for the item at the requested price. I doubt the sincerity of this person, but I could be wrong about their intentions. Still, I'd rather be safe as opposed to being fooled. It just comes off as shady.

7. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the input guys. After looking at his feedback i noticed he bought a lot of stuff since registering in sept of this year. Things are looking a little fishy. I do have a huge box of packaged TFs but i think i'll take them to Toys for Tots, at least then i know for sure where theyre going

8. Keoki420

Keoki420 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When my place caught on fire back in July 2012 and spent my Thanksgiving and Christmas in a hotel and different homes with my wife and 3 boys who was 7, 6 and 1 years of age. I didn't ask for a single thing from anyone. In fact I had to sell off my Macross collectables to try and recoop some funds. We made do with what we had and be grateful that we had eachother and nobody was home when the fire happened. We struggled to move 5 times in 6 months but we made it happen.

So when my place was burnt in July yeah I wanted to get things for my kids but that wasn't my priority as a father, it was to make sure my family had a roof over their head and food on the table. If this guys place caught on fire in September, sorry and that sucks cause its not a fun thing to deal with.

I say scam....

9. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    I got the same message this morning for two of my items. Yeah, my BS detector is going off... he's bought over 200 items on eBay since his house burned down?

Also, a member off The Allspark had trouble dealing with him very recently.

10. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know anything about this particular figure but, my question is, is this a figure someone would really be buying their kids? Is this a harder to get figure? I just don't see someone buying something that isn't from the Prime line or possibly Classics or the movie figures.. for their kids

It just seems like an older figure that pretty much only collectors get now.. not something that a kid would play with.. just my $.02

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Smells like shit.

12. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa! He definitely sounds like a scammer after reading that post. What a scumbag! I wonder if I can report him?

13. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    This looks almost identical to a reply I got on craigslist for some of my DVDs. I'd stay away. Also, when it comes to military, there is a government funded organization which helps pay for things like that.

14. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I sold the same guy (infinitylion) some classics figures a couple of months ago, he told me the same story except the part about being a war vet it was just his house had burned then. I sent him the figures and tracking info that I provided showed that they where delivered and that's when it all went down hill. He said that he never received the figures even though the tracking info showed that they where delivered. He mentioned filing a police report which I told him would probably be a good ides since the figures had been delivered and he couldn't find them. Then he filed complaints with eBay and paypal that where quickly reconciled with the tracking info I provided. Then he started threatening me with negative feed back if I didn't give him a refund, I told him that if he felt that deserved negative feed back that it would be fine but I had done all I could do since everything pointed to him receiving the figures and was lying about not having them or that they had been stolen from his home, either way I was not responsible for what had happened. Id be wary if I where you

15. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Nope.

16. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Wow. The lengths people will go to so they can have free toys. I wonder if he's a collector with no morals or whether he's planning on reselling his ill-gotten gains? What a scumbag.

Well, if there's one thing that's true about the internet, it's that everything's a scam until proven otherwise.

17. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    "God bless" "God's blessed words/work"

Every scam I've come across in the past few months had these words, or an approximation of these words in the opening message.

Being a nonbeliever myself, this rings all the bells when somebody that has never contacted me before asks me to go out of my way to do something extra for them.

18. mandiprime97

mandiprime97 Junkion

News Credits:
    Sounds like a scam.

19. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    At first I felt bad for this guy. Then after reading the rest of the thread, he turned into a scumbag. Some people man......

20. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits: