help with opinion on my dog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xMostWanted559x, May 4, 2014.

1. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

Not sure what's up or if I'm just a worry freak. I notice when she's asleep or laying down for awhile and she first gets up. Looks like her rear legs are asleep or limp and she walks it off a few steps then it's fine. Shes very active and moving other than that. She's only 3 this year and a small rottie. I tried Google and all the talk about it hip displasia.

Not sure

2. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Could be any number of things. You need to have a vet see your dog for observation, possible x-rays, blood work, and a diagnosis.

3. xMostWanted559x

Yea probably will but just wondered if you guys notice yours ever doing that

Similar to this guy for a few steps then she's walked it off

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

What type of floors do you have? Her legs could just be asleep or they're stiff from sleeping on a hard surface. Does she do it when sleeping on a softer surface?

But at three, it's probably just sniffness from deep sleep.

5. xMostWanted559x

She lives on concrete mostly. I notice when she hangs with me in garage a lot since she stays in one spot for long period but in the back yard concrete she moves to different sleeping spots a lot so I don't it happen in yard

6. Wolfguard

Wow, that dog in the video looked like it had a major hot spot near that left rear leg.

Yes, the concrete could be an issue (get a bed or at least some old towels for your dog to sleep on), but it could be anything from bone issues, to something neurological. Legally, no one can/should diagnose without seeing your pet, so I highly recommend going to one in the near future.

7. xMostWanted559x

She uses a big rug when she sleeps but she tends to lounge in different spots through out the day on concrete.

Thanks for advise though. Just had me a bit worried when I noticed it today. But when I move or bend her legs she has no pain or struggles.

8. smkspy

If it were me, I would continue to moniter it. If she shows signs of pain, esp when touch her in that area then I would take her for testing. Dogs can take a significant amountof pain, but so can your waller after a visit to the vet.

9. xMostWanted559x

Yea I'll do that. In meantime no pain I can tell and she's moves very fast and well still

10. Wolfguard

That's just it - many people wait too long to take their pets in because they think the animal can "take it" when in reality, they're allowing their pet to suffer needlessly. And I can't even begin to count how many times over the past 13yrs as a vet tech I have seen people wait to take their dog or cat in to be checked, only to have had a less severe condition made faaaaar worse from waiting and wanting to save money.

Depending on the condition or the problem, the longer people wait, the more money they can end up spending. This is part of the responsibility of having a pet. They are dependent on us to care for them.

11. xMostWanted559x

I have pet insurance for big bills so money isn't an issue. I was just worried :( 

12. smkspy

And I've been to enough vets in my life to know that there are far too many that just love to charge and charge for procedures simply for that $$$. And while a pet is a responsibility, it's also ridiculous to run to your vet every time your pet sneezes or does some odd that you notice for the first time. I'm not saying that he should want months monitoring, but if he's JUST now noticing it, then he should watch for a few days before possibly wasting hundreds of dollars.

13. xMostWanted559x

My dad's pit, had a severe hip issue as a pup. Vet want 5000 to fix. He's two now and seems to be fine as he got older. But it's scary either way to see or feel a pet is hurt

14. xMostWanted559x

Another thought I had I wonder if my concrete in my garage is smoother and slippery making it look like that when she first gets up. My backyard on concrete is not as smooth

15. Wolfguard

You go to them. I work in the field.

I've worked at 9 different practices, and I left the only one who was like that within a month's time of my working there. Maybe you're going to Banfield which IS a corporate machine that pushes plans onto their customers.

Yeah, veterinarians charge for services - it's a BUSINESS. That means we gotta cover:

The rent
    The employee wages
    The equipment
    Maintenance
    Surgical instruments
    Anesthetic machines
    Drugs, both perspiration and controlled
    Syringes - at LEAST 6 different types on hand
    Needles - again, at LEAST 6 different types on hand
    Bandage material
    Oxygen tanks
    Pet food
    Bio-hazard/needle disposal
    X-rays
    X-ray developer maintenance
    X-ray hazardous waste
    Cleaning supplies
    Insurance
    Practice license

There's so much more but basically this all gets covered IF we're lucky enough to 1. get enough business and 2. actually get paid for services. Unfortunately, there are tons of people who say "do everything" then don't pay in full. And with THAT in mind, the Veterinary field is the least paid of the medical fields.

Now what you're implying is not something new; the impression as if vets are sitting in their offices plotting how best to swindle pet owners out of money. For the most part, that's bullshit. Sure, there are some like that just like with anything else, but if you do some homework about your pets and compare and contrast with what humans need, and ask questions, you'll know what's going on.

Just to give you a round about idea of how different the cost is:

[​IMG]

3yr old rottie mix who appears to be somewhat limp at times, and this has been noticed for a while. Sorry, but that doesn't fit your implication here.

I was under the impression it's happened a number of times. A 3yr old dog is pretty young, and rambunctious dogs can sometimes knock their knees out of place. This isn't a "sneeze", it's something pertaining to mobility in a medium to large size dog, which is why I've written what I did.

:sly: 

16. smkspy

Great for you. I've raised countless dogs, cats, horses, and cattle. You've worked for 9 different practices, I've done business with dozens of vets.

:lolol 

Well no shit, I thought being a vet was a free service to the community. :rolleyes2 

So yay! Make excuses for when vets do push unnecessary tests.

Nowhere in my statement did I EVER say that all vets do this nor was I implying that all conspire for such things. However, there are some, no telling how many, that are perfectly willing to enact in such practices because people bringing their pets place blind trust in them. I've interacted with (sadly) more than a few over the years, so I'm just advising caution rather than just jumping right away to" we test for this, this, and this...and if don't find anything, we can this, this, or that."

But hey, he's got teh pet insurance, so our argument mute anyways.

He also more recently said he just noticed it the "other day," which means fairly recently. That is why I wrote what I did. :poke 

17. Wolfguard

Golf clap? Doing business with /= working in the field day in and day out.

Many people treat it as such every day.

Like what? I hear you making these claims and posting no examples. Care to expand on this, or should I just take your word for it?

Which I acknowledged. I've known far MORE who aren't even close to that. FYI - 9 practices doesn't = 9 doctors. I've never worked for a single doctor practice. It was always 2 or more, the most on hand being about 15 + interns at a specialty hospital. Off the top of my head, I've worked with at least 31 different doctors.

I've seen and had to deal with recumbent care for larger dogs who had leg issues. In the case of being able to move/not move due to a possible fracture, knocked out knee, hip problem, ball joint dislocation, torn ligament, etc. I think it's best to jump on something like that immediately, for no other reason than to rule all that out since it's very painful, and the recovery time for such conditions can be lengthy and intense. I'd be a shitty Vet Tech if I didn't advise seeing a doctor.

See potential conditions above and the possible severity. The longer you wait on things like that, the worse it can get. Again, it's not sneezing once or even vomiting a few times, it's some potential mobility impairment in a young dog.

:rolleyes2 

18. xMostWanted559x

No need argue guys. I respect both opinions here. I think you guys made a good point both ways. I'll monitor her to see if it only occurs in the garage as well.

Doesn't seem like a big issue right now but if it is I do understand it can be bad for her in long run

19. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Hip dysplasia is common in Rottweilers, I know, I had to lay down a 5 yr old male before. Fucking heartbreaking.

20. xMostWanted559x

:(  hopefully it's not that. She is smaller and only about 70 lbs so hopefully her hips strong