Help with home network?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Mark, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few upgrades I'd like to do to my home network. Basically, I'd like to go from wifi to hard wired connections for all of the equipment in my upstairs den. I think I will need 5 ports max. So can I get a 5 port Ethernet switch and plug everything into that, then run a single cable from the switch to my wifi router? Any suggestions on hardware? I have (supposedly) gigabit fiber internet so I would want a gigabit switch I guess.

2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Any 10/100/1000 8 port switch will do ya perfect. Then you have room for more connections in the future if ya want.

You can run the Wi-Fi router right into one of the ports as well yep! I have this same setup at work.

What are your plans for cables? Depending on how far you have to run all the cabling I suggest buying a 500ft-1000ft case of cat5 and some ends and a crimper and making your own cables. It'll be cheaper then buying them all pre made.

Home Depot sells all the cabling stuff you need. Other than importing from China its the cheapest place to get it.

If you have money to blow you can even install some nice Ethernet wall plates if you plan on running the cabling in the floors/walls/ceilings.

I just bought a house and plan to do the same thing, wire everything up nice and neat. Wireless is nice but wired is always better

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Thanks.

My friend has the tools to make the cables. Plus they throw out a lot of these at work so I should be able to get them without a problem.

It would be nice to go through the walls and have nice plates but that's not my plan right now. I just need to go down through the floor of the den, then go a short distance along the ceiling of the garage underneath. Then through one wall to the laundry room where the router is.

My house is new construction three years ago and I expected it would be prewired with cat5 but that wasn't the case. Builder said there wasn't a lot of call for it since everything was wifi.

4. rapid_fire

Nice! Let us know how it goes :) 

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Everything rapid says here is true. If you're planning on making your own, a cable tester is also a wise investment since it's a quick way to make sure the pairs are correctly aligned at both ends.

Another option for those hard to reach places is Ethernet over Power adaptors. Basically a pair of boxes you plug into power sockets with one going to your router or switch and the other in the room you desire network in. They aren't perfect; if for example your neighbour uses them also and your mains power somehow bleeds into each other you can end up inadvertently connecting to each other's network.

As for Ethernet wall plates I've seen two types in my travels. Properly terminated ones that require a termination tool to do correctly and ones that functionally have an RJ-45 double adaptor in them allowing a normal cable to be run into the wall and connected at the back of the plate in the same way it would plug into a PC with a matching socket on the outside.

Good luck.

6. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Thanks. Will do. Probably won't be doing this till next month.

Thanks. I've thought of the Ethernet power adaptors. Are they better than wifi?

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Well the adapter use your 110 wiring to carry the signal. So if the issue is wifi signal drop on your second floor . Yeah better than wifi.

Curious though have you thought about a wifi repeater? As long as it gets at least half the original signal they are very effective with less effort. I have a 4 story home counting my basement garage, I keepy night hawk router on the first floor with the repeater on my second. I have smart TVs on every floor in the house and have no issue streaming content which is essentially one of the most taxing things on your wifi.

I did this because it was a simpler alternative to network switches and running cat5

8. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I've tried repeaters but haven't had great luck with them. It seems like they slow the whole network down. I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. A lot of the time it says I have signal but the speed is very slow.

9. Megatron31

Ebay:
    I ran into that issue once we added two nest camera's to the network, after I switched to the nighthawk router I didnt have that issue. My original router apparently wasnt capable of distributing the load it was a $50 Linksys from Walmart . It took me forever to figure out the problem. As initially I thought it was the ISP not delivering the advertised speed, but later found out it was my router while it could reach connection speeds most of the time (signal strength) it wasnt actually operating at that speed. Not even close actually i was connected at 48-56 most of the time paying for charters 60, but it was running at 10 most of the time. Now that im running the nighthawk its connection speed is through the roof and even at the furthest point away from the router or repeater at minimum im still getting 50.

That said my primary device (xbox1) is still hard connected.

10. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I've thought of getting a nighthawk router but funds won't allow for it right now. Also I do a lot of music streaming via apple airplay and haven't had much luck with non- apple routers. I'm currently using the latest gen AirPort Extreme.

11. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Cant help you with the apple side of things, and agreed while the nighthawk is expensive from my experience it was worth every penny and I havnt had a buffering issue since its purchase in summer of last year so if you are eyeing one and can swing it pull the trigger you wont regret it. It was almost powerful enough that I didnt need the extender, but the top floor of the house was a little shy on signal and I already had it so I just plugged it back in and evened the signal out I still periodically take the app on my phone and do a speed check. My wife is a big apple supporter....go figure Im not and we dont use alot of there products for streaming aside from sinking the Ipad up with my audio receiver via bluetooth. I have had some definite compatibility issues in the past with Apple products though so I under stand that.

Good luck, you definantly wont be loosing anything with hard connections, it just wasnt as feasible in my case.

one other thing to consider if you havnt played with it. If you are picking up multiple wifi networks that arent yours, check and see what channel they are running on. Multiple wifi networks operating on the same signal channel can often cause issues. This is an internal router setting but most 2.4ghz have 14 or so channels they can broadcast on and I think 5ghz as 7 channels maybe less dont remember on that one. Anyway there is free app you can download that will show what channel yours and surrounding networks so you can figure out what channel you can use to not be on the same as your neighbors.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  12. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    All done. Everything worked out great. Didn't have any trouble with making the cables or anything.

Thanks all!

IMG_7469.JPG

13. Megatron31

Ebay:
    Glad you got it all hooked up

• Like Like x 1
  14. rapid_fire

Sweet! Looks good!

• Like Like x 1