Customs: Help with getting gloss finish with acrylic paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Starganderfish, May 24, 2016.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hoping to get some advice to improve the paint finish on my painted figures. My finish is just not very good!
    First my process:
    1 - Disassemble figure, removing screws and as many pins as possible
    2 - Lightly sand parts with fine sandpaper (1500-2000) to improve surface for paint adhesion
    3 - Wash parts in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly
    4 - Prime using automotive Primer (for bumpers and plastic parts) decanted from a spray tin and left for 24 hrs to outgas. Primer looks like a lacquer or potent acrylic (no-name brand so can't tell ingredients)
    Priming and painting done with decent quality airbrush and compressor. Primer has excellent paint adhesion
    5 - Lightly sand surface where necessary to remove dust/rough surface from primer
    6 - Paint with Tamiya Acrylics - this is where the problems start to occur. The flat acrylics are great, produce a clean smooth surface (see flat blue/grey piece attached) Some of the gloss paints seem to produce more of a matt/flat texture (see "gloss" purple piece attached) while other gloss (esp red and black) seems to produce a mixed gloss/matt effect - almost looks like some of the paint is still wet even days later, though it's perfectly dry (see "gloss" red piece attached).
    I use the acrylics pretty much out of the bottle, may thin with a mix of 2/3 Demin water to 1/3 Isoprop alc, but for the most part spray as is. Use around 20psi on compressor. Go for several light coatings.
    7 - Allow up to a week to dry. Top coat with Future (again several light coats). Allow week to dry/cure.
    At that point the finish is better, but you can still see the same mixed gloss/matt effect.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to thin the paint more? or lower the pressure on my compressor? Is this the dreaded orange-peel effect I've heard about? How do I avoid it?
    I'm almost at the point of just adding Tamiya Flat base to the gloss paints and painting everything matt!! I've tried a different primer - Vallejo airbrush primer but the surface affect is the same plus the paint peels/flakes off a lot more easily.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm certainly not an expert but that texture looks kind of like what I saw when I sprayed from too far away. Essentially the spray had enough air time to partially dry before hitting the surface so it made a bit of a spatter texture. Maybe that's not it, though cuz future shouldn't be able to dry that fast. I dunno.

3. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmn possibly. None of those examples are future'd, they're just Tamiya paints air-brushed straight. It may be I have to dial down the air-pressure?
    Thanks for the suggestion

4. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    tamiya gloss paint isnt that differ from flat paint...

if you want gloss finish, you can use future floor polish to coat your figure after painting.. if you use it straight, you'll get high gloss aka super glossy, alot of people coat clear plastic in it to make it super shiny.

5. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

I too have noticed there is some inconsistencies in the gloss level of certain Tamiya colours. I love Tamiya paints, and theyre very accessible here, bonus. Back on topic, asides from the varying glossyness, certain colours seem harder to get 'just right'. I find that duller, more natural colours are just easier to use.

Aaaaaaand sometimes I dont give it a good enough stir:eek: .

Nor am I, but this too.

Keep us posted on your progress dude.