Help/Question: Was G1 Runabout released in Japan?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ryan F, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hello!!!

According to the TF Wiki, the Decepticon Battlechargers Runabout and Runamuck were not released by Takara in Japan.

Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers (toyline) - Transformers Wiki

However, I've come across a scan of a Japanese document/flyer purporting to be from 1987, which has a picture of Runabout on it (as well as the Nasta voice-changer toy and a Transformers VHS). Now, I can't read Japanese (and it's not the best of scans), but it seems to me as though it's advertising some kind of mail-away or voucher scheme whereby someone in Japan can get a Runabout figure. Or it could be a prize draw of some kind? Does anyone recognise that logo in the top right corner?

Can anyone in the know provide more detail about this document? Does it contradict the assertion that Runabout was not available in Japan?

Cheers!!!

tf.png

2. Jhaynes

Jhaynes Well-Known Member

The logo in the top right corner is the Takara logo, the Battle chargers weren't released in 1986 in Japan. I own a Japanese book from 1986 that has a page that says Transformers USA and has them pictured. I'm guessing from the flyer you could get Runabout as a mailaway, like you could get Gnaw.
    I remember in the UK a TV advert from summer 1986 that had pullback toy cars that looked like Battle chargers, but weren't Transformers, my guess is the molds were copyrighted to another toy company in Japan, so like Jetfire they couldn't be put out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, thanks for the reply! I’d completely forgotten about this post!

From what I’ve been able to determine, this was a prize draw (the 500 above the picture of Runabout is the number that were given away), and you’re quite right in saying he was never made available for sale (either at retail or as a mail-away).

Still, cool to know that at least a few hundred Japanese fans managed to get a copy of Runabout!

4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    sometimes answers pop up a year later :lolol 

It's always fascinating learning about what was and wasn't released in various regions and the reasons (like -IIRC- Optimus Prime not being available in some mainland Europe countries because another company (Joustra?) had the Diaclone license)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jhaynes

Jhaynes Well-Known Member

It's OK I thought it was strange they weren't put out in Japan too, I found this "Bump and go" Robot toy from 1985. This is very similar to the one I remember in the advert. I think a company like GT Action issused them in the UK
    transformers pull back 1985.jpg