Help me understand the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by hulk23869, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    He was pretty hard to miss, really.
    He even had an 'extreme closeup'.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

So when movie critics don't like the film they are thinking too hard, it's a summer film and you have to turn your brain off to enjoy summer films.

But when someone doesn't get something about the film they aren't thinking hard enough to come up with the sometimes convoluted logic that can only happen in movies.

Damned if you think and damned if you don't think.

3. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    They call that ROTF syndrome.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't think that not understanding how things that happened directly on camera, but in some cases were preordained occurred is the same thing as thinking too hard.

5. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

Wow, paragraphs are you friend! :eek: 

6. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure there has been 500+ pages of Transformers to base on.

All three films had a first hour of mostly talking withjust the odd bit of action here and there like LOTR.

You can still have an exciting action packed film with deep three dimensional characters. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
    I don't expect Transformers to be as good as LOTR but it could still have some better character development.

7. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has nothing to do with that, and you know it. It has everything to do with missing things that are plainly in font of you, in the film that you're supposed to be watching! Of course, you’re going to miss all of them if you’re too busy rolling your eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    But not in a linear narrative.
    The Transformers movies take their cues from 20+ years of cartoons, comics, and toys, adds it's own spices and mixes them together.

If the movies were to do a strict retelling of any series; G1, Cybertron, Marvel Comics, etc they would completely lose the audience.

9. darkeclipse

darkeclipse Active Member

For those who didn't see Barricade

YOU NEED TO GO SEE DARK OF THE MOON AGAIN SERIOUSLY
    HE'S HARD TO MISS!!!!!!!

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Well duh, but you're using that crap excuse(no one can do good characters in a movie only in a TV show) to dodge the real issue. Imagine a TF movie where the robot characters are so well written and portrayed that a non-TF fan could care about them and what happens to them as much as say....the characters from the original SW trilogy? We need a well-written robot movie about robots, not a crappy human movie with robots in it to make things assplode.

11. rodster6

Ebay:
    I have a couple of questions about the film which may or may not get me branded a 'hater'.

First, why did Sentinal go to earth after Megatron in the 1960s? Megatron had been on earth for a few hundred if not thousands of years. Did it explain in the comics why Sentinal decided to go after Megatron when he did? Was it because the war had gone tits up by that point for the Autobots so he decided finding Megatron for a truce was the best way forward? Also was Starscream in command of the Decepticons on Cybertron in the years Megs was missing?

Also, if Sentinal is the only person who can activate the space bridge, how come Patrick Dempsey was able to activate it?

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Yeah, thats what WE as FANS need. Not the AUDIENCE needs. Okay? We want Transformers because we follow the series, and we love it, and thats we care about. In order to make money however, the movie needs to be accesible to people who dont give a shit about the original series. Kay? That means they need HUMAN CHARACTERS to focus on, so that the audience can relate.

13. rodster6

Ebay:
    That doesn't however mean that the robots don't need more character depth and development so people will care more about them as characters.

14. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Only thing I can't understand is why Ironhide crumbled into a heap of rust and junk when he died unlike every single Transformer who died in the movies

15. rodster6

Ebay:
    Sentinals gun fires cosmic rust I think.

16. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Concept art identifies Sentinel's gun (the one he used to shoot Ironhide with) as a "Cosmic Rust gun". His blaster was designed to do that to a Transformer.

EDIT: Like so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  17. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I remember that right before the movie started.... oops nope. Lol I think the audience can just accept that Sentinel Prime had a nasty gun that did that to Ironhide, not really entirely necessary to explain. Damn that should have been included with the Leader class fig. :( 

18. rodster6

Ebay:
    So did it explain inthe novel or comics why Sentinal went to earth after Megatron in the 1960s? Megatron had been on earth for a few hundred if not thousands of years. Did it explain in the comics why Sentinal decided to go after Megatron when he did? Was it because the war had gone tits up by that point for the Autobots so he decided finding Megatron for a truce was the best way forward? Also was Starscream in command of the Decepticons on Cybertron in the years Megs was missing?

Also, if Sentinal is the only person who can activate the space bridge, how come Patrick Dempsey was able to activate it?

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Yeah because no one would give a shit about Woody or Buzz Lightyear if they weren't so popular from the 80s.....oh wait that's right they are new characters, written well, that became popular because they were so well done. I guess you feel that without Andy around Toy Story would have bombed because no one can relate to non-humans(just like Wall-E bombed.....oh wait that's right it did well too)? Stupid toys written very well can be just as compelling as any human actor(how many lines of dialogue did Wall-E get? How well was he characterized anyway? food for thought..). If the creators could only realize this we might get a movie fans and non-fans alike can agree is a good movie. I've said it before, but if they could make a movie where joe-shmo non-TF fan can come to care about the robot characters Hasbro would sell more toys than they know how to make.

20. rodster6

Ebay:
    I agree. The toys in Toy Story 3 are so much more three dimensional and fleshed out than any humans in these films and many other films. I can't think of a film from the last few years whos characters I have liked as much or cared as much about as those in Toy Story 3.