Help me Decide: AM-27 Ultra Magnus OR AM-28 Leo Prime Which Would You Buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Nov 30, 2012.

?

If you could only get one, which would you buy?

1. AM-27 Ultra Magnus

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. AM-28 Leo Prime

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. Neither

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    OK so here's the dilemma I'm in. I'm pretty tapped out between Xmas and my wifes birthday next month.

As a result, I'll only have money to buy one of the new Arms Micron Voyagers coming out at the end of next month.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get AM-27 Ultra Magnus or AM-28 Leo Prime.

I love the looks of both figures for different reasons.

AM-27 is a great representation of Ultra Magnus. Plus the hammer micron is a must have in my book.

AM-28 is equally fantastic, comes with an awesome micron, and is a beast former...(I have a soft spot for the beasties even though I was a little older when all of the beast stuff came out)

So I need help to decide. Which one would you get and why?

2. zebramatt

zebramatt Well-Known Member

I recently bit the bullet on the Hasbro Ultra Magnus over the Takara one, as I like his colouring slightly better. The hammer AM is damned cool though, I admit - maybe we'll be able to pick that up separately later?

For me, if I were getting either I'd get Leo, despite not having a different head sculpt, as he's a distinct character from Thundertron; rather than just a slight variant.

(And I probably will get Leo, as it happens!)

3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I say Leo Prime, for the most part.

I like the Ultra Magnus mold a LOT more, but you can just pick that one up domestically for much less. The difference between Hasbro and Takara's UM is nowhere near as extreme as the difference between Thundertron and Leo Prime.

If you're planning on only getting one and never picking up the other mold, then I say Magnus all the way.

4. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    Pretty much what Soundwinder said. This interpretation of Leo Prime is an interesting take on the character, and the Thundertron mold is awesome. I say go with Leo Prime, then pick the Hasbro Magnus up locally when you have some extra money.

Plus, someone on the boards could possibly hook you up with his hammer Micron if you really want it.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leo Prime.

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the posts so far everyone.

Going with Leo Prime because he's alot different than his Hasbro counterpart whereas the takara version of Ultra Magnus is much more similar to his Hasbro counterpart (which can be had for much cheaper) is a good idea and one I hadn't thought of.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    As somebody that loves beast mode transformers, Ultra Magnus is the better figure.

Looks like Leo Prime is a straight up repaint of Thundertron and I have issues with that figure. Poor head movement and a near brick like beast mode.

8. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

You've already made your decision, it seems, but I'm still going to cast my vote for Leo Prime. I love the Thundertron mold, despite (or in spite of) it's minor flaws, and if Leo Prime had a domestic release, I'd probably pick him up myself.

Magnus is actually hitting saturation around here, so you should be able to pick him up for cheap - the differences between him and the AM are pretty minor, and personally, his locking war hammer-into-massive cannon weapon looks really good with him, regardless of which mode you prefer.

9. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Thanks for the post.

Still undecided at this point.

10. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd go for Prime. He's significantly different than TT, moreso than the differences in the two Magnuses. Plus, UM's micron will likely come out seperately (in other colors), so you can still get everything by buyign a cheaper US Magnus + the micron.

I don't own either, but the TT/LP mold seems better than UM too.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I'd pick Magnus, because I already have Thundertron and am BLOWN AWAY by how amazing this figure is, I don't think I'd like the Prime colors over the blue/white in the Hasbro release. While I love the Hasbro release Magnus (although I do not have him yet), I also am vexed by that Minicon.

12. ChadTheBad

ChadTheBad Cassetticon

Ebay:
    Leo Prime because he's Thundertron with a better paint deco, a sweet homage and a superior weapon, which is another homage and also transforms. Ultra Magnus only has the transforming hammer.

13. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    I'm going to go with others in this thread and say leo prime. While I'm not going to get him personally I have to admit that paint scheme is rather nice. Plus Magnus you can just get the US version for much cheaper. Since the microns have proven rather popular odds are Magnus's micron will either see a single release or as a bundle of sorts.

14. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Ayo Fryman. That uh, that's highly illogical. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    this

15. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    This.