Help deciding which Prime Ultra Magnus to buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I want to buy a Voyager Prime Ultra Magnus, but I'm having some trouble deciding which one to go with. Generally, I like to go with the most cartoon acurate version, but I'm not sure whehter that's the Hasbro, Takara, Platinum, or Beast Hunters version. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

2. Orion72

Orion72 Well-Known Member

I like cartoon accuracy as well, I bought the Hasbro RID voyager Ultra Magnus and really like it a lot, but I plan on getting the reprolabel sticker set for it.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voyager Beast Hunters one looks the most accurate. But as far as just toys go, I prefer the original PRID.

4. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should post pics of each version... and a pic of what he looks like on screen.

5. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Robots in Disguise Ultra Magnus (Hasbro)
    [​IMG]

Robots in Disguise Ultra Magnus (TakaraTomy)
    [​IMG]

Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus
    [​IMG]

Beast Hunters Ultra Magnus
    [​IMG]

Screenshot of Ultra Magnus
    [​IMG]

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I'd go with either of the ones that arent remolds of an Optimus Prime.

7. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lets see...

Hasbro RiD over Takara
    Hasbro Beast Hunters over Platinum Beast Hunters

I'm sitting here painting my RiD version but, I will be getting the BH Version as well. So..

Prime vs Beast Hunters is the question..

8. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    What is the alt mode in the cartoon? Like TFP RID/AM or TFP BH Voyager, BH Weaponizer/Platinum?

Around two weeks ago, I was choosing between TFP RID and AM27. I chose the AM version because of the crystal eyes and the Arms Micron. But to be honest, I want to get all the three other versions I don't have yet.

9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Other than the PRID Ultra Magnus/AM Ultra Magnus, all other Magnus toys in the upcoming waves are Optimus remolds.

Though, it should be said that BH Voyager Ultra Magnus is the most accurate of the figures. The wings contraption is removable, and if you take that off and leave his shoulders stand upright, you have the most accurate Ultra Magnus available.

10. Tarrn

Tarrn Bikeformer Fanboy

bny888 - we haven't seen UM's alt-mode yet.

Snaptrap - it might be best to wait until we do see the alt-mode before you make a decision. BH UM is certainly the most screen accurate, but personally I'd rather scrap screen accuracy in favour of having toys with two different moulds, so I'd only go with that one if you're going to get the BH Optimus. In the screenshot, he looks to be the same height as Optimus compared to Ratchet, so the Weaponiser is likely to be too large to scale with the rest of the cast.

11. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I like the darker blue on the Hasbro release.

12. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    The one you prefer the look of :) 

13. BlackJackuk

BlackJackuk Well-Known Member

What he said! I have the RID version and it's pretty good. I have quite a few Magnus figures as he is my favorite TF character!

14. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    I actually like the PRID version, but will get the BH as well. The alt mold will ultimately help me decide which is more accurate, but he should have gotten his own mold. I like to keep my figures MIB, but actuallyopened PRID Magnus so the BH version will likely stay in package regardless.

15. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I'm picking up the BH version as that looks to be the best.

16. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I have (and really like) RiD UM; I gave the iGear City Commander set weapons to him and he looks great with them. Despite the janky shoulder joints, I'm fond of the sculpting of the mold and he remains my fanon TFP Wreckers leader
    (I kinda wish the writers made UM officially the leader of the Wreckers if only to connect Wheeljack and Bulkhead more easily with the character, and to give the Bots a more gung-ho style of leadership under UM's temporary command).

As for screen accurate UM, I'm leaning toward Platinum Ed. UM if only because of the Solus Forge accessory (that and his overall size in relation to FE Optimus). I'm iffy toward the BH UM mold because of the wings and undersized-looking hammer.

17. JCthegreat

JCthegreat Star Seeker

News Credits:
    I have the PRID Ultra Magnus and I think that he's a good toy, but posing him can be a trouble with his big hammer. Personally I think that you could get more poses out of the Beast Hunters one (which I'll be getting) Personally I like the Beast Hunters one better.

18. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agreed with the spoiler. I too was surprise that they didn't recognize each others. I was like darn it, so the writers just disregard the other continuity.

As for toy, yeah the Platinum along with the big and and colorful solus hammer does have the upper edge in term of toon accuracy. I'm assuming he'll have a white face in the end and not blue like what we saw earlier. I'll definitely be getting him along with the BH version. Between the two, I'll probably more happy with the BH version just because of the size and I like that Optimus mold too. Also, this is my wishlist part, I'm hoping the BH UM is his cybertronian mode and the PRID is his earth mode. That would be a win-win for both toys especially when I already purchased 2 PRID figures.

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Whoa! Where'd you get that screencap of Prime magnus in the show? Has the show already returned?

20. Wu Jen

Wu Jen Some old nobody

I thought that Hasbro said at a panel that TFP was the new 'Prime' aligned continuity?

I really like the BH Ultra Magnus Mold and will be picking him up. Him + Shockwave = win in this line.

The Platinum version isn't that bad but not a big fan of the weaponizer gimmick.