Help! Can I Be Scammed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by alltransformers, Mar 17, 2015.

1. alltransformers

alltransformers Well-Known Member

Hey, firstly, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread!

Anyway, I just purchased a few G1 Transformers from eBay (all from the same seller). Even though his only international shipping method listed is eBay's Global Shipping Programme, he PMed me saying he wouldn't mind skipping that route and go straight to USPS and do First Class International. (I'm based in Singapore)

However, after I've won all the auctions, he tells me that he can't send an invoice to me. He explains that eBay is automatically including the shipping prices from the GSP and that he can't exclude it from the invoice. So now he is asking me to send my Paypal email to him so that he can send an invoice thru Paypal instead.

Is that safe? If in an event something goes wrong, can I still get a refund from Paypal/eBay? And has anyone ever encountered problems in sending invoices to international customers?

Appreciate your help and thank you in advance!

2. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you have purchased through eBay you should be ok because of their buyer protection policy. So you're better off going through the proper channels through eBay to protect your purchase. If you do things outside of ebay's ecosystem, then SOL if something goes wrong.

Anyhow, this is a question you should ask and confirm with eBay support. I would recommend contacting them by phone or email and describe the situation completely to them.

3. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Never heard of that but you can always try calling eBay customer support and seeing what happens. They can advise you if there is any similar scam...

4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he sends you an invoice through Paypal then you'll be protected by Paypal but not ebay.

It could be a scam but it could easily not be. I'm not familiar with ebay's Global shipping program. Is this something new in the past few years?

Either way, even if it's not a scam, ebay says you're not supposed to do this. But then again, ebay says a lot of things.

5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't we take the same risk if we buy Transformers from anyone on this site?

6. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

If he goes around it, and ships directly, ebay's guarantee via the global shipping program won't apply.

And likewise, if he invoices you directly through paypal, ebay is basically out of the loop - he'd be cancelling your transactions there and conducting a separate one through paypal.

It could be the seller is trying to do this to get around ebay's fees - was it a big purchase? If so, going directly through paypal could save the seller a substantial amount.

It could also be that the seller is trying to scam you, and in that case, you would still have paypal's buyer guarantee to go on. You can file a claim with Paypal as long as the money isn't sent as a "gift", and make sure the seller ships using a trackable shipping method.

Either way, I find the seller's bargaining posture to be highly dubious.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Actually it's pretty hard to scam through paypal, since they'll protect you and you can open a dispute if he tries anything.

8. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    This is one of the reasons why non-Americans are now avoiding items listed as "Global Shipping Program", because the seller isn't allowed to combine shipping (a lot of buyers prefer to buy multiple items to save on the expensive international postage), and the items have to be posted to a home address, including other items that aren't on the GSP if you are paying for several items from different people to save on fees or qualify for an ebay/Paypal discount (and I've lost items thanks to the GSP not allowing them to be sent to my PO Box address).

If you ask your seller to "opt out" of the GSP, they should be able to send you another invoice going through USPS... but it is a bit fiddly, and puts sellers off even more from dealing with non-Americans, even though the GSP was set up to increase foreign sales by sellers who don't like posting to non-Americans. (most listings used to be just for Americans only and have less chance of selling, so now the extra sales to all those foreign buyers helps increase ebay revenue).

The GSP is okay with single item purchases if you don't have a PO Box address, but never use it for multiple purchases without contacting the seller first to see if they are willing to opt out of the program for you... and are willing to fill out a customs form at the post office to post it to a non-American address instead of an American address.

9. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't used the GSP, but I have had to change shipping prices, and it is not at all fun. You can set up a shipping discount after the auction ended, but you can't raise the shipping cost (and I do the set-your-own-shipping-price option). I could only imagine the hassle of trying (and failing) to change a pre-set shipping cost.
    So, with that background, this sounds legit to me, but to be on the safe side, I would follow the recommendations of the posters above.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with the points posted:

1. PayPal protection

If you pay via PayPal, you are protected.

2. Global Shipping Program (GSP)

I have a problem with GSP because the seller cannot directly provide the buyer with the 'normal' customs tracking number. It is a sequence of numbers that end with the seller's country code. For example, with one buys from a US buyer the number provided will be FOG987654321US. If its HK, the number will be FOG987654321HK....hope you get the idea.

I've been buying from US sellers for over a decade but the moment they use the GSP, I avoid them...its a nightmare (I never received my items) and I want to be fair to the seller too.

11. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah you are protected with paypal but my first rule of thumb in any transaction I do, if you don't feel comfortable with it cancel it.

12. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried selling with the "ebay global shipping program" and that program sucks. They won't let you combing shipping and it costs WAY MORE than normal USPS shipping. I believe the seller

To the OP: you're still protected through paypal, but the times are different. With eBay you get 30 days from the estimated arrival date to file a case. With paypal you get 45 days from the day you paid. So go ahead and pay him directly through paypal, but keep an eye on the calendar and file a case at day 44, even if its still on its way to you. You can keep the case open for a month if need be, while you wait for it to arrive.

13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Whenever I list, I deselect that GSP option. No thanks.

To me it sounds legit. Since he's going through PayPal, I'd say go for it.

14. fake

fake Return to Innocence

The GSP is another sucky program Ebay invented to make more money on top of the double dipping in fees they do with Ebay and paypal. On paper it sounds awesome, seller only pays to ship to a local US address and buyer pays standard rates to ship to his country with the shipping responsibility going to Ebay. Well, Ebay's rates are obscenely high. And their tracking system is horrible too, as good as sending an unsecured package abroad.

If the seller is offering you a chance to get it for cheap through paypal I will do that, you are protected by buyer's protection anyway. That is on the actual sale and not on the method of shipping. Seller could fly to your house for all they care, but you are protected!!

15. alltransformers

alltransformers Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the much needed advice. The seller has tried contacting eBay and see if they can help out. If he can't send an invoice thru eBay, then I'll have to go thru Paypal.

How bad is eBay's Global Shipping Program? All I know is that their shipping prices are ridiculous.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How bad is it? IMO its extremely bad. As mentioned earlier, I've been buying on EBay for a decade (or more) and not a single item I bought using GSP reached me.

The problem I mentioned is the lack of the normal/usual shipping customs tracking number.

Instead, the GSP gives you a number that is based on their internal reference - what good is that?

Of course, there are folks who say its reliable but not for me and my pals.

17. HairyDawg

HairyDawg UGA - Go Dawgs!

I had no idea the GSP was such a pain from the buyer perspective. I have only sold using it - some Angry Birds Transformer telepods figures. Since they were small and lightweight I could use the lowest cost USPS Priority service to ship to their drop location (in Kentucky if I recall) and they did the rest of the work. Out of the 8 or 9 items I sold, I think all but 1 were from international buyers using the GSP.

So from a seller perspective it worked out well, but my part ended once the package arrived in KY.

18. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Paypal has increased there claim dispute window from 45 days to 180 days. This was changed this past November.

19. Yobuster

Yobuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had previous issues before where ebay "forced" you into a certain shipping option or price once you entered specific info. So from then on i always just quoted my own shipping costs based on some previous estimates i had made. Much simpler and well sometimes it's a bit over and sometimes a bit lower.

But this guy does sound legit, however like all previous advice do what you feel comfortable and at least paying via PayPal is totally trackable.

20. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    This was the problem I had as well - a package from America to Australia went to the American west coast, then to the east coast, then back to the west coast, before being handed off to an unknown 3rd party freight forwarder in California who flew it to Australia and passed it onto Australia Post, who just dumped it at my door step.
    That's what annoyed me most... I was forced to use a home address that is not secure because I'm on a main road, and then they end up giving it to the local postal service anyway who could have delivered it to my PO Box address.

I agree with the others that the seller is likely to be reliable, but are probably just stuck with the restrictions of the GSP.
    If they have many years on ebay and at least 3 figure feedback at 100%, it should be okay... but do it through Paypal, as they should still cover you as a Paypal transaction.

My advice to everyone else wanting to buy multiple items from an American seller who is on the GSP, just ask them first if they are willing to opt-out for you, because some might be willing to if they don't know how bad the GSP is to non-American buyers.