Customs: Help. Best way to repair this damage?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks, May 15, 2019.

1. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

Hi. I just bought a Cybertron Starscream TRU Exclusive from ebay and received it today. Immediately I noticed paint and slight plastick damage to the end of the cockpit area/crotch area on the left side.
    I like the figure and it is not really easy to find (with key and weapon/missle).
    Is there any suggestions as to how I would best fix this? I really have not done much in the line or repair or painting, and I don't have an airbrush.

Any help is much appreciated!

Here are a few pics...
    20190515_154436.jpg
    20190515_154413.jpg
    20190515_154409.jpg

2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All I'm seeing in the photos is the marred paint. Is there more extensive damage that I'm just not noticing? If it's just the paint, there's no easy way to repair that. Trying to paint just the damaged area is going to create a really obvious line where your paint ends and the stock paint begins. Only way to do it right is to fully stripe the paint, prime it, and then repaint it, which is honestly way more work than it's worth for such a minor defect and, if you don't have painting experience, you're more likely to make it worse than make it better.

3. Grimwolf100

Grimwolf100 Well-Known Member

not really seeing anything wrong

4. PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks

PurpleAndBlackSmokeStacks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

While the pictures are poor at best given I used my cell phone(which has a hard time focusing up close), if you can't see the paint damage you must either need corrective lenses(or a new prescription) or have such low standards that life must be amazing for you.

5. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aaaaaaand there goes any chance that anybody is going to try to help you. Good luck with your figure.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeeeaaaahhhh... Asking for help then insulting people is a surefire way to NOT get that help.:rolleyes: 

Anyway, the "damage" appears to be a denting of the plastic around the pin for the nosecone, and the paint seems to be touched up on the top of the silver area. I've seen factory paint apps like that, so it's just the same paint but applied by hand rather than in the manufacturing process.
    If you have the ability, the best solution would be:
    -Disassemble the cockpit
    -Strip the paint off with alcohol
    -Gap-fill the dents with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ70400-Plastic-Putty-17ml/dp/B000PHCNLC and sand smooth
    -Repaint the area silver.