Headmasters DVD

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mastodon, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sphererer

sphererer Mambo-Jambo-Bot

HAHAHA! Ah the goodness of the Star World dubs...grew up watching this on the television here in Singapore back in the 90s and always thought this was the best - up till I found the Internet...

Sticking to the topic - how's the A/V quality on the DVDs?

2. XanatosVanBadas

XanatosVanBadas Active Member

I'm actually wondering if I should still buy this now. I mean, I'm not a weeboo or anything, but completion is important to me in getting any series. I'm pretty damned pissed they excluded the prologue from the first episode (if it is only the first episode that was altered?).

3. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It seems on par with the other Shout G1 releases.

4. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    LoL. Episode 5 was not quite what I was expecting, but I enjoyed the nostalgia. I remember the toyline for those things and now I know where they came from (?).

Pros and cons after 5 episodes: The animated is much improved from season 3. The battle music is catchy. A wide variety of characters, many of them well known, and few obscure like the Monsterbots! (Any chance for the targetmaster bots?) The headmasters can swap heads.

Daniel and Wheelie are as annoying as they have ever been. It is difficult to differeniate voices from one another with the execption of a few (Galvatron, Wheelie.) With so many locations (Earth, cybertron, chaar, athenia) it is difficult to remember who is on which planet.

5. optimal iii

optimal iii New Member

Looking at this thread, it seems most people posting haven't seen Headmasters before. For anyone who has, do the subtitles seem like good translations?

As to the release confusion, Shout is releasing a big box-set with the first 3 Jap. shows (Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory) that will only be available through their site. It was delayed, and won't be available till sometime in August I think.

Can't pass final judgement till I've watched this with good subs, but I've seen all 35 eps. This series basically feels like a 4th season of G1 that we never got. It mostly focuses on new characters, which is cool. But something of a negative is that the old characters still around really get the Japanese treatment. To put it another way, Takara really puts the "Super Robot" into super robot life-form Transformers; this is very different from the thinking, feeling machines we were introduced to here in the west.

And yeah, Daniel & Wheelie are really BAD in this show. Overall though, totally worth watching especially for $20 or so. Lots of good songs, the best by Hironobu Kageyama (Dragon Ball Z). Somebody mentioned the song "Stand! Anger of a Headmaster". Name's pretty corny, but the song rocks. I won't spoil anything, but it debuts for an EPIC fight, and the sequence for Metroplex's transform is sick.

6. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

What it would be logic, is watching Episode 1 all the way to the last Episode of headmasters including watching the movie right after season 2 ends, now that would be something

7. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    Looks like they retained the Takara Collection's lack of commercial bumpers and recaps. Bummer.

Question for those who have the set: does it use the English names or Japanese names in the subs? For example, is Optimus called Convoy, or are the Decepticons called Destrons? I have the Takara Collection but am interested in getting this set so that I don't have to use a region-free player anymore.

Anyone with BOTH sets able to comment on which they prefer?

8. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

The use the english names Optimus Prime they use Optimus Pirme and Decepticons they use Decepticons in the sub, dont forget Shout re-arranged the subs. As for the second i wouldnt be able to answer you wich set is better. But i'm pretty sure its Shout's version since they fixed the dubs and changed the names so we would be able to read them better.

9. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Unfortenetly the Best Buy close to me was out, but tomarow im heading to the 2nd nearset one, which still has some.

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    About the subs, everyone has the English names. Which is funny when you clearly hear "Meister" and "Broadcast" and read "Jazz" and "Blaster". But, oh well. Obviously most people watching know them by the English names.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You can also clearly hear many other Japanese words and yet read them in English.

12. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Hey Chris, just wondering if they used your commentary from the Metronome release a few years back. I think they were a great insight to the series that really improved my experience of the set.

Just seems that we have a whole bunch of newbies to headmasters, and I can see the old urban myths that surround Japanese G1 rearing it's ugly head again.

13. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    I really want this set, but I think I'll wait for the Japanese Collection of HM, MF & Victory boxset is released.
    I already have the PAL english dubbed set, but the improved film quality will hopefully make it worthwhile (i think it will).

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm afraid not! I'd have jumped at the chance to record some new commentaries for Headmasters - I know I could have done a better job a second time around.

15. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

WOW I just finished watching Episode 1 all the way to Episode 98 with The Movie in between Season 2 and 3 it took me 1 Month and 3 days, now i am going to get Headmasters tomorrow to continue the series :)  Has anybody done it watching espidoe 1 to episode 98 with the movie in between season 2 and 3?

16. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm about half way through Headmasters right now, after rewatching the previous G1 stuff in order, including the movie and even attempting to wedge Scramble City in there. I think I started in November.

I'd probably be moving through it more quickly if I wasn't also reading all of the UK Marvel comics too.

17. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

There's no bonus material on the DVDs. Which is sad, since the series really calls for some. Cut material. Eyecatches and commercial bumps. Commercials. Commentary. Staff interviews.

18. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I like how in episode 1 you see Sideswipe, Jazz, Prowl and Hound lol didnt Prowl die? or is it a Japanese error

19. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    The English translation of "Broadcast" is not "Blaster". "Broadcast" IS an English word. I'm not talking about hearing Japanese words in English. And either way, it doesn't bother me, so I think you misunderstood my post, and this is not the first time I have seen Headmasters.

20. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    The animated movie didn't make its way to Japan until several years after the fact, so the production staff wasn't aware a bunch of characters had been killed.

It didn't really matter though, since most of the season 1 and 2 characters appearing in Headmasters were just quick incidentals, save for Jazz -- though he too just winds up disappearing before too long.