Minor/Repaint: Head-to-toe Siege Megatron repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Iacon Studios, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Iacon Studios

Iacon Studios Well-Known Member

Hi! Thanks for stopping by!

Here we have a head-to-toe repaint of Siege Megatron. When I saw the figure, I loved it, but the customizer in me instantly wanted to give it the work. I was convinced that the proper paint job and posing would eliminate the oft-complained about “stumpy” features. I stand by my opinion with the final results.

I used a mix of Duplicolor silver frost for the base coat, then went to work detailing with a mix of Testor’s Model Acryl and Tamiya. (I prefer Tamiya’s clear paints when possible.) The duplicolor dries like freakin’ ARMOR, and because it’s an acrylic-lacquer it bonds with the detailing paints extremely well

I also used sprue cutters to remove the tabs sticking out of his hips. I was trying to make him seem more narrow in that general area. The tabs only lock in the back tank treads in tank mode. They aren't needed at all.

At the end of the day I achieved exactly what I was hoping for, and thusly love the figure 100x over.

Please let me know your thoughts and criticisms, and thanks for your time!

M – Iacon Studios

Siege Megatron 02.jpg Siege Megatron 03.jpg Siege Megatron 04.jpg Siege Megatron 05.jpg Siege Megatron 06.jpg Siege Megatron 08.jpg Siege MEgatron 09.jpg Siege Megatron 10.jpg Siege Megatron 11.jpg Siege Megatron 12.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 37
  2. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    Looks amazing. Well done.
    Face really pops.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Skert

Skert Well-Known Member

Just: whoa!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

Amazing paint job...off-topic but...that Shockwave is still SMALL!

• Like Like x 2
  5. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    Makes this toy really shine!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iacon Studios

Thanks!

And yes...even though I try to make excuses because the mold is so amazing, Shockwave is pretty tiny. It isn't HORRIBLE once he is on the shelf and on display...but still. If he were even just a LITTLE bigger he would be SO perfect.

7. Optimugatron

Optimugatron Well-Known Member

That is a perfect paint job in my opinion! I absolutely love it! How does the paint hold up against movement and transformation? Especially around the hinges and joints. I once tried a major repaint on my TR Galvatron, but first time I tried posing and then Transforming tore up the paint around the joints and such.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iacon Studios

Thanks so much!

As far as paint rub/chipping there is absolutely none at all. I cleaned him well with 91% alcohol and lightly sanded any joints I thouht may be an issue, but the real star is duplicolor paint. It dries like armor. It is VERY difficult to scratch once its cured for 24 hours. Its pretty amazing stuff really. Its an acrylic-lacquer, so it dries SUPER fast and any acrylics will bond right to it.

I've transformed him 3 times and no chipping whatsoever. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Optimugatron

Wow! Thanks for the tip! It seems my biggest mistake is not coating the finish in lacquer then. I am still new to customizing.

10. Iacon Studios

Actually I typically don't clear coat. The Duplicolor spray is a blend of acrylic and lacquer so it just sprays right on, dries fast and hardens rock solid.

One thing people seem to overlook with chipping is that the more layers you have, the thicker the overall paint is, and chipping will thusly be worse. I try to keep it as simple as possible and use the least layers I can.

Duplicolor keeps me from using primer, and detailing with Testor's model master acryl and Tamiya keeps me from having to clear coat usually.

Its all in the prep and correct products imo. Feel free to ask any questions! I've been painting seriously since 2003 so I've put in the time and experimenting. Its always SUPER important to me that a figure transforms and poses without scratching like its store bought.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Optimugatron

Same here. I don't just display mine, I'm more of a fiddle and pose type. I tried using spray sealers a couple times but ended up with a huge mess.

There are plenty of tips on how to paint the figures, but the details on sealing are sparse. That is where I feel I could use the most help if you are willing. I have painted quite a few of Shapeways weapons, and I ended up sealing them with a coat or two of Future Floor Polish. I have even tried Mod Podge for sealing. They are fine for protecting the weapons, but when I paint the figures, everything tends to go to hell. I've done detailing on a few of my TR figures, and about 20 of the Titan Masters, but without sealing, the paint just doesn't survive well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Did you take all the pins out, or paint it intact? I'm surprise at how few screws this thing has.

13. Iacon Studios

I took no pins out. I unscrewed what I could and used masking tape on the rest.

Luckily for this project there's a LOT of one color, silver.

• Like Like x 5
  14. HeroJr

HeroJr Maximal

Terrific job! I think for many of Megatron's molds he clearly looks better in silver, as opposed to grey plastic. You definitely made this mold look much, much better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

beautiful paint job

• Like Like x 1
  16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    That's what I would have expected from a Takara release, if they still were different. At least that's what I would want it to look like so that I would buy it. That is to say: This looks great :) 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Optimugatron

@Iacon Studios So what is your routine for spraying the Duplicolor on? How do you hold them or stand them? How close do you spray? Do you use multiple coats?

I really appreciate any advice you may have.

18. Iacon Studios

I hold the parts around 12 inches away from the spray. I use either a pair of pliers to hold the piece, or oftentimes I use skewers. Yes, that's right. The bamboo/wooden skewers you can find at most grocery stores for grilling food. You can put them into screw holes or wedge them into corners, hold the part by that, and then you even have a handle when you put the part somewhere to dry. When I spray I use a left-to-right and back motion, very evenly, and go past the edge of the part. I make anywhere from 2-3 light passes, but the paint builds up a little during those passes and smooths right out. That usually does the trick, but sometimes I will repeat that process. You don't want to move too fast, but not too slow either.

Practice is the key. Just grab a can, get you some broken or spare parts you have lying around and paint a few until you get it where you like it. It dries to where you can handle it in less than an hour, but I usually let it dry over night before painting over it or moving the parts/joints. Good luck! You'll get it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, this mold absolutely pops in silver and black. Even more so when it's done with such precision and quality.
    Excellent job!

• Like Like x 2
  20. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yo, it's beautiful! It has a high-quality "Henkei" feel to it! (Remember Henkei?! lol)

• Like Like x 2