He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2021)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Reviews2D, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it looks like this He-Man is going to be versatile. And Adam is going to be in Learner mode for a while it seems.

I'm not the biggest fan of the theme tune, though (yet, anyway) . It doesn't really remind me of He-Man, etc. If it wasn't for the MOTU stuff, I'd have just changed the channel.

Still, theme tune aside, the rest of it's looking interesting.

2. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Lightning strike? Surely they can name attacks better than that! Looking good though. Theme song is gonna get annoying real fast; good thing you can skip it lmao.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    This is what the franchise needed, to move forward and take some risks. This is coming from someone who is a fan of the original mini-comics universe that has never gotten a proper revisit too.

I'm not sure I'll love the series, but I'll watch it and as long as it proves popular with the kids, it'll be a good move for the brand, which the franchise also needs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the idea of Orko re-imagined as a robot isn't unique to this cartoon.

d32unr0-a9ab5306-2f72-4692-b153-52222a2c3ca8.jpg

Prince Adam by feuerkorn on DeviantArt

Over a decade ago, an artist redesigned Orko as a robotic companion to Adam.

• Like Like x 3
  5. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus 9 Great Demon Generals progress: 3/9

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This Thursday people!

• Like Like x 2
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Let's see how this starts off.

7. Convotron

I have optimism from the footage released so far. The script seems to be more witty than what I initially thought from the first impression I had of seeing the character designs.

It would be great if the show has enough smart writing to make it enjoyable for people older than the target audience while retaining wholesomeness and fun for the kids to enjoy and embrace.

I hope for the show to be able to hold up for years to come as a positive part of childhood of the kids who watch it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Interesting details have apparently come out.
    Any of you who wanted to see the mini-comics adapted, well you're in luck because there's elements of them here. Adam, Krass, and Cringer are apparently from a barbarian tribe, though Adam is the long lost Prince of Eternos (hence Keldor being his uncle).

There are two different sources of power - Grayskull and Havoc. The Heroic Warriors get their power and transformations from Castle Grayskull, while Keldor's Dark Masters get their power from Havoc, centered around Snake Mountain. After becoming Skeletor, he seeks the destruction of Grayskull so that his Power of Havoc can reign supreme.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reviews2D

Reviews2D Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is the day

10. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, frankly this seems to be a reboot in the vein of 2011 Thundercats or Transformers Animated - it's doing the same thing but differently. I don't think even the 2002 show explored how He-Man is still just a kid underneath the power, I like how here Adam clearly has a lot to learn.
    So that green skinned tattooed guy we saw in the trailer was pre-cyborg Trapjaw? Makes sense, wonder if they will namedrop Kronis.

I just wanted to ask, because no place I checked could list when this is coming. So soon? Guess we will have this out before Revelation, and frankly I feel after this I won't really be interested in how that show ends.

Interesting ideas. Guess Skeletor already has the power here - which explains why he is so buff now, almost the same size as He-Man.
    We saw King Randor in the trailer though, and the city Adam lives in doesn't seem like some barbarian city... or you just meant he is descended from those tribes?

Love the design for Evil-Lyn! And that duplication spell is clever. Reminds me of the 2002 episode where Tri-Klops created those skeleton warriors that duplicate when destroyed.
    Interesting that He-Man can do the SHAZAM!!! thing like Captain Marvel, calling down the lightning when transforming back. Though, doesn't that mean the villains now know he is Adam? Or maybe Skeletor already knows, being his uncle.
    New theme song is... catchy, not really my jam but I still kinda like it.

I dunno if the colors have any relevance there. That is just a visual effect to show when Teela is magically contacted by the Eldress.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I'm going to watch the first episode, trying to be as open minded as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL, not a reference I expected. Modulok is a sport now? :D 
    Modulok (1).png Modulok (2).png Modulok (3).png

At first I thought Cringer is cat-sized so his transformation to Battle Cat is all the more impressive? But no this is Kitty, his niece. He's adorable
    2021 Cringer.jpg

I need to check who voices Cringer, he does a great Sean Connery impression. - Ah, it is David Kaye!
    Seems Beast Man - Rquazz as he is called -
    has history with Cringer, he used to keep him for arena battles, and once took his claws as trophies.
    Also those weird robot things are Beastopoids, so it seems Beast Man has robot minions this time.

Interesting how every hero and villain have such a relationship, which will make things more interesting later on. Teela and Evelyn are fellow witches, and Duncan starts out
    as an apprentice to Kronis.

2021 Snake Mountain.jpg
    Snake Mountain looks beautiful. I hope they make a playset for this.

• Like Like x 4
  13. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skeletor sure is a grammar nazi. :D 
    Skeletor the Grammar Nazi01.png Skeletor the Grammar Nazi02.png

Also, like in Indiana Jones,
    Keldor chose... unwisely.
    Keldor's choice.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Convotron

So far, so good.

I like that season 1 is taking advantage of the time it has to flesh out characters. I hope that once the story and setting is established that the show doesn’t adopt a "villain of the week" episodic formula.

• Like Like x 2
  15. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think villain of the week type of a show is what Netflix does these days. I feel it will be more of an ongoing storyline for each season.
    I like the idea that Keldor basically embraced evil and his curse, and now shares it with his minions. Also Evil-Lyn, while still sarcastic and power hungry, seems to be more of a team player, as even Keldor remarked he is surprised she and Kronis did not kill each other in 10 years.
    I am liking Krass/Ram Ma'am a lot, and the helmet's meaning to her, and her backstory is quite touching.
    As for Teela...
    2021 Sorceresses.jpg
    Yeah, I am betting she is a descendant of the Eldress/original Sorceress.
    I never noticed before but it is an interesting difference between how Sorceress and Evil-Lyn cast spells, even in the 2002 version, where Sorceress did not need incantations or magic words. Evil-Lyn even remarks this here.

Also, Snake Men teased - Snake Mountain indeed was their castle in this universe too. (Explains all the giant snake skeletons)
    2021 Snakemen.png

Randor also namedrops Merfolk and Avion, so I think we can expect to see Stratos and Mer-Man in the future.

One more thing, I was wondering why Tuvar and Baddrah were credited in the first episode when they did not appear. Then it dawned on me... the two royal guards talking about the modulok tournament...

2021-Tuwar Baddrah.jpg

... check their skin colors. Purple and blue... :) 

LOL Skeletor's new form must have come with some... extra upgrades. :p 
    2021-Skeletor bath.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. Convotron

Okay, after watching the first 4 episodes...
    I love the show.

There are only a few minor things that come to mind so far and everything else is great in my eyes.

First the issues for me. I don't know why the creators bothered with Ram Ma'am and Cringer. What I mean is that Krass and Cringer are so different, in a good way, that they don't need to be so on the nose as fan pandering callbacks.

Krass is great as her own character and the reference to Ram Man in her Master form name is unnecessary.

The same goes for Cringer. He doesn’t really cringe or get fearful. I love the implication of the character having confidence issues due to the feeling of impotence from being declawed. It's a more compelling character aspect to me than the scaredy cat Cringer from Filmation.

So the names aren't a major issue but Krass could have been something like "Krash" in her Master form and Cringer could have been named anything else.

I am not a fan of Keldor's voice change once he becomes Skeletor. I know people hold Alan Oppenheimer in reverence for his Skeletor portrayal, similar to how people revere Frank Welker's Megatron, but this was a chance to explore a different direction. Similar to David Kaye's Beast Wars Megatron voice direction as opposed to the G1 incarnation.

It's not that Ben Diskin is bad as Skeletor but it feels he could sound better without trying to do a take on Oppenheimer's Skeletor. Heck, I love his Keldor voice. I'd prefer that to carry through his Skeletor form, perhaps with a deeper tinge for more menace.

While I like Keldor/Skeletor, the character motivation is still a bit broad in strokes. I'd like to see a more dialed in look at the character in future episodes.

Now onto the things I love.

First of all, I love how Kronis and Evil-Lyn are given more script and screen time to develop as characters. The reveal of Kronis being a former royal weapons master, a "man-at-arms to all of Eternos", was awesome. I also loved the glimpse into Evil-Lyn as a character through her frustration that Teela gets a shortcut to magical power while she had to devote her life to mastering magic.

Krass, Cringer, and Adam have a wonderful family dynamic. I like the Tiger Tribe backstory as well as Teela and Duncan being street kids/orphans who fell in with the wrong crowd.

The voice acting all around is great and the musical score isn't obtrusive. The aesthetics can be hit or miss. I happen to love the protagonists' designs in their Master forms but obviously people who prefer more grown up art stylings may not like the look of the characters.

I really enjoyed the writing and I think the writers have struck a great balance between appealing to a younger audience while also making the show palatable to older viewers.

Things like Adam's dialogue when distracting Keldor to buy Teela time to pick her lock was fun and something that I hope to see more of. I also loved the resounding "NO!!!" at the suggestion of splitting the group. It's a fun nod to the trope of splitting up groups of protagonists, which never goes well.

I like how Adam is a reluctant bearer of the Power of Grayskull and thinks about the repercussions of actions while still being a kid and not have all the answers.

Teela is an interesting character and didn't come off antagonistic and abrasive as I feared she would. She has a nice banter with Adam. I like how she is the Sorceress of the group.

Krass is the Teela of the show in that she serves the role of being a warrior woman and guardian to Adam. I like her portrayal and I think there could be an interesting dynamic between her, Adam, and Teela.

Duncan is the comedic relief, though every character has humorous moments. He also seems to have a heart of gold. I anticipate that he'll have a bit of a dark chapter in his past to contrast with his carefree exterior.

Cringer is interesting. He serves as a more mature character, filling Filmation Duncan's role as a bit of a fatherly figure. I like the backstory element of him being declawed, providing physical and emotional scars.

There's much more I could say but I'll watch the rest of the season first. Things could turn south for all I know.

I do know that this show is what MotU needs to grow and build a future. Revelation is at best a passion project to cater to existing fans but He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is what has good potential to help the brand live for another 40 years.

We need new generations of MotU fans and while kids could certainly enjoy Filmation cartoon, 200x, PoP, Netflix She-Ra, and the various comics, this show is made for today's youth and hopefully in 20+ years, adults can look back fondly upon this MotU cartoon.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is off to a good start.

• Like Like x 6
  17. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I love it so far as well. It is sure taking the slow route to introducing everything, but that is a staple of CGI shows (new models are expensive) and this means more character development for our main characters.
    I guess I was right about my predictions about the origins of Ork-0 from the trailer...
    I like how Duncan is such a nice guy, he feels bad about using that RK-unit drone from the last episode as a human, well, robot shield against the skeleton beasts, and is now trying to fix him... But uses material he finds in Grayskull which of course leads to mishaps. :D 
    2021-Ork-0-2.jpg
    2021-Ork-0-1.jpg
    Also, I guess the whole "Slime Pit" toyset is a staple of MOTU, the 2002 show revived it too and now these skeleton beasts filled with Havok energy are their new versions?

• Like Like x 4
  18. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't seen the show yet, but how would you guys compare this to Revelations?

19. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, was this just one half of a season and more to come later? Because this was quite the cliffhanger ending. Loved it. Can't wait for more.
    2021 New Adventures.png
    They even threw in a nice nod at New Adventures of He-Man. :) 

It's soooo much better. It might be more of a reimagination than Revelation was, but it feels far closer to the heart and soul of Masters of the Universe. The characters might have flaws but they are not unlikeable, like Teela was in that show. And I'd say this show has just as many references to the old lore than that one did. Clearly whoever made this were fans.

Wait for it, the explanation for his name is a really good one.
    R'qazz named him like this because he refused to fight his enslaved fellow tigers in the arena. He kept the name as a reminder to never be afraid NOT to fight when it was not the right choice.

Apparently, it's short for Krass'antine, or something - I need to recheck.
    I dunno however - people would have been more pissed if they added Battle Cat and NOT have his depowered form be called Cringer. That's like changing the name Orion Pax. Not even Animated changed that, even though Optimus had a very different origin story.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Reviews2D

Reviews2D Well-Known Member

Why didn't Mattel release the toys before the show came out.