HBO True Detective

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by hellrasinbrasin, Jan 13, 2014.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

True Detective: Official Trailer (HBO) - YouTube

Cast

Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle
    Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart
    Michelle Monaghan as Maggie Hart
    Kevin Dunn as Ken Quesada
    Tory Kittles as Thomas Papania
    Michael Potts as Maynard Gilbough
    Alexandra Daddario as Lisa Tragnetti
    Elizabeth Reaser as Laurie Perkins

...First episode Thoughts if the remaining episodes are like the premiere then HBO looks to have another solid series on its hands.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Weird fucking show, but the cast was fantastic and I love the story.

3. hellrasinbrasin

4. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I just watched the first episode and I am quite pleased that the premiere exceeded my expectations for this new HBO series.

I think it will be a hit. The performances are strong, the premise is not unique but the structuring of the narrative is inspired and drew me in.

As I understand it, True Detective is planned to be an anthology series so if there are subsequent seasons given the green light, they will encompass stories that center around different casts of characters.

I eagerly await the second episode!

5. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I missed it when I had an HBO free preview because I was working on a lot of school work. However, the cast looks great. Woody Harrelson always delivers and Matthew McConaughey has been on the top of his game lately. Plus, Alexandra Daddario is in it, and she is probably one of the most gorgeous women I have ever laid eyes on even if her acting isn't the greatest. I will catch this eventually.

6. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I'll have to catch up on this one...hopefully it's On Demand for a while.

7. hellrasinbrasin

* True Detective Renewed a 2nd season. :bowdown: 

8. Rick_Coronel

Rick_Coronel Owner of many customs

Ebay:
    Loving the show so far. Too bad the 2nd season will involve a different cast and stories.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    17th minute of episode 2...WOW!

10. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I'm thinking that the end of the Season will be a definitive wrap on the storyline.

Hopefully the second season can bring in an equally talented cast.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been caught up in football for the past two episodes and will miss this weekend's episode as well.

All that means is a marathon is coming next week.

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was hoping there was a thread on this. I've been watching this on my HBOGo account and I've been addicted to it since episode 2. (I had missed the pilot and didn't even realize it.) I quickly got into it and have seen every episode from the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I like Harrelson's performance, he's quite menacing in a few scenes, but Macaughney absolutely steals the show. Amazing makeup work and I hope they dominate the Emmys.

Breaking Bad is probably my favorite TV series of all time, but if True Detective keeps impressing me as it has, it could easily take the #1 spot. I'm not too keen on the current twist (won't spoil it for those who don't know) and I hope the ending works out better than I'm expecting, but if the season remains as solid as the first half was, I'll be buying this on video when it comes out.

This show, so far, is a must see at the very least. It's definitely leaning toward keeper status. It'll make you damned uncomfortable, it'll keep you guessing (even after you have been given clues and ideas), but it's always mesmerizing.

I'm used to seeing Harrelson and Macaughney in comedic vehicles and goofy shit, but this shows me how wrong of an assumption I had made for those two. Excellent actors who just force you to stare at them for 60 minutes a week. And you're oh so happy to oblige.

If season 2 (new cast, sadly) holds up as well as this season, I have a reason to keep HBO. Cuz...damn.

Oh, and the theme song? Hooked. Just sweet, sweet icing on top of a glorious cake.

13. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

Didn't know there was a thread here. I'm hooked as well.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Watched the first 5 episodes, one a day for the past 5 days. Someone whose opinions I respect happened to mention the show.

I was enjoying it. The two lead performances are as compelling as it gets, and I liked the pacing and how morbid the tone was. Some brilliant musical choices, along with the scenery, the settings, all worth it.

But it's not as good as it thinks it is, well that's what I thought. Yeah, so Cohle's the meanest badass ever, so what. Then you have some of the standard genre clichés, like how investigations always involve at least one visit to a strip club. And a few scenes which seemed way over the top. All that violence and titillation with some bs philosophizing thrown in to give it, I dunno a veneer of respectability maybe. I was still enjoying it.

Holy shit did it go up a notch with episode 5. Damned impressed with this one. I'm not even talking about the twist.

It's the sort of show where I've felt the need to rewatch almost every episode in whole or part. It's easy to miss some of the dialogue here and there, but besides that a lot of stuff only really makes sense second time around, so it tends to be well worth a second viewing.

15. hellrasinbrasin

"Time is a flat circle"

16. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Glad to see someone else watching this show AND talking about it! :)  I'm honestly blown away that this thread hasn't been on the first page since the show started. Guess shows like this can't compete with cartoons, sci-fi & comic movies on a forum like this. Understandable, but still disappointing.

Anyway... only 2 episodes left!

17. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    I try to balance out my bad diet of fantasy, sci-fi and animation with some wholesome sex and violence.

I think the title might be a bit off-putting for some. True Detective. Sounds like nothing special, like one of those dime a dozen dramas. It doesn't sound particularly unique or sophisticated.

It's one of those shows that will probably gather an audience through individual recommendations. By the time it's all over it's going to be huge.

18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I was able to catch the first two episodes, but I don't have HBO unfortunately. I wish I did just so I could react to the Red Wedding on Game of Thrones as if I didn't know it was coming by catching the first viewing and not waiting a few months to see it with a free preview.

19. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best show on TV right now.

20. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Watched episode 6, so I'm all uptodate now.

I thought it was more of an average episode, but it certainly had its moments. Some dynamite writing here, the line Cohle says to the woman after he'd finished interrogating her was brutal. Marty's wife had some great scenes here too. I loved how she got the better of him in an argument. Somehow he remains a likeable bastard.

After how much I loved the previous episode, I didn't feel this was quite the same calibre. Although episode 5 really blew me away, so it's entirely understandable that not every episode will have that impact.