Hawaii Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by Haze Gray, Jan 22, 2004.

1. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah the price there suck big time. I never shop there unless it's just an outstanding deal for reward members. That's why it sucks we are gonna have to get MP Optimus there. Who is in the market for that guy anyway? I'll PM anyone who is if I ever see it. Hell, I'll buy 2 if they have em just to make sure one of us gets it over a scalper ;)  lol, I never saw one Grimlock or Rodimus, how do I ever expect to see 2 Optimus Primes. The best thing I saw at TRU was the re-issue Insecticons and Perceptor

2. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

darn. I missed out on the re-issue Insecticons. Now I got to pay evil-bay prices for them. Its so freaky that scalpers monitor these boards. Still trying to wait for the FOC figures to pop out. Got a friend who is monitoring for me but he adheres to policy too much so he can't backstock it for me. Oh well, I have all the time I guess.

3. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a sighting, but since Hawaii peeps check in here...figured I ask. I'm looking for some display cases for my collection. Everyone in the mainland can just buy Ikea curio cases for cheap. We are not so fortunate. Anyone know a place to find similar thing to this:

DETOLF Glass-door cabinet - beech effect - IKEA

$65 is so cheap. I found one at City Mill once and it was $220 :(  Craigslist gets some every now and then but they get swooped up quick.

4. BrownBoy808

BrownBoy808 I likes "jabongs."

Sorry to say I can't help you with that one. I've never really looked into glass cases so I wouldn't even know where to start. Inspiration in town maybe?

5. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, but they are notorious for overpriced stuff. Just gotta get lucky then :) 

6. BrownBoy808

Just wanted to give a heads up to the local "bruddahs." If any of you have gotten caught up in the MP Thundercracker/toysrus.com debacle this morning, or just flat out missed out on it, don't bother relying on our local store as a fallback. Though their shipment has yet to arrive, some doofus already put dibs on the whole batch.

7. 808king

808king Active Member

Yes I went the other day to see if there was any chance at the Thundercracker and found out that some idiot already had dibs on the whole batch. So with that being said there is probably no chance at another MP transformer thanks to some idiot who will most likely sell it the same day he grabs it on craigslist for double the price. Just like the MP Rodimus.

8. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How does that happen? TRU let's people call and reserve shit or does this guy have buddies who work there? That's messed up. I was in TRU the other week and saw a guy in there hunting Thundercracker down hard, asking all the workers about it and having them check. Maybe it was him, lol. I called TRU today and the girl took a long ass time getting back to me. All she said was "we don't have them." I asked sold out or they didn't come in? She said sold out yesterday. Liars!

I seriously hope Optimus isn't gonna go this way. I wasn't really hunting Thundercracker that hard since I got the Igear ones, but my friend wanted one so I told him I'd help.

9. BrownBoy808

Apparently the dbag did pick up the stash Wednesday morning. I seriously doubt he has any "true" homies on the inside. It's simply a case of all except like, 2 or 3 workers, being completely hollow-skulled. And yes, things may very well be dire for Optimus (check your PMs for the full scoops).

10. Schnafe

Schnafe .-. --- -... --- - ...

News Credits:
    I was in line Wednesday morning and tried to plead my case to one of the managers and that got me no where. It's terrible that we only have one Toys R Us on the island and this is the one we get stuck with!

11. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that sucks. What did the manager say?

12. Schnafe

News Credits:
    I was asking about when they were going to get Thundercracker in stock and he said they had them but were saving them for the next day. But it didn't matter because they were all already sold. I asked him how that was since they don't do reservations or pre-orders. He said they were already set aside for a few other people. I tried to say that wasn't fair and it should be first come first served, but he wouldn't listen.

On a side note it really seems like the whole island in general is hurting for figures. I don't think I have seen any of the later waves of Prime. When it comes to deluxes all I see is Bumblebee everywhere. Never saw a Vehicon or Airachnid. For the scouts or commanders, or whatever they are called now, it is the same thing. A plethora of the early waves and no Ultra Magnus or Ironhide.

The Walmarts are almost always out of stock of everything and the Targets have plenty of stock of the shelfwarmers. It's just not fair :) 

13. BrownBoy808

Let me guess, you spoke to Derek, one of the assistant managers? Guy's a total fucking jackass. I would highly recommend not dealing with him for ANYTHING. Or was it "Uncle" Dave, the older haole guy? He's the GM of the store, and though very cool is completely clueless as to what's going on in his store half the time. I don't know what TRU's actual company policy is regarding reservations and/or preorders, but the Aiea store does do a "list" for higher demand stuff under the guise of a raincheck. That was partially how I and a couple other local board members were able to get ahold of an MP rodimus last year. Don't know if it's legit or not, and it's a 50/50 shot as to whether you'll score or get screwed, but regardless they do it. But if what someone posted in the TC sightings thread a few days ago is true, TRU corporate is supposedly forcing all stores to start being very strict with the handling of MPs from now on. No holds/reservations, one per person, sold directly from the customer service desk and nothing on the shelf. So theoretically that should give us more hope in regards to MP Prime, but with the way our "beloved" TRU runs, I highly doubt it. They've already got a list going for Prime (which hasn't even hit ANY warehouses nationwide yet), and already I'm at number FIVE. Whether they'll at least uphold the one per person rule has yet to be seen. So like I told a few others, best bet is to watch the website like a hawk and F5, F5, F5.........

As far as figures in general being scarce on island, I agree. It appears to be the usual stores-overorder-in-the-beginning-and-later-waves-barely-or-never-show scenario. Yeah, pretty much everyone is completely swamped with wave 1 CV commanders, but I have seen the current deluxe, voyager, and CV legend/legion waves pop up a couple of times at the two Targets, so they definitely are your best bet. I did manage to luck out with a Vehicon a couple of months ago (yeah I'm a liar, I gave in to the Prime line.... but to my credit I am being extremely selective :tongue: ), but even that I had to talk bubbles to get it pulled from the back. I was also able to luck upon a CV commander Dreadwing for my son about a month ago as well (there was an Ironhide on the shelf also but he didn't want it). Walmart on the other hand, is becoming a lost cause. Either shelfwarmers galore or nothing, and a TRU-esque price increase on top of that.

14. BrownBoy808

Found the post in regards to TRU supposedly tightening up on MP sales:

15. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sounds encouraging but will the memo get to our little rock in the middle of the Pacific :)  I went in the other day to return something and asked one of the females behind customer service about any sort of raincheck or list for Optimus. She said nope, they don't do that. LOL. Oh well, sucks knowing I have to get it on TRU.com, but oh well.

As for the other places, yeah Wal-Mart has sucked for a while. They barely have anything on the pegs. I did find an Ultra Magnus Commander for my son there. The Pearl City one had Dread Wing and Iron Hide Cyberverse Commanders when I was there yesterday. TRU has shrunk their Transformer section to just a small sliver in between Iron Man/GI Joe. They got nothing besides Bees. The best place I've seen is Targets and even they are hit or miss. Most times you have to get stock pulled and depending on who you ask, you might not even get that. I was lucky enough to find 2 Vehicons on the pegs. Have yet to see Arachnid. For such a hated/ugly figure, she sure is pretty popular. I have seen 2 shops with Arachnid in their store pics. One is a collector shop above Jimbo's on King St. They had a craigslist ad for their shop and in the pic was Arachnid. Also one of those Animation Addicts or whatever it's called in Ala Moana (back side second floor by Shirokiya) had some of the newer wave Cyberverse figs when I was in there. So looks like these stores are buying up the product and re-selling them.

It's a race! I'm still hunting a Voyager Dreadwing.

16. BrownBoy808

It's all the scalpers' faults. Just kidding. :tongue:  While I do believe they are a factor, overall I still say it's the stores' shitty ordering/reordering habits as well as Hasbro's oversaturation of Bumblebees and Ops that are primarily to blame for the current availability issues.

I've never even heard of that Jimbo guy, but I'm pretty sure Animation Addict/Magic order cases on their own. In the past I have come across some of the RTS stuff that never hit regular retail.

17. Schnafe

News Credits:
    Just an FYI that at the moment Thundercracker is in stock at TRU.com. I figured I would post in here in case anyone is subscribed to this thread and wanted the opportunity to buy him. I have these posts auto forward to my phone as a text message so that I can get instant updates! Sometimes those few minutes / hours make all of the difference!

18. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate our TRU. Rolled through to see what was available for the buy 2 get 3. All I saw was like 6 pegs full of Bayformer deluxes and Prime Bumblebees. Sigh.

19. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not exactly a sighting, but since it seems like most of us will have troubles getting a MP Optimus Prime...TRU website is preordering them. Seems like it goes up early EST time, so start checking the News forum around 10PM or so. I got mine last night at around 10:45PM HST. Judging from the replies here looks like it stayed up pretty long, until like 3AM HST. Free shipping too. Good luck guys. Beats driving to Pearl City every week and coming up empty handed because there's already a secret list holding them all that most of us can't get on anyway :D 

20. BrownBoy808

Yeah, I was literally banging my head against the counter at work yesterday morning when I found out I totally missed on the inital offering. But I noticed it went back up around 8 last night and stayed up for over 5 hours after so I managed to lock one in. I'm still gonna leave my name on our oh-so-beloved TRU's bullshit list though, so if anyone misses out on the website they can go ahead and take the one I have on "reserve" at the store. Assuming of course they even bother to revise how they're handling this whole list thing, and they get enough to fulfill everyone. But do keep in mind they did confirm to me that their in-store price is gonna be higher ($114.99).