haven't read tf comics since ahm. what's the scoop?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ckhtiger, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    it seems like idw has TONS of tf miniseries going on. I'd like to know if they all fit together in the same universe (not interested in any bay-verse movie titles) and if they chronologically come after all hail megatron, or if they're still doing one-shots and mini series that fit into the goings-on in the -ation titles.

I'd also like to know the consensus on how the new books are. are they collectively good or bad, or is it a mix of the two? IDW seemed to have quite inconsistent quality a with the spotlight books, and once all hail megatron kicked in it seemed to become a storytelling nightmare, so I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and give up on transformers comics, or go searching out the books that have come out in the past 6 months. thanks!

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    are they so bad no one's reading them?

3. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

check out the threads in the comic section, there's been one for each book. I think we're up to #5 in the ongoing, the Bumblebee mini has finished, and Last Stand of the Wreckers is about to come out with #3.

I think on the whole the reaction has been very positive to the ongoing. The first issue of the ongoing shakes up the status quo then has some interesting developments since then, with some very good characterization. People are mixed about bumblebee and think the story/characters are a bit dumbed down. All in all, I personally thought it was an interesting read. The fandom is going bonkers over LSotW, and rightfully so. It's taking some obscure characters and telling a great story.

I think they are all worth picking up if you're dedicated enough. LSotW is the only one that seemingly doesn't intersect with the others, but if you want the entire story--which to me, is the only way to read these comics--you gotta catch 'em all.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Can someone list all the series out there that we have to read? I'd like to follow IDW's TF story (I've been following since Infiltration), but I gave up after AHM because I'm not even sure what series are the pseudo-G1 series and which ones are the ROTF series anymore.

I think it's: Ongoing, Wreckers, Bumblebee, Spotlight. Anything else?

5. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

you just listed them all. ahm tbps came in 4 volumes then came the other 3 you and i already mentioned. also tfwiki.net is your friend.

6. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

The Ongoing takes place 3 years after AHM ended. Bumblebee takes place at the same time as the Ongoing and features many of the same characters. Wreckers takes place shortly before the Ongoing starts, but it's very far removed from anything going on in it.

For me, I'm loving the Ongoing and Wreckers. Bumblebee was a bit of a let down, but it wasn't terrible.

7. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    am i in the minority about not liking wreckers?

8. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

Bumblebee: he tries to lead some Autobots but it doesn't work out. Skip it.
    Wreckers: If the phrase "Impactor returns" gets you excited, then get it.
    Definitely get the ongoing, but in TRADE form for sketches of Figueroa's redesigns.

9. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

After AHM I decided to rest on the montly titles and wait for trade paperback. Sucks waiting, but at least I can read them all in one shot.

I used to buy the monthly single issues and the trade paperbacks, so now I'm saving money as well. :) 

And if anybody is looking for single issues of the IDW TF comics from Infiltration, and Spotlights, to All Hail Megatron, let me know.

10. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    for me, the lesser humans the better, wreckers get my vote as the best series atm,

idw really picked up the ball by getting their tpbs out fast. Will be switching to tpbs, issue 6 will be my last issue of the on going and after wreckers is done, all trades.