Have the 2006 Classics characters had better toys (not MP) since then?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Transformers: Classics - Transformers Wiki

Just counting the deluxes and voyagers. I would say yes except for Ramjet and Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper has had a repaint of a Scout Bumblebee which isn't really better, and Ramjet hasn't had any new toys. Mirage may be a repaint of Drag Strip but I still thnk its a better toy than his Classics mold.

I'll count the AoE repaint of FoC Grimlock as being G1 Grimlock due to his colors and design despite not technically being the same character (that doesn't mean the likes of movie Ramjet is a stand-in for G1 Ramjet though)

2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Are we counting third party figures? I personally think it should be excluded.

I don't think Optimus has had a better official figure. I dislike Combiner Wars, and Titans Return is more G2 Laser Prime then it is Classics material.

I honestly feel it hurts classics Bumblebee and Cliffjumper because of the lack of deluxe sized mini-bots. Guess that's what Radicons are for.

Ramjet needs a new figure, maybe a remold of FOC Starscream?

The rest? I think they have better alternatives now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yeah, no third party figures.

4. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

Back when the classics were new, I thought they were awesome, but a bit fiddly. The only ones I recall not liking are Galvatron and Ironhide, which were pretty terrible. They've been in a box for a few years and I pulled some out a while back to mess with them. A lot of the guys are duplicated in Combiner Wars, and although the Classics versions of these guys are more true to the G1 toys and cartoon, the newer figures were much better toys. I could barely even get Classics Prowl to stand up, while CW Prowl is awesome. I think the one exception I had was Sunsreaker, the classics one was considerably better. You could make an argument for Cyclonus as well, the old deluxe is awesome and a great representation of the G1 character. The CW Voyager is also a great figure, but being a remold isn't as accurate to the original. I prefer the voyager myself but I totally understand people who prefer the deluxe.

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Have they?
    IMG_1949.JPG

The answer is yes.

6. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  7. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Cliffjumper is in desperate need of a better Classics update and not just a straight BB repaint unless it has some good remolded details. I have FoC CJ as a stand in since at least he has a remolded head.

But overall, I'm mixed. Jetfire, Grimlock, Ultra Magnus, and the aforementioned CJ, have better figures since the 2006 releases but Prime, BB, the seekers, Mirage, Hot Rod, and Megatron are still represented by their 2006 molds on my classics shelf. However with Megs, Screamer, and BB, while they are still the 2006 molds, I did opt for better later repaints with United, TFU 2.0, and RTS respectively. :) 

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Ironhide is a big debatable. Trailbreaker probably less so. Galvatron is a monumental improvement. Beyond that I still prefer the classics to the cw renditions. I absolutely loathe the breakdown /sunstreaker/wheeljack/whoever mold. The new prowl mold isnt bad though I only own the stunticon variant of it.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking as someone who has all the Henkei toys

Optimus: no
    Megatron: no - CW is too big and TR looks cheap because of all the unpainted grey plastic and stickers
    Jetfire: yes
    Grimlock: yes
    Seekers: no - FOC Starscream toy is decent but I don't like it because it's not an Earth based alt mode and lack of coneheads
    Astrotrain: no - the alt modes actually look like something, unlike the TR toy and not having a HM gimmick shoved in is a plus
    Bumblebee/CJ: no
    Rodimus: no - but only because of the 3P Rodimus Prime trailer upgrade and again I don't like HMs
    Mirage: no

• Like Like x 3
  10. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    They both suck :) 

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm still a huge fan of those original Classics toys. Optimus is still one of my most favorite TF molds ever. Mirage as well. They all have their drawbacks but I can't say most of them have been replaced on my Classics shelf. Grimlock and Jetfire are the main two who I feel have definitively had better toys come after them. Hot Rod is debatable.

12. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Not to sound like a smartass, and I usually group Universe 2.0 with Classics myself, but the thread is specifically about Classics 2006, and every figure you mentioned is from the 2008 line Universe 2.0.

But yes, I do agree that the newer figures tend to be objectively better than the old ones. For example, the OP prefers CW Mirage over the Classics version, -probably because he's not super skinny or because he actually has 5mm hands - and although I prefer the old one because I think his lithe, slender proportions are fitting for someone who's rich, aloof, and not fully accustomed to being a soldier, I do sometimes feel that in general, modern attempts at characters we already got ten or so years ago tend to be better. [/runonsentence]

Except Hound. Nothing is ever topping his Universe toy. Ever.

13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I would say yes to Jetfire, although the first Classics release is still a gem to me. Hot Rod yes, I am inclined to say no to Prime. Megatron, I really enjoyed the short time I got to play with the Classics version but I do prefer owning the TR voyager triple changer. Mirage, I am still very much in favour of the first Classics release.

Starscream, I probably would enjoy the leader class one more these days than the original classics toy.

All the best
    Maz

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    that's exactly why, yes.

15. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

We need a chug style voyager ironhide

16. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I second that

17. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

D'oh, I always lump 2006 and the 2008 lines together. I'm old and senile. And you are totally right about Hound.

18. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Since the answer is entirely subjective, yes. Some have. Some have not. Some will likely soon.

19. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Out here making whatever whenever

Not sure about "better", but I'd say the majority of the old classics characters have at least been redone in toys that are more fun to handle over the years. I definitely prefer the older classics/generations bots to rep characters individually in my display, but the improved articulation and range of motion of the CW/UW/TR lines makes them better to pose and play around with for me.

20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Boo! There's great third party stuff out there.

On topic I much prefer the Leader Seekers. Just wish we got more than the usual three.

Titans Galvatron is better when you paint his face and buy the 3rd party Shapeways helmet.

Titans Ironhide is great.