HasLab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ziltama, Mar 26, 2021.

1. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched Peaugh's review and am honestly quite impressed with the transformation. Yes he's a big shellformer, but the way each segment of shell folds up into units you work on one at a time is pretty dang elegant for what it is. I'd love to have the chance to mess with one for a few hours. I think if I had one and displayed it I'd actually go with planet mode. It seems so much more striking, especially with how huge the ring is.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    Planet mode seems even bigger and takes more room than robot mode mainly because the planet sits high above the stand since it's at the same height the robot chest would be at. Then the ring extends higher than the robot head would and into the whole perimeter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    Actually 15! All three arms of the base each have five slots.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    You are correct. Fixing some more typos and errors too in OG post. Thanks.

5. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the nonstop photos on here and other places should say, I fucking love this toy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    @ziltama , awesome job with the pics and write up. Can you share more details of your LED mod?

7. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I just opened mine up, it kind of feels like the panel should fold in, but a bit of pressure doesn't seem to do the trick and I don't want to accidentally break something on a $600 purchase. Can anyone confirm that it does fold in?

I also think the long "tail" part you have hanging down can be somehow folded inside after transformation. Can anyway confirm that for me?

You would think with a 32 page instruction booklet they could bother to actually to explain how to put the dumb stand in.

8. ziltama

News Credits:
    That's what the photo shows for the small panel on the bottom...

It's stubborn and tabbed in. After pulling out what I think you're calling the tail, you can try to separate the larger panels surrounding the small square one just enough to push it on in.

The 'tail' hangs out and simply doesn't go inside.

As already mentioned, having Unicron upside down (on a soft surface like a rug to avoid scuffing paint), makes putting the stand in much easier.

The small stand panel is not the only step missing. Transforming back to planet mode is even worse trying to read the manual in reverse.

9. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. Once I pressed enough it did come loose and then became so floppy it felt like I broke something. But yeah I moved it back and now it is super tight again. So weird, but thanks for letting me know.

10. ziltama

News Credits:
    Ok, did some research based on feedback from another thread. The longer panel can go both ways. However, to tuck the longer panel in, you would need to take apart the bottom rear center panels to safely do. As a consequence, however, Unicron may get "ripped pants":

Panel in. Vertical gap, "ripped pants", doesn't want to stay closed.
    [​IMG]

Panel out. Able to close gap.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Updated 2nd post with these pics.

@Smokescreen38 I put details here:
    Heavy/Scratch: - Various mods (of mods), custom stuff

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  11. joshimuwa87

joshimuwa87 Member

I'm too poor to even dream of getting this unicron. But I'm surprised more people aren't pissed about the blue maw. It looks really ugly to me, no offense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ziltama

News Credits:
    I was also annoyed by pics, but it's one of those "huh, not that bad in person" dealies.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I honestly don't mind it, I'll take a fix but if one never truly comes around it isnt the end of the world

14. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    I’m more pissed that I’m also too poor to afford Unicron (or any of the Titans) and it’s made me deeply sad on far too many occasions as of late :cry 

15. Spicytron

Spicytron Well-Known Member

You're not alone. Despite my gripes over the kibble that for 550 I think could have been better taken care of, I also still wanted this figure.

Sadly 'tis but a pipedream now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    um....posing the stand with the panel sticking out is a good way to snap it off as it's supposed to be tucked inside.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ziltama

News Credits:
    This has been discussed in another thread.

It comes out the right distance. As with any panel, if you overdo it, then yes, you can run into problems.

The panel design is odd for Hasbro. Technically, the panel is supposed to come out by its design, curved at the base for outward motion, and how it's tabbed in. In order to tuck inside, you would need to do an 'illegal' move (to borrow a Lego term) which Hasbro typically never does. This would be pulling the panel towards the side away from the hinge, get clearance past where it's tabbed in, and then finally tuck inside.

The instructions never mention how the panel gets tucked in either. It's only shown on the last page already tucked in when taking Unicron off the stand.

It's all very odd.

18. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

My unicron arrived, did I get a variant no one has discovered yet?

81vrt9kmGoL._SL1500_2048x2048.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  19. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pros:
    * Damn big, broad, and dense. It says a lot by how much larger it looks than other Titan-class toys, despite only being a few inches taller in 'bot mode.
    * Planet mode is excellent, spherical, and largely screen-accurate down to its asymmetrical cratery surface details.
    * The stand is a valuable accessory, necessary for planet mode, still valuable for robot mode, and an excellent anchor for transforming the toy.
    * Sculpted surface detail in either mode is stunning, and does a great job enhancing the impression of size.
    * Working planet mouth gimmick is fun and works easily (on mine), and sounds a tiny bit like Pac-Man. :) 
    * Articulation is excellent, but limited somewhat by the toy's mass and available space.
    * With an exception here or there, the toy seems mostly solid and durable, and able to stand up to use, which is good, because some bits require some real manhandling.
    * I appreciate the work that went into locking parts down solidly for either mode.
    * Takes a lot of visual inspiration from the 1986 movie, more so than any other appearance, especially given the alternate face and chin parts, to match his inconsistent appearances in the film (My go-to is regular face, forked chin) (more an observation than an actual "pro")

Cons:
    * Its size and weight is definitely an issue, from finding a place to keep or display it (especially if the stand is involved) to transforming or posing it, which is a little like trying to change the clothes of an angry protesting toddler.
    * I would not call transforming Unicron "fun". It requires a mix of finesse and brute force, as well as good information on how to do it.
    * The instruction booklet, while nice-looking, is frequently inadequate, so supplement with online info where possible.
    * Same as others, the parts that collapse together to move the arms from planet to robot mode seem less than adequate. I'd recommend only turning the arm joints while locked in robot mode position if possible.
    * It's a shell-formery transformation, resulting in lots of planet shell kibble on the robot's back and legs. I'm assuming this was done so the robot mode would be as structurally sound as it could be.
    * While the shell kibble doesn't bother me very much, the dangling equatorial "spike strips" do, and I wish more was done to fold them up or tuck them away for robot mode.
    * It's sort of a parts-former too, as it's recommended to remove the head and wing-rings for transformation. It's not required to do though, and you could transform it leaving both attached, but it makes the job more of a hassle.
    * The moving eye gimmick is borderline pointless, and doesn't show when a faceplate is attached, as there is no lighter color to show through. Personally, I think green LEDs or no eye gimmick at all would be preferable.
    * There are some bits that would look better, or at least more screen-accurate with some improved paint details.

Overall:
    Given the price, especially aftermarket prices, I imagine few people are still on the fence about Unicron, at least not to the point where whatever I say would make much difference. I can understand how some might be loudly disappointed with mold issues, color choices, paint apps, or other problems real or imagined. which given the price tag, I can't just dismiss. But then, I also understand that, crowdfunding or no, this is still a Transformer toy, created and produced by Hasbro and Takara-Tomy, manufactured using the same factories and processes. and even expensive Masterpiece toys run into issues, budget or manufacturing concerns, or unexpected changes, so I'm OK with not sweating the small stuff the same as I might on a sub-$50 toy. Regardless, this Unicron toy is possibly a once in a lifetime event, or at least once in probably several years at the least, so I didn't feel like missing out.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Buckybarnes

Buckybarnes Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had a Quality issue like this? Misassembled parts.