Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Indeed. Like I stated, I was genuinely shocked by the size (or lack thereof). Ironically, living in Japan, In actually more interested in smaller figures in dine cases. However, the hype for this figure had me imagining it would be about 2.5 times the size of Fort Max.

2. Raze134

Raze134 Well-Known Member

Is anybody else trying to convince themselves it's not worth it? I see that Unicron is worth about 32 Marvel Legends/Star Wars Black Series figures and I ask myself, "Is one big figure worth my MCU shelf?" and as much as I want him, I'm gonna have to hold my self back.

• Like Like x 7
  3. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was actually an interview with the designer that talked about how they wanted him to be a solid meter tall, but the plastic couldn't support the weight. Just a fun fact I wanted to share.

• Like Like x 9
  4. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

I funded him within the first half hour of Unicron being available. I do recall feeling scared of the cost for a split minute, but Unicron is one of my favorite characters and I remember my much younger self wanting a very large version of him to be made.

Unicron pays for himself in the actual product itself, imo, but add the nostalgia factor, it being a dream project for many, being a true a collection centerpiece, a talking point that has brought nearly 900 pages of tfw posts, podcasts everywhere, damn has this sucker added to the hobby in so many positive ways.

He's worth every penny.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Numerous people are trying to convince other people it's not worth it. :lol  I think most people have made up their minds by now though, for or against.

• Like Like x 7
  6. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    I bet you there are some Chinese lads in KO land suddenly fighting the urge to tell that designer to hold their bottle of Tsingtao.

I also read that a TT designer stated that the recent (ish) CW Devvy couldn't be downsized, for (inversely?) similar reasons, and yet there was a recent DSKO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Some serious sour grapes in here since this thing is virtually funded.

Man, some people were so ready to gloat about this "epic failure" that other people being happy is literally ruining their day.

• Like Like x 20
  8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This figure, proportionately scaled to 2.5x the height of Fort Max (22", IIRC) would weigh 277 lbs.

Just putting that out there.

[edit] Fucked up my multiplication factor. Did 3x instead of 2.5x for some reason. Proper total is only 160 lbs. Still wildly impractical.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All things considered, that OS KO of that not-Predaking turned out to be a giant floppy mess, so unless an actual steel skeleton is added to Unicron, I think we're at the maximum viable height to allow for safety standards to be upheld and to prevent structural integrity issues.

• Like Like x 6
  10. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think anyone is going to tell the dude who has been here from the beginning to hold anything. the plastic density will not support the weight of a larger figure, and some OS figures end up proving that upsizing stuff doesn't always work. downsizing is a whole other thing.

• Like Like x 4
  11. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    I think only some of the OSKOs were floppy, or that might be about the osko (War Machine?) Bruticus. And upmarket KOs often feature metal parts, so who knows?

12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Compression strength of materials is most certainly a thing. Those limits will drop significantly if you start factoring in things like joints and articulation, where even if the materials themselves could hold up, no amount of practical jointing will manage.

• Like Like x 4
  13. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    From what I read at these boards, there was mention that Devvy couldn't be downsized as the original size-to-plastic density was needed as-is. Making it smaller would create thinner, more brittle toys, but here we are...

14. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

Some other company (or even haslab) may improve or one up this Unicron, but this guy is just such an event. $600 can buy a lot of fun cheese. As I made my decision, I was thinking not other toys I could buy, but stuff like a new HDTV, new couch, vacation somewhere... lol. My current thought is that the best $600 cheese is still unicron.

• Like Like x 3
  15. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, good to know that board members were the ones saying it, but I have not found any trace of a designer saying anything about it. This is a designer who has worked with the brand for close to 35 years, I think I'll take the word of a professional.

• Like Like x 8
  16. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    The price of it coupled with Unicron not being a have to have character for me is what kept me from ever wanting this figure to begin with. I love the titan class figures I have so far, and while they werent cheap, they were cheap by comparison to this Unicron. Regardless of how many bonuses this comes with, the weight of it, the uniqueness of it, its just been a hard pass for me from the beginning, mainly because of how much more stuff I can get with $600 instead of spending it all on one figure that doesnt really do it for me anyway. That being said, those that want it, I am glad they might actually get it now. Those that hate it, I am glad you hate it cause the posts on here will continue to be entertaining, lol.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Uncharismatic Bore

Uncharismatic Bore JAFO

Not I. I've waited over thirty years for a toy that gives justice to the magnitude of Unicron. I also believe that no OFFICIAL release will be attempted any time soon, if ever. It's very possible that I am wrong of course. However, if a redo does happen down the line, I am likely to be more concerned about making it to the bathroom on time considering my age.

I'm grabbing this while I can and it is still financially feasible. Those of you who are upset with the current price are really going to be mad if you change your mind and find yourselves stuck with the aftermarket. Life is too short for regrets people.

• Like Like x 4
  18. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bit late of him to jump on the bandwagon, despite his projected image as the über-fan. Guess boring drama filled webcomics don't pay as much as they used to.

• Like Like x 3
  19. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    It was stated at the boards add having been stated by a designer.

20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But they don't Transform! Transformers who do not transform are a big waste to me. Based on how these big Titan toys from RID, Cyberverse and Movie shelfwarm, I am not alone with this opinion.

• Like Like x 2