Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Wait, am I going nuts? I just saw Hasbro post a celebratory story on Insta proclaiming 7k. And now it’s deleted maybe?

• Like Like x 2
  2. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Just had a read through, all good comments. The lack of leg & back kibble on zeta outweigh the accuracy of the back of the planet.

I do really like the opening maw feature and the size of the planet ring (certainly adds the sense of scale) but that's about where the positives stop

I suppose with unicron his bot mode is the alt mode (much like the dinobots) so I can see the idea of prioritising planet features over bot.

I'm looking forward to getting him for what he is and represents but I don't find the engineering impressive in the slightest

• Like Like x 2
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Fund it people, fund it because there are some folks I absolutely need to show it, rub it, assault and violate them with it to show how small and meaningless their sail barge is in comparison.

It's the pissing contest between the fandoms and I absolutely need the heaviest ammo.

• Like Like x 4
  4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    The kibble is visible behind his head. I don't know how you can say otherwise.

Yes. I don't have a home full of cheap Ikea crap. I have actual stained wood office furniture, several pieces were custom made in the 90s, plus an antique family heirloom display case for my favorite toys (mostly bots). I'm not going to screw it up with an obese toy that weighs more than exercise weights. That's been one of my main concerns from the start.

Also a rule: no kids or pets in my office.

5. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I saw Unicron at SDCC and obviously only have video knowledge of CS. Unicron's aura made my jaw drop and stole the show for me.

I own a shit ton of plastic toys (yay for me?), the diversity of my collection speaks volumes of who I am, my likes and dislikes, my childhood, my current state of life, and my future. UNICRON, if I get to own him, he will be my centerpiece. He's not perfect, whatever that is, but he would set a tone and feel with his presence in my room that no other owned toy, including core star, can fathom.

I watched the movie for the bazillionth time a few days ago, and honestly Haslab's Unicron hits the look and aura of the character quite well. In my head, Orson Well's voice sounds much better to me coming from Unicron than Core Star.

I have a preorder for Core Star at showz, hope it gets made so I can have him iron man landing on Unicron.

• Like Like x 5
  6. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Woah calm down, ease off the Dark Energon shots. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  7. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

I don't prefer this over Zeta (I don't prefer anything over anything), but there's a number of things that Hasbro's version has over Zeta's.

First let's get the big bugaboos out of the way. HasTak's Unicron is huge, and people like that. It's a big selling point - people generally want a big Unicron toy for a variety of reasons. It also has a design aesthetic that sits with the general toyline being produced right now. It's therefore "compatible" with general market figures - the kind of figures most collectors are going to have right now as opposed to the trickle of official MPs that are rapidly increasing in price, or the ten skillion MP-alike 3P toys that all embrace minor, but substantive variations in aesthetics.

As some have said, Zeta's bot mode while impressive does not have a very screen accurate planet mode. A decent chunk of people (me included) are planning on displaying in planet mode for the most part. This is probably the biggest reason people might prefer HasTak's over Zeta's. Unicron was more or less the coda of the G1 series. Most people kind of lost interest on or about the end of Season 3. It's important to some to have this big, mega-imposing planet as the centerpiece of the biggest G1 event ever to occur. Zeta's weedy planet and accurate-but-small bot mode isn't going to cut it for some.

Getting more into the nitty gritty, HasTak is a generally known quantity. They have a certain design philosophy with their figures. Most HasTak figures can be converted without directions by the general population. The latter Generations lines generally adhere to a "fast, easy transformation" scheme for their figures. As a result, HasTak's design and engineering appears geared towards actual, regular handling.

This is not always the case with 3P figures. Now, some people honestly believe that 3P figures are fragile faberge' eggs still. They're definitely not, but they do generally get away with certain design features for the sake of screen accuracy. Some of these design choices can result in perilous things, like thinner spires, spines,side view mirrors, and other accouterments that have a bad habit of snapping, breaking, or just falling off. As the toon look is currently in, transformations are getting more and more complicated and messy, which increases the probability of things like breakage.

In short, some people are okay with HasTak's eggshell transformation as opposed to trying to stuff layers of panels into things and dealing with a far more fiddly transformation scheme. As a finer point, I personally haven't been impressed with Zeta's plastics - I find them brittle with a bad habit of swirly patches. I'd be concerned about breakage, especially if I didn't properly sandwich everything together just so and I have a CRAPTON of 3P figures that I don't have that worry with.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but hyperbole and fanboy flag waving aside (really don't want to invite brand loyalty discussion), I think those may encapsulate the bigger issues as to why HasTak's version may carry appeal over Zeta's.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

Completely fair, I definitely appreciate that perspective. I know I plan on having mine in planet mode most of the time for display, so I like that they gave it planet articulation (the lensing maw and movable pincers).

There were other positives that were discussed later in the thread that weren’t in those posts, including the more accurate line detailing / paneling in both modes (though some prefer the cleaner/plainer look of Zeta’s robot mode) more accurate head sculpt (though I am not in love with either), and others. Definitely understand why this is not for everyone. All good if you prefer Zeta’s.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Right, I can even agree with you on that. But my point is calling them haters or whatever is just stirring the pot. Best to ignore it, which is my only point.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

For me it’s size and planet mode. Easily bests Zeta’s by a mile. I’m displaying in Planet mode. If zetas gets made I’ll buy it and display in robot mode.

• Like Like x 9
  11. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

It’s my understanding that all publicly traded companies are required to hire one of the big four? accounting firms for independent auditing. It’s my belief that Faking backers is misreporting revenue. Not that I care greatly to be right or need to continue a distracted squabble which is irrelevant to Unicron.
    I’m just throwing my two cents on how extremely unlikely Hasbro would do this to get to 8000.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Hahaha! Nice. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  13. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Yea totally for a planet mode Hasbro has it beat after reading through comments and looking at comparisons and as I mentioned, Unicrons planet might as well be his main mode and bot is the secondary alt mode.

My concern isn't with the preference of zeta or Hasbro so much but if this comes to light and zeta doesn't there will always be the "what could have been" it's why I'd rather Hasbro rather than stop zeta happening, stepped their game up and recognised someone else other than Hasbro has capable engineering and maybe worked as a collaboration to provide the best version possible. After seeing how clean a unicron bot mode could be, this would always feel like settling

@hasbro - this isn't a dick swinging contest, you say this is for the fans then put your meat sword and ego aside, learn from what zeta has shown is capable and come up with something better to give us

• Like Like x 3
  14. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    I am probably going to end up owning both ..... very cheaply.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ACMagnus

ACMagnus Phantom Thief

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Shelf presence is a huge one for me. If it turns into a planet, it should be bigger than the figures that turn into cities. Plus, that planet mode is absolutely perfect.

• Like Like x 6
  16. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

They aren't complaints, they are concerns.

• Like Like x 2
  17. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Haslab Unicron is literally "good enough" for me. Sure it's more expensive but it's also coming from a demon I know. Zeta? I have no idea what their toy tolerances are like. Dunno if its actually gonna be good. I've been burned once or twice by 3P so I always think about that when deciding on 3P. At least with Haslab I have a baseline on what to expect. I'm nearly on my way out of collecting and Hasbro is making it increasingly easy for me to fill holes in my collection without having to go through the 3P route for it and I wanna support that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. kidlat2000

kidlat2000 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this was already posted but is Haslab making Sharkticons after Unicron if this gets funding?

This is the instagram post

upload_2019-10-2_18-59-17.png

• Like Like x 7
  19. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Yep, if people can come and give positive criticism it's more than ok for people to provide negative.

• Like Like x 1
  20. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

Aww man, I own ikea furniture... I am a sad foobot333. I'll go hug my doggies in a corner now. =) if @lordsmurf wants to make up for making me sad for my poor life choices, one could consider a poor life choice to match me and help crowdfund the Unicron we've been enjoying talking about!! Lol jk.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.