Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

We were talking about the intricate sculpting details and whether or not that aesthetic is accurate to the movie. Haslab Unicron has it in both modes, and IMO it sure is beautiful and faithful in spirit to the source material.

Sure there is kibble. It’s the result of designers actually caring about both modes. Its gives us the super cool lensing maw that perfectly recapitulates the feeding of Lithone (planet articulation!), and a planet crust and deco that actually resembles the movie. Sorry the sacrifices don’t work for you, but hopefully you have an alternative option!

• Like Like x 14
  2. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    God, I love this scene. It was what made me as a kid want a toy of him. For me, Unicron was the first Transformer without allegiance and that made him really cool. He didn't care what he destroyed but the fact that he still needed Galvatron meant that he couldn't do everything, which was an interesting concept for me at the age of 5. Though it does beg to question, what was Unicron planing on doing with the matrix when he got it? Just eat it and hope it gets lost somewhere in his body? Because we saw how well that went.

Now I've even more excited for this guy.

• Like Like x 9
  3. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    upload_2019-9-28_18-32-50.jpeg

That’s why I’m bringing up the giant turtle shell. It baffles me that someone would spend so much time sculpting the greebling when this is the structure they have to work with. Sure, unicron’s planet mode is spot-on, but the robot mode only looks good from the front. Why spend so much time adding details like lines around his planet-crater-nipples, when THIS is what he looks like from the side and back? No matter what stylistic accuracy you’re going for, it’s blown entirely if you look slightly to the side. It’s as if you have a Batman figure with screen-accurate facial stubble, but instead of a cape, he has a turtle shell.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    It was probably a design compromise. He spends more time in planet mode in the movie so I think they were willing to let the kibble on the back go if they got the front of him looking right. After all, not many people display figures from behind (though admittedly it does became more obvious with posing). I understand why it bothers you as it is VERY noticeable but I personally am okay with it. I mean, I've been collecting TFs for a while so back kibble, even ones that are super noticeable, are par for the course for me. Really all I'm looking for is if he's fun to transform. So far, the answer looks to be yes. And even if it's a no, I'd still like to own this guy. He's just cool and I love me some Unicron.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

Ha, yeah I think that was the plan, but he didn’t expect the one guy in the universe who could actually use it (who didn’t even know he could use it or that it was in Unicron) staging a break-in through his eye. He was felled by a series of crazy coincidences.

I get that it baffles you, but they wanted something that was fun and looks great in both modes, and IMO they succeeded. Maybe not from every angle in robot mode (I do not think it looks great from direct side or back views), but those are the sacrifices they chose, and you can pick if that works for you. It more than works for me. The robot looks great and will display well from the front. The details and features are incredible, blah blah blah. I’ve outlined what I love about the figure ad nauseum. There are a number of things that baffles me about spending $300 on the competition that’s almost as big as CW Devastator and has a planet mode and a head that looks like that, but honestly I have no interest in hopping in the other thread and shitting on anyone’s parade (or funeral, whatever the news may be this week).

• Like Like x 7
  6. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Well I don't think he had any plans for it, since Unicron told Galvatron that he wanted him to destroy the Matrix.

• Like Like x 4
  7. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t see it as shitting on anyone’s funeral parade. You made a bunch of points showing how incredibly accurate it is to the movie. I showed a picture from the main page of this thread that refutes that accuracy due to the enormous turtle shell. Whatever attributes other figures do or do not have, this guy has a ginormous turtle shell. Some of that $600 goes to Koopa Kosplay.

• Like Like x 1
  8. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Without sacrifice, there can be no victory!"

• Like Like x 6
  9. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

We were specifically talking about the surface detailing. Go back and reread. Kibble is another issue, and more and more it looks like you were just looking for an opening to harp on it. Which is totally your perogative, as is your right to make shell “jokes.”

• Like Like x 15
  10. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Good point. Maybe he couldn't destroy it himself. But if all he needed to do was get it destroyed, then why did he ask Galvatron to bring it to him later in the movie? Though it has been a while since I've seen the movie so I can't remember the exact line. I think it was when Ultra Magnus was on the junk planet.

• Like Like x 2
  11. goldenboy1on1

goldenboy1on1 Well-Known Member

yeah, i don't get the shell jokes and complaints. this isn't a masterpiece figure. i think hasbro did the best they could do when factoring in size, weight, etc. considering its not a masterpiece and in line with the war of cybertron line (NOT masterpiece) this is a damn nice looking figure. if people are going to make jokes and complain about kibble, are they doing the same for other releases in the line?

• Like Like x 8
  12. Zaragon

Zaragon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    And backed.

• Like Like x 16
  13. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

I've rewatched the movie a lot lately (beauty of having a phablet...this and other favorites are on my person at all times lol) and I never realized just how much of an adrenaline kick to the nads it is. Once Magnus goes down and Kup and Hot Rod get off the Quintesson homeworld, the movie meanders a little and loses it's break neck pace.

But once Galvatron shows up with the Matrix it's on again. That "oh $#!t" face on Galvatron was my face as a kid in the theater. I remember thinking,"Wait...wh--what's he...hands?! Holy hell, he's transforming?!!!!"

"For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet...but now...you shall witness...it's dismemberment!" (casually drifts over to Cybertron and proceeds to spike it like a volleyball)

I think his final words as Galvatron's ship flies off was,"Find the Matrix...destroy it."

• Like Like x 6
  14. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it honestly just sounds like you like complaining, you're point had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation going on at the time and you've repeatedly harped on the same thing. give it a rest

• Like Like x 15
  15. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Haha! I do kind of remember that now. My brain must have added in extra lines or something. Still one of the best scenes in all TF media for me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. MC10

MC10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Woot woot welcome to the club brotha!

• Like Like x 5
  17. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 Well-Known Member

Where's the "official" counter posted?

• Like Like x 1
  18. octobotimus

octobotimus Plastic Criminal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the Haslab unicron page...

• Like Like x 1
  19. jojo1982

jojo1982 Active Member

We’ve seen this in pretty much 90% of the figures in the Siege line, so I don’t know why Unicron having a shell back pack should be all that surprising.
    Just look at Optimus, Megatron, Soundwave, etc...

• Like Like x 2
  20. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

I wonder if the instagram post translated into a few new buyers. Looks like 20 new backers in the last 12 hours, which I feel ls outside the typical range we’ve been seeing the last few weeks. Could be noise but in the event that it’s real, please keep posts like that coming — I’ll take every little bit we can get.

• Like Like x 7