Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

It's okay, some people like toys that don't resemble the character. Look at all the people that bought AOE Grimlock.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TAAO

TAAO Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the link. I knew about Zeta, but never actually took a look at him. All I can say is "Wow". I personally think he looks fantastic and would have been happy to have both, Haslab's Unicron and Zeta's in my collection. Now it looks like I won't have either.
    It really sucks that so many are so short-sighted to hate on either of these offerings. Why hate on one because you want the other? Does living in mom's basement make someone that upset?

• Like Like x 4
  3. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Not very good at being catty.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i didnt know he was inaccurate when i bought him I stayed away from prerelease info and trailers like i always do,

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Because fans. Because this is the same kind of mindset as soccer hooligans that burn down a town because their team lost. Or won.

I dunno about moms basement, but I'd imagine tying that much passion to a plastic robot toy is reflective of a lot of intrinsic unhappiness in one's life. I love me some Unicron, but not enough to wish misery on others.

• Like Like x 13
  5. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why not get both?
    They're hunks of plastic molded into different shapes.
    I mean at this point I'm inclined to also buy this hunk of plastic for $600, and it doesn't even move.
    [​IMG]
    At the end of the day there's no reason to fight over figures, just buy whatever you like, don't put others down for choosing to buy what they like.
    Their money, their choice.
    Done deal.
    Have a wonderful day!

• Like Like x 16
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Godzilla head is so small!

• Like Like x 4
  7. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    Yup 2019 went with a more realistic head size for something so large.
    He looks tons better than '98 'Zilla.

8. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I don't know, I like how 98' Godzilla looks more. It looks more menacing!

• Like Like x 2
  9. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Perhaps. Those people may have gone back in and not said so, so it's never going to be 100% anyway.

Regardless, using that as a pointer, I'd be surprised if the "Zeta effect" reduced backers by any more than 100. Probably much less. Being generous then, that's 1.25% of the 8k target.

If Hasbro get to 98.75% of the 8k target, and don't commit to make it anyway, then it's Zeta's fault. If they only get to 75% (6k) or even 90% (7200) then it got bugger all to do with Zeta.

I've said it before - If this looked more like the 86 Movie version, I'd live with the kibble. Too much Seige styling and too off on the colours for my tastes (studio lighting or not - I've seen the Con pictures and still think it's too sunstreaker yellow).

I've still not said I definitely won't get it, but I'm now probably at 80/20 against backing it.

• Like Like x 5
  10. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    But 98 Zilla just isn't Godzilla as Toho said "TriStar took the God out of Godzilla."
    Dies to literally 4 missiles lol.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This would not surprise me in the slightest. I’d say there’s an excellent chance it happens. They basically have two options: (A) exactly this or (B) completely ignore the Unicron campaign at the panel (which would be bizarre).

• Like Like x 2
  12. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But this is apparently Hasbro's crown jewel- the $600 behemoth that they say we'll rue the day we passed on. In the brief period when they were advertising it, they promoted it as the ULTIMATE Transformer, with a price point well above most third-party offerings. Then Zeta came along, on what was a normal Tuesday for Zeta, and people are now claiming that it destroyed Hasbro's world. If this is indeed the spectacular be-all-end-all ULTIMATE Transformer, should there even BE this question of comparison?

Those of us who buy both Hasbro and Third-Party transformers recognize different stylizations, paint schemes, sculpting trends, materials, and price points. Some companies use really brittle plastic, some use plastic that's really sturdy. Some go for a metallic gloss, whereas others go for straight paint. For years, we've compared offerings across third parties like Cosmos (I've got like 6 of that guy, because I like Cosmos), or IDW Hot Rod, or whoever. Right now, we've got like three different MP Stunticon teams to choose from! How many Devastators have been made?

We've learned to wait for reviews to learn about paint scraping and joint tolerances and plastic quality, then buy the version that we like best. Hasbro's always been there with relatively inexpensive figures in the main line that form the bulk of our hobby, but when it comes to higher end stuff, we've learned to be selective and do our research to find the styles and quality that fits our budget.

Now, Hasbro has rolled out the most expensive Transformer that they've ever made. It's also the biggest and heaviest Transformer. This project was geared directly at those of us who are used to dropping a lot of money on a single figure because we're collectors, and the third-party market has shown that we're willing to pay $600 for a combiner. They want to play by the rules of the third parties, but get upset when a different figure is offered. That's ROUTINE for third-party companies. Again, we have no fewer than THREE different Stunticon teams to choose from, each of which is competing for the same audience. Each of these companies knows that they have to show off the best of what they can do to make their own best Menasor to get the cash. Hasbro is unaccustomed to this competition, and has apparently cried foul.

If this were two different third parties offering Unicrons, fans would either buy the big Seige figure, or the small G1 figure, and that would be it. There's room in the world for LOTS of different stylizations of Unicron. Make one Shattered Glass, make one Armada, make one BW Neo, knock yourself out. What makes this different is that Hasbro itself touts this as being the SUPREME figure that will ONLY get made if fans LOVE it. Then came the banning of Zetacron, then came Marcelo Matere decrying the #fakefans for not supporting the One True Unicron. If Hasbro wants to play by THOSE rules, then this indeed should be THE figure to please all 7 billion people on the planet. But that's not possible. You can't please everyone. That's why different versions exist, so that each person finds the right one to suit THEM.

Hasbro screwed up from the beginning by making this a crowdfunding thing. They should have just announced it would be out in two years, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Now there's fighting about "Your choice is taking away from my Unicron!" or "Your company is banning my Unicron!" Just be a damn toy company, make what you make, and let the audience decide.

Hasbro could make 8,000 of these things, sell them on Pulse for the next two years or so, and make a profit. Zeta can make around 1500 of their version, sell them in online stores, and make a profit. MMC, Fans Project, Fans Toys, and even Impossible Toys could make a version, and try to sell them. Everybody gets a Unicron they like, every company gets to make money, everyone wins.

Hasbro is the one being needlessly divisive by making this all-or-nothing, fighting to ensure only ONE option, and arguing that we should all like it.

• Like Like x 12
  13. goldenboy1on1

goldenboy1on1 Well-Known Member

not concerned or talking about other figures and their 3rd party comparisons. talking only about unicron, something i am invested in.

well the day that this unicron is officially in people's hands and a 3rd party unicron that is a direct comparison to this (not smaller, weighs less, etc) actually exists and is in people's hands, then there is a conversation to have! my one and only point all along here. until then, there really isn't a comparison.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Redog75

Redog75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well said! I wanna like this post a bunch of times. It is cool if people like this version of Unicron. It is also okay if people don't like it. What isn't cool is the people spewing negativity, hoping it will fail, and bitching because it isn't something they want. Let those who want it be happy. Geesh.

• Like Like x 9
  15. goldenboy1on1

goldenboy1on1 Well-Known Member

can't like this enough.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CannibalChow

News Credits:
    Yup and Godzilla is the best example for just letting people like whichever they like.
    If you like Shin-Goji, Legendary-Goji, '98 Goji, even '67 Goji then it's ok.
    Everyone is different and we can all like the characters and property in out own unique ways.
    We are a group that likes a certain thing, we all have our different takes, no reason to attack or belittle others for seeing a different perspective.
    That's my 2 half-cents on the issue.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Zeta Unicron will be made. Expect a height increase. I look forward to both Unicrons.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe maybe not. I think a lot of this will depend on if the HasLab fails or not. If it fails, I'd expect Hasbro to actively go after any release of Star Core. They're going to blame Zeta and will likely be ticked. And once the lawyers are let loose, it's hard to call them back.

I could really be wrong though. That happens.

It's at 5706 now with 9 days left. I'm not feeling really confident about Unicron's chances.

• Like Like x 2
  19. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    This must be the surge everyone has been talking about

upload_2019-9-27_9-18-57.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  20. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime Autobot and N7 for life

Heck, this just makes me want to back it just for the credit.

"Uh hey babe...'member that Unicron you said I could get? They cancellllllllled. I knowww, right..?

So hey, um...since I have the cash can I get..."

:D 

• Like Like x 5