Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. jojo1982

jojo1982 Active Member

So it’s pay 615 now or wait til 2021 when the ppl are jumping around about receiving their Unicron figure and you didn’t back it up, so you’re stuck on paying $1000 or never have it all.

To me not having this Unicron puts a big hole in the Transformers war of Cybertron collection. It’s a one time thing, so I went ahead and put my 615 for it. I can already see some ppl in here are going to kick themselves in the future for missing out for getting it at 600 bucks

• Like Like x 1
  2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    It happens. I'm still annoyed I didn't buy FT Quietus when he was available. However, I'm still alive and haven't been condemned by the Collector Gods. Pretty sure that in the grand scheme of things the people that "miss out" will have spent $600 on something substantially less ridiculous than a giant plastic devil planet man.

• Like Like x 3
  3. briag45

briag45 Well-Known Member

I'm actually wondering if this will truly be a one time thing. I'm speculating they keep the mold and release it again for the 40th anniversary or some other time around 5-7 years down the road.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Yeah, they made toys while the shows were running, and most of them were awful. Beast Machines toys in particular barely resemble what we see on the screen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You’re about to have thirty people tell you they can’t/won’t do that and then someone will copy and paste the bit in the terms and conditions that says that they can, and then someone else will say “that’s just legal talk! It doesn’t mean they’re going to do it.”

And so the circle of life continues.

• Like Like x 7
  6. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has there been a worthwhile incease in backers since the extension started

• Like Like x 1
  7. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

I think waiting until the last moment to extend the end date pissed people off. It has not moved. I hope the vendors and other regions cover the distance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    A new photo was posted. Hurry and back it! We know how you work Hasbro. You did this last time. Those that are backing it, backed it. And the e-Tailers you muscled into backing behind the scenes backed it. You tried your best now do what you do best, add another extention. #Justice4CookieMonster

• Like Like x 3
  9. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Non-affiliated sites are yet to add their numbers.

• Like Like x 5
  10. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    we know... It was called sarcasm.

by now...you know it's coming. Any day now...the extension is coming.

I can't wait til all the Unicron Drama is finally dead and buried.

then people can finally move on to the next thing to fight over. Oh wait...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

Hasbro said they were doing the extension in part because of feedback that there were people who wanted it but didn’t have enough time to put money away for it. If those people do exist, there is no reason to believe that they would come in until the very end of the campaign.

In retrospect, expecting the Pulse numbers to continue on the pre-extension growth ramp was not realistic. The vast majority of potential backers who weren’t waiting until the last minute were probably already accounted for by the time of the extension (Aug 29), and almost certainly by Aug 31. That’s not to say the extension has been useless —there has been a bit of an increase since the previous deadline (~70 since the morning of Sept 1), but we shouldn’t expect much during this downtime period.

The real action is going to come in the last few days, when we see what affiliates (including Kapow, only made possible by the extension), etailers, and last minute backers bring to the table. I get it, I watch and reload (and post about) that backer count constantly, and it’s fun, but it’s also largely a waste of time at this stage.

• Like Like x 5
  12. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

A lot of physical toys just don't carry the same weight as they did a generation ago (or so). Hasbro may be going the MCU route and have their media - movies, video games, etc - be the billion dollar makers, while having toys "just" be there for decent profit and brand recognition reasons. Toys are still pillars for hasbro, but not as big as it was like when Lucas rolled out the star wars toy line. The 19 pounds here may be the beginning of all toys being relegated to 1 website, pulse, and hasbro moving their name away from "toymaker" to "multimedia conglomerate." Fyi I'm just talking crap during my lunch break so don't take this too seriously or read into this too much.

6000 backers... that's a lot. Hopefully enough to get this Unicron made to mark the last hurrah of my physical toys golden age. So... where's that ps4 death stranding limited edition console?

• Like Like x 3
  13. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Hasbro might do another run for future anniversaries and such, but I think any release of Unicron will always be a crowdfund/made-to-order. Hasbro wouldn't want to risk having a bunch of unwanted Unicrons sitting around.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I dunno. I think Prime and Animated had some of the best, most show-accurate figures of any line, which were the figures the @Deadpool1287 mentioned. Heck, aside from scaling issues, the Animated figs were spot on. Prime did better with scaling, and basically concentrated all it's fail in Airachnid.

I love my Animated collection. The transformations and sturdiness of the figures are some of my favorite and easily rival the best buttery transformations that 3P ever gave me. Prime's figures are also pretty great with great Transformations that only had a few mild QC issues.

Beast Machines is another thing altogether. That show and its figures had all kinds of odd things going on. While it probably does deserve better figures, it's frankly not the biggest draw in the fandom - IIRC it didn't even do that great with the contemporary audience it was meant to address. Not to say that originality or even resurrecting a newer era of Transformers is bad or should be verboten - just that Beast Machines ain't the hill for fighting on. Beast Wars would probably be more apropos.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Its a significant part of franchise history, has its fans, and deserves recognition nonetheless. Beast Wars is at least receiving its own masterpiece line from Takara.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I didn't say it wasn't, or that it didn't. I was more referring to your inference that Prime and Animated's toys were "awful". Everyone's got an opinion, but out of all the toylines we've ever gotten those two shows are generally considered to have some of the best ones.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Very true. I have deluxe-ish sized Jetstorm and he's fantastic. However he looks absolutely nothing like the character in the show. I also used to have Thrust and the original Tankor but sold them years ago once I started getting more Generations figures. Eight years later and I still have no remorse about it. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    The IDW/Beast Machines Tankor is one of my favorite CHUG figures, honestly. He's so goofy and a radical design departure from Starscream #4,552.

He's also proof that while Hasbro will constantly draw from the G1 well, they're willing to toss out a random figure from another era just to test the waters now and again and give even rabid fans the occasional easter egg figure.

You know. Aside from the giant kinder egg everyone claims Haslab's Unicron is.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Redog75

Redog75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I don’t think you’re wrong about Hasbro’s shift. $4-billion in cash for eOne is a pretty big statement. This greatly expands their media presence for TV and movie production and brings them more properties to profit from. Toys don’t sell like they did in the 80s. Their controlling stake in Backflip helps bring in revenues from app games. With eOne they’ll make more on their episodic and cinematic ventures.

Hasbro is targeting a very small and specific clientele with Unicron. I truly hope this project succeeds. If not, the world moves on and, at some point, Haslab will announce another project (presumably for another property). 11 days to go and, yet again, the count sits at exactly 5700. We shall see!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    proceed.png

• Like Like x 3