Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Hasbro did what they did, and folks got their Trypticons (the vast majority at less than retail), but I'll never NOT be salty that Scorponok wasn't made when it made sense for him to be made.

But let me be clear, I'm less mad at fans for "voting the wrong way" than I am at Hasbro for putting Scorponok in that position in the first place.

EDIT: Specifically on-topic to the Unicron thread, it's stuff like this that always makes me frustrated when someone accuses me of being a Hasbro apologist when I don't agree with them about something they think Hasbro's done wrong about this Unicron campaign.

• Like Like x 3
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    At the same token, your son might have felt the same about a giant scorpion being the centerpiece of his room.

• Like Like x 1
  3. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was this supposed to be in blue text?

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was always dinosaurs or bust. He didn't care about any of the Titans released and was starting to lose interest in the line.
    Yeah, I don't think Hasbro should have put it up for a vote either. I'm happy my son got his dream robot, but yeah it shouldn't have been a vote. I felt that way about the power of the primes vote that resulted in Optimus Primal. That could have easily gone a lot of other nonsensical ways.

• Like Like x 1
  5. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

Zeta should do an upgrade kit for Haslab Unicron... and for it to just be the planet shell that condenses into as little kibble as possible....... you know.... because if you cant beat em.. join em.

• Like Like x 2
  6. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No I legit wasn’t being sarcastic - if they can track that (I’m aware that precedent hasn’t been strong for this, averaging very limited orders per day) it’ll succeed. That being said you’re correct to ask :) ...on second read it was ambiguous as to whether I’m being supportive or derisive =) (was trying to be supportive).

• Like Like x 1
  7. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I know I loved getting Trypticon. He's still my favorite of the Titans. And the thing about that vote is that I knew no matter what Hasbro would release all three eventually, so I had no guilt voting for Trypticon over the others.

As for making the crowd fund project a fan vote, though, I don't know what else realistically there is that would get more votes than Unicron. Plus voting is free with no commitment, so I think Hasbro would be better off not having a vote where 10,000 or so people vote for the winning option only to then end up in this situation where they can't actually get anywhere near that many people to back the project.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had bad info, faulty memory, I don't know... I thought I remembered a lot of people saying they would have voted for Scorponok if they'd known he wasn't coming, but I must be confusing that with something else.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great point about Trypticon being more well known than Scorponok. It felt like Trypticon was in nearly half of season 3 episodes but Scorponok only appeared in the one, the very last episode of the American TV show. Since it was an American poll, the big bad guy Dino wins. Scorponok would’ve surely won if the poll was done for the Japanese audience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    a lot of people tried to say after the fact that theyd have voted for star saber had they known the potp leader gimmick ahead of time, but that was pretty well suspected at least by the time of that vote

• Like Like x 2
  11. kidlat2000

kidlat2000 Well-Known Member

I think voting and crowdfunding cant go together. Why? Because an item may get 10k votes but those voters may not all backed the project. So better do only crowdfunding and see whether you really have 10k backers or not. Just like this Unicron, either we will have 8k or it will not see the light of the day.

And I guess we will have 8k+ by the deadline. Maybe 8001 if I managed to snug another one ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  12. DINOBOTT

DINOBOTT Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The $575 price tag has never been too much for me--it is that this Hascron figure never seemed like it was worth $575. If this figure was 36" tall, I would have easily payed MORE.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    Well you have to remember that "a lot of people" aren't always on the boards every day and catch all of the little tidbits, rumors, and teasers that float around, so those "a lot of people" didn't necessarily know what was going on before voting in those polls. And sometimes in hindsight once you know, you wish you could go back and vote for something different. (Personally I'm happy with Tryp and Optimal Optimus, but knowing what I know now, I wish we could go back and have a do over for that fan-vote combiner that became Victorion!)

Maybe, despite being the big bad of Headmasters I don't think Scorponok/Zarak himself isn't the most revered in Japan either. In fact I think Omega Supreme might actually have won that poll if it was just Japanese voters.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Actually. We all knew it would be Titans Returns with headmasters and still voted for Trypticon. I Specifically remember @Kickback yelling at some of us in news staff chat at the time saying "Scorponok is the Titan Headmaster and you're all voting for Trypticon!?" I wanted my robot dinosaur.

• Like Like x 6
  15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm rolling with it was combination of casual fans just going with the guy who has Optimus in his name and Beast Wars fans hoping a vote for Primal meant more Beast Wars characters in Generations. Star Saber just didn't have a chance because only your more hardcore fans even know who he is, let alone his gimmick. Even if many of them showed up (and I think they did), we simply weren't numerous enough to overcome the vote for Optimus and Beast Wars. But I still think Star Saber - and Dezarus - are very much on Hasbro's mind. They're just looking for a place where they fit the best. If we end up moving back into the Titans Return gimmick next year, then both are probably high on their list of figures to make.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    Exactly. It's easy to get 8,000 people to say that a giant Unicron would be cool. It's another thing to actually get those same 8,000 people to spend almost $600 for one.

Yes, but in reality if they did come out with that larger figure and charged say $1000 there will still be people who look at it and not see the value. That's almost a given. But funding this version is still going to show Hasbro what the fandom sees as value for that price and what we as a group are feasibly willing to spend. (Which is often but shouldn't be confused just with what the average fan can or can't afford. Almost everyone here can afford $600, but not everyone is going to see the same things as worth that kind of money, which is also good research for Hasbro for figuring out what a lot of this fandom thinks.)

Basically if Hasbro finds that they can't sell 8000 27 inch tall Unicrons at $575, then that's certainly good data to have if they do decide to maybe do a future 36 inch tall figure that costs even more.

Both Star Saber and Deathsaurus are coming someday, it just wasn't meant to be for PotP. Which is fine, and like Apeface they might find their way into a future Generations release no matter what the theme.

• Like Like x 3
  17. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    That "eventually" argument (also for your more recent comment re: Star Saber and Deathsaurus) wears extremely thin. It's true that, if time is allowed to stretch on infinitely, all things are not only possible, but even probable. But how long should "eventually" be before I'm allowed to say "not good enough"? It's been four years, already. More than half the entire lifespan of the original G1 toyline. Scorponok still hasn't happened yet. The odds are extremely good that by the time it does, the aesthetic won't be comparable to the TR toys (Siege Apeface, himself, became a "pass" for me when I discovered just how awful the battle-damage was on that toy).

There was a time and place it should have happened. It didn't. That moment has passed, and the possibility of some future moment doesn't change that.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Trypticon came out in 2017, it’s been 2 years since we didn’t get scorponok, not 4

• Like Like x 4
  19. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Honest question. Did you mean "Power of the Primes gimmick" when you said "Titans Return gimmick"?

• Like Like x 1
  20. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I was going by the vote, but fine, since Scorponok (even if he had won) wouldn't have been out until then.

Seems longer mostly because we've had all of PotP (admittedly a short line) and Siege is almost over, all since then.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.