Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Apparently "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Eh, what they could do is offer like a $75-100 off coupon for Hasbro Pulse items. Sure they might lose a bit of money but I guarantee you'd have people still sitting on it years later unused. However it would look like they were at least trying.
    Or if they really wanted to offer something completely useless, give all backers 2yrs of Pulse Premium for free. :D 

• Like Like x 6
  2. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TBH they should send us a free metroplex and trypticon with that price tag.

• Like Like x 3
  3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus A Prime a day keeps the doctor away

News Credits:
    You can discuss, but at least get your facts straight. Reading your reply makes me wonder whose feelings are hurt right now...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

I’m more than fine with a $600 price tag.

The largest transformer of all time. All time! 19lbs pounds, without the stand. That’s 3x the mass of a proper titan figure, >4x the mass of the “competition” (despite reportedly only costing ~2x as much). Over 27 inches tall in robot mode (almost 10 inches taller than other little guy). 30 inches ring-to-ring in diameter for planet mode. That’s two and a half feet long!

A beautiful, near perfect planet design. Stylization of the rings aside, this thing looks like it flew off the screen. An articulated lensing maw feature, incredibly accurate (both open and closed) to the feeding of Lithone. No need for partsforming, this thing can look like (and function!) like the source material on its own.

A massive, imposing and accurate robot mode. Transformation actually inspired by the movie (blue/gray shells recede, arms transform out of the planet back and end up facing the planet/robot front). Kibble from the planet shells and lensing maw largely confined to the back of the robot. 50 points of articulation, ability to be posed without a stand (though a 10-lb one is included for safety / increased stability and optimal presentation of the planet). Articulated eyes, mouth and even teeth. Removable head with battle damaged face to recreate Cybertron’s new satellite. Even options for different chins to satisfy the people who care about that.

This thing is a labor of love, and it shows. It’s epic! It’s not just another figure, it’s the ultimate representation of the biggest bad guy, and the biggest figure to boot. I think the price point more than makes sense when compared to anything that’s come before it. It’s 30 lbs of toy being shipped for free, and it’s an incredible toy!

• Like Like x 15
  5. Zaragon

Zaragon Member

Ebay:
    I don't think it was particularly smart of Zeta, a third-party manufacturer operating in a very legal grey area, to release their figure at the same time that Hasbro is trying to crowdsource their own version. They may be in China, but it's not impossible to get Chinese companies shut down if enough pressure is brought to bear, and I doubt a company like Zeta could outlast Hasbro's legal and financial resources for very long, regardless of the actual merits of the case.

Whether or not Hasbro will is a different question. Thus far, they haven't, and Zeta is obviously gambling that they won't. If Hasbro feels like Zeta cost them $3 million to $4 million in gross revenue, that equation might change, and it might change fast. It's hard to say--that much revenue isn't much compared to their 2018 net revenue of $4.58 billion, but it's enough money that you could actually see the failure of this campaign in a number that big, which would make me nervous if I was them.

I personally wish they hadn't done it either. Not only because I still hope to back HasLab's Unicron, but because I also really don't want Hasbro to drop the hammer on third parties. I'm not a huge collector of 3P stuff, but I do have a few 3P figures and a lot of 3P accessories/upgrades for official figures, and I'd prefer that not end because Zeta fired a shot across Hasbro's bow they decide can't be ignored.

Honestly, Zeta could have just waited until after the crowdfunding was complete and then released their own figure; they would still have had it out before HasLab's, without anyone being able to make the argument that they cannibalized sales, since HasLab's would no longer be available for purchase. That they didn't implies heavily that they either wanted to take some of the sales away from Hasbro, or (and I admit, this is a stretch, and possibly involves some mustache-twirling) they wanted to crater the crowdfunding campaign entirely and pick up a large fraction of the disappointed backers who couldn't get Hasbro's.

It doesn't change my opinion--if HasLab's Unicron fails, I won't be buying Zeta's; I already have the Platinum reissue of the Armada mold and don't need another Unicron that's smaller than Fortress Maximus. The main attraction of HasLab's Unicron for me is the planet mode and the fact that it's actually bigger than the Titans I have already; Zeta doesn't check either of those boxes off, and so I won't be purchasing theirs regardless of the outcome of the crowdfunding campaign.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    • Like Like x 9
  6. CannibalChow

CannibalChow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A posing and articulation showcase video would be nice. :v

• Like Like x 7
  7. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Sometimes being fair and calling it down the middle will just make you the enemy of all. Or at least just on message boards where everyone tends to fall too often into extremes.

Anyway, it's like almost page 700, the backer count may not be moving very fast but this thread definitely will keep going and going and going...

• Like Like x 6
  8. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    My feelings aren’t hurt. I don’t get upset when some random internet stranger claims that I’m trolling. I apologize for my comment about the mini figure. My point still stands. If someone says anything negative about this figure, the folks who plan to support or are supporting it get upset. Someone legit made an appreciation thread because they were apparently tired of the “negativity” in this thread.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    I know people want to see Zeta as making an attack on HasLab, but the truth is their figure has been in development for some time, HasLab announcing a Unicron at the same time was a bit of an unfortunate coincidence. And I think from Zeta's POV, it's too late to put plans on hold now, it's far too big of a project to delay, and it would certainly be better for them to reveal their figure now before they lose even more potential customers and sales to Hasbro.

• Like Like x 4
  10. jmandawg

jmandawg Well-Known Member

so what's the record for the longest thread on TFW?

• Like Like x 1
  11. LateNights

LateNights Active Member

As someone pointed out earlier, when asked directly about the issue of 3P toys, the folks from Hasbro chose to ignore the question and asked that it be overlooked by the fans - otherwise they'd be forced to take action.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Zaragon

Zaragon Member

Ebay:
    I don't honestly think they're making an attack on Hasbro. I do think that perhaps they might be getting either a bit greedy or a bit overconfident (or possibly desperate, I don't know what their finances look like, unlike Hasbro's). I just think that when you're in the situation they're in, they probably should avoid getting the 800lb gorilla's attention. It doesn't matter who's in the right, and what the reasoning is--if the 800lb gorilla thinks you are trying to take his food, it will go badly, and not for the gorilla.

Edit: Also, I think I might not have made my original post clear--I don't think Zeta needed to wait until HasLab's Unicron was released, just until the end of the crowdfunding campaign.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:46 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

Yes but some of us are so adamant that if Unicron does not get funded that Hasbro will crush 3rd party companies.

My point is that maybe for Hasbro, the cost of pursuing those little Chinese companies isn’t worth it, that our fandom isn’t that strong or large as we’d like to think. It’s more beneficial to just move on to the next Transformers line.

That line was just about all the hyperbole.

• Like Like x 4
  14. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lots of awesome comments. Lots of good insights. This thread usually has a lot of nonsense.

I wonder if Hasbro got greedy after the Star Wars Sail Barge, I think with that it was supposed to be 5000 and it went to 8000 and then they thought this would be the same. I'm surprised its not but I don't know perhaps someone in their office decided to take a risk and now it's backfired. Zeta did a good job on their stuff for sure

The QC is that bad?. Is the QC as bad as the first Rodimus

I don't understand how a big corporation could not make their figure as clean. It's so much more money also. It would be interesting to discover the thought process for each version

So true, they did say we wanted an extension, I guess they didn't hear the payment plan part. If there was a non-refundable deposit of 100 bucks would people still drop out?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Zaragon

Zaragon Member

Ebay:
    I don't think they'll crush all of them, that's way too much work for Hasbro, even assuming they could do it. But they could, and might, make an example of Zeta pour encourager les autres.

• Like Like x 3
  16. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    I doubt that's what their lawyers and higher ups are saying internally. It most likely comes down to being too much hassle for too little gain. In the end, though, there has never been a solid, definitive example of any 3P project ever hurting Hasbro's bottom line in a way that would make the hassle worth it.

So I guess is the big dog really still "being fucked" if they don't even feel it?

Well their finances are certain unlike Hasbro's. I guarantee that they can't take on a project like this and not see it through til the end (a fact all 3P shares and a reason why so many companies have come and gone or been one and done).

I wouldn't worry about the gorilla, though, he's been paying attention more than he let's on. As of now, Zeta is still just eating the crumbs, and I don't think Core Star is going to change that. (And I also don't think the major problems facing the HasLab project are any different now than they were before Zeta revealed their figure).

• Like Like x 2
  17. Zaragon

Zaragon Member

Ebay:
    I don't think that's strictly true. Several people in this very thread said they were cancelling their backing and going with Zeta after the most recent reveals. Is it enough to matter? I don't know, I can only guess, and your guess is as good as mine. But it does seem to be a new problem HasLab Unicron is facing that it wasn't facing before.

• Like Like x 2
  18. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

After reading some of the comments in the thread tonight, I googled China IP theft. Headline 1:5 companies victim to China IP theft. Now before, I get crucified for over simplifying the KO vs 3P argument.....I know, I know...don't care....not my point.
    I'm simply stating that the issue is sooo rampant, that I don't think Hasbro can do anything about Zeta. Whether their beef is legitimate or not is one issue, but whether they have teeth to sink into the beef is another.
    Not to make this into a political discussion but its one of the reasons there is a trade war occurring with the US.

On another topic, damn Unicron going backwards is not a good look. Even with it being in single digits. Today was 9/11 and not a good day to do a promotion. But I recommend that towards the beginning of the weekend, Hasbro give us something to talk about.

• Like Like x 5
  19. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Like a gnat biting a steer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. LateNights

LateNights Active Member

Can't say I can honestly answer what they're thinking, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt - the evidence would be there if they were actually making legal moves.

• Like Like x 1