Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how much involvement Hasbro has with the MP line but I know it's mainly a Takara product (it's even marketed as such on Pulse). Since Unicron is a Hasbro endeavor, it will most likely have similar QC to the Siege line. I haven't had too many problems with Siege so I have high hopes for the QC. I have asked multiple times about the QC on the Barge as it was suggested once that the added cost to the price was including a much more thorough QC inspection, but while it's a nice thought, it's all just guesswork at this point. If anyone has the Barge, could you chime in with any problems you had with it? I know the Barge and Unicron are wholly different beasts, but it'd be nice to have a baseline.

But anyway, I'm disappointed you're not funding this figure but I understand your concerns. It's a lot of money to ask for with no assurances that they'll up their QC game. If this project succeeds, I'll be enjoying my Unicron, no matter what QC problems it has. Can't wait!

• Like Like x 2
  2. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ugh. I can't look at that without feeling pure regret. Really wanted one but I put it off for a bit too long and then they were all gone..

• Like Like x 2
  4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Make the Planet shell be an integrated part of the robot)(like Zeta's Unicron) and they will hit their goal in a week!

• Like Like x 2
  5. jmandawg

jmandawg Well-Known Member

LOL, this is hilarious

• Like Like x 1
  6. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grand Slam

Grand Slam "The sounds of war are history speaking." TFW2005 Supporter

Thank God, since that means it's free of Disney taint.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Professional Casual

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    ...well, now I got "free of Disney taint" in my brain for the day

• Like Like x 2
  9. jmandawg

So i wonder where the break even point is with hasbro.
    If they don't produce unicron they lose money, at some point they break even, probably (guessing) 2000 units. Anything above 2000 is mostly profit minus shipping/plastic/packaging/etc.

They should cut the price but I can guarantee they won't. currently they can sell:

6667 units @ $600 and it's $4 million
    8000 units @ $500 and it's $4 million
    10000 units @ $400 and it's $4 million

They will lose more money on shipping/plastic/packaging/etc by lowering the price even if it means doubling the number of orders. IMO the price is really outrageous.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    Whether someone is unaware of the aspects involved with the situation or not, there are proactive ways to educate people the information to others so they can comprehend the information in a more positive light. How words are constructed and utilized can yield more desirable results and help continue the fandom to function as a community.

Regarding Takara Tomy, it is actually two words.

Here is hoping that Unicron does through because as you stated before, you backed it and so did I. So I wish everyone the best for this go through.

• Like Like x 16
  11. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Unfortunately, this can be only liked once per person. Should be a locked post in every controversial topic on the board.

"Free of Disney Taint" would be an excellent name for a rock band.

• Like Like x 5
  12. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ... i’m pretty sure unicron already is a $400 figure priced at $500; hasbro just bundled $75 shipping into the asking price...

• Like Like x 3
  13. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Unfortunately that's now how it works. This assumes an unqualified demand for every figure. Assume that the demand is only 6000 units. That means a lost profit AND lost money on the full production cost on every unit produced after 6000 units. Wantonly printing robots doesn't equal money. At a certain point, it's a serious loss that ends up eclipsing whatever profit you did make on the actual units sold at full boat.

All those Trypticons that got bargain binned is a stark example of that.

Edit: Removed @myrrh's post from the quote. 'Twas an accident.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Apparently "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    True. As I've said before I believe that Warden and Co believed Uni would be almost fully backed within weeks of showing him off and never envisioned that anything extra would be needed. Unfortunately nearly everything that they have done since around the beginning of August appears to be them playing catch-up to the fact that the campaign wasn't where they thought it would be. They themselves admitted that the removable head and chin variations were things that were added due to fan reaction (presumably after Unicron's unveiling). Numerous people on the boards here and likely elsewhere had also been suggesting some sort of mini-Galvatron as a bonus, and low and behold guess what shows up--in the form of a hastily 3D printed slug.
    It's been now almost 2 weeks since the announcement of the extension and we have heard zero from them--unless you count the weird My Little Pony Instagram comparison. My guess is that they are either a) desperately throwing something together in order to try and wow the fence sitters in the final week of the campaign or b) simply resting on their laurels hoping that the extra month will bring them just enough additional orders to punch through the 8k ceiling.

I'd love to be proven wrong by the way. I'd love to see them tomorrow come out and announce some kick-ass extras like a hardback bound instruction booklet--complete with a printed history of the current and previously planned Unicron toys, mini-ships (which I personally would love as I also collect sci-fi spaceships), a poster or t-shirt, or even a pledge to issue special periodic updates just for backers. Heck I'd even welcome a line in the fine print that gives "thanks to all the backers and everyone who has shown interest in the project, except for that asshat Translucent Bag, who can go f- himself for doubting us."

Side note: I will only be posting the graph periodically until we get closer to the deadline, unless something extraordinary happens. No need to clutter everything up here even more with information that basically just repeats itself.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I think this is mostly accurate. I really think that they believed that they were giving fans the holy grail, which would be fully backed in a week.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Well said.

• Like Like x 3
  17. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Actually, no, there's been several versions of the name
    • Takara Tomy
    • Takara-Tomy
    • TakaraTomy
    Even the TF wiki still shows the name merged without hyphenation: TakaraTomy - Transformers Wiki

I know I've seen each of these in use on various packaging and other official documents. I just chalked it up to not have an official English corporate style guide, since Japanese>English is rarely so clear cut.

Not something I really cared about ... but since you brought it up. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How is it hilarious?

• Like Like x 1
  19. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Mustachelle

News Credits:
    Where's the idea that Hasbro is losing money of Unicron isn't produced? What do you think the crowdfund is for?

Toys get planned and proto'd and then shelved/denied/cancelled etc. all the time. They wouldn't be losing any money not it doesn't get backed, besides normal operations cost.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    Confirmed at the Tokyo Toy Show since I asked about their history. Living in Japan for the past 5 years, learned a lot about the culture.

Back on topic, it looks like 2 more backers were added. So that helps.

• Like Like x 8
  21. jmandawg

I thought his response was sarcasm, this thead has only mentioned the zeta Unicron like a million times. I assumed posting the video again was like beating a dead horse.

ie, how could you be in this thread and not know this?:

• Like Like x 2