Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. C16

C16 Space Nomad

I'll buy the one I like best, regardless of who makes it. That's the only thing that matters. (I prefer Hasbro on this one though)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'm with you on the colors. I'm not totally against the prototype, but if they just matched the color on their own control art I'd be THRILLED.

colors.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  3. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Agreed. The yellow is off, and that does bug me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All of the Siege toys I have have been amazing quality wise. I always roll my eyes so hard whenever people come up with this "problem". Look at G1 toys. They too have "cheap hollow plastic", you just never see it because for example, you cannot separate and move the legs of Prowl or Sideswipe, since they have no hip or knee joints! Also, ever looked at the thighs or arms of G1 Optimus from the inside? Ever transformed Powermaster Prime to base mode and seen the inside of his legs? Gasp! They are cheap hollow plastic! Y'know why? 'Cause plastic isn't cheap, and filling out holes or covering them with panels you have to screw in? Costs money! Money that would raise costs and selling price of the toy! Takara can afford to cover everything with hundreds of panels because then they sell the resulting toy at 450$ like MP OP v3.0.
    But you are worrying about nothing, anyway. We saw a 360 degree rotation of Unicron in both modes, and a transformation video. The only hollow parts are his fingers and wings, since they are too small to be covered by extra panels. I saw no hollow elements on the arms, legs or body. Even the back of the feet that gets covered by the planet shell parts is not open but sealed with a featureless panel.

• Like Like x 9
  5. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Another thing that's off is the maw. The teeth are way too thin, they're much wider and when closed, make a full circle. The ones on the toy are thin and have spaces between them. I kind of feel like that front end fully opening like it does in the movie is iconic, and the toy only manages to pull off these thin teeth and doesn't look right. Small complaint, but it's there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Well-Known Member

Yeah I think that's more to do with engineering requirements around manufacturing tolerances than artistic choice though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Yeah, it's probably due to the automorphing mouth opening.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, this, so much.
    It is like the tiny Dr Arkeville for Starscream or Kremzeek for Megatron.

It's called Chin Logic! And Hasbro knows it is a good plan. Worked for Transformers Animated, after all! ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Complaints about "cheap hollow plastic" are actually a combination of two issues that get conflated into one.

The first is that Hasbro often opts to use on three sided piece instead of two three sided pieces screwed together as a way to cost cut. A lot of people think it looks ugly. I get that. But usually it's on the inner sides or facing the back. Personally, I can live with it but I understand the issue.

The second is that Hasbro seems to be using thinner plastic in places. That's fine until the parts begin to form stress cracks from normal use within minutes of opening the toy up from the packaging. The fact that there are stress marks around the plastic where warrior-class Cyberverse Slipstream's backpack clips on is inexcusable. Normally, it's not a problem but there are a handful of cases where it is.

So, in the end, it comes down to verbage. "CHPs" is a TV show, not a Transformers complaint. But exposed hollow points and cheap plastic are complaints. They are just two separate issues being conflated into one mythical complaint.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Can't stop liking.
    Well, I can't actually like it, because I can't find the original post. But if I would I would be pressing that like button like mad.
    MP Bluestreak also came with a little tin emblem I have no use for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not refuting the overall sentiment, but plastic itself is very cheap. Raw ABS plastic can be purchased at like, $50 per metric ton.

It's creating the tools to mold it that's expensive. The more parts you need, the more molds you potentially require, and the costs can balloon rapidly if you aren't economical with your parts count.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Zeta isn’t a knock off Unicron. It’s one done by a third party. I grew up with Gobots and Transformers, loved them both. I’m game for each unless Zetas hiding something from everyone with theirs. But maybe they aren’t. I’ve always been cautionary with them because they were toyworlds designers, and I felt they were always a day late and a dollar short on their designs but now I just realized they weren’t getting paid which now has me looking at them differently. I welcome both lords of chaos.

• Like Like x 2
  13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I think he means "IP knocked off" - which it is (along with any and every other unlicensed "not-Transformer-but-looks-exactly-like-one" figure out there). And yeah, it's a bit brazen that Zeta Toys is doing this right now, no matter how it's spun.

• Like Like x 2
  14. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well, Zeta's clearly been working on this for awhile, given they're aiming for a December release. Bad luck that Hasbro had the same idea, really.

I wouldn't call it a knockoff but I WOULD say it's unambiguously IP infringing. But I'm not one to judge given how much 3P I own.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    You know, if you have to explain what your acronym means every time you use it, it will never catch on.

• Like Like x 11
  16. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    You are right, Zeta and other 3rd party companies are not knock offs (mostly). They do however steal the intellectual property because they are making figures based on characters that Hasbro owns even though they change the names and put no faction symbols on the toys. This doesnt bother me at all cause Hasbro isnt doing anything about it so why should I worry about it. That being said, it does seem to get quite a few people upset and then they throw around the term knock off.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Crazy like the Fox

Not to mention that exact acronym is already used for the "Chips" - California Highway Patrol.

• Like Like x 4
  18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As an aside, I feel the same way about "CHUG". "Generations" is fine at this point.

• Like Like x 10
  19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    That's not EXACTLY true. They are quite abrasive about it, actually, going as far as shutting down third party toys being sold openly at official conventions like Botcon (which caused many to flock to TFCon, where third party toys are welcomed). But litigating every Chinese IP theft company would be exhaustive and not very financially sound - so Hasbro basically just lives with it. But I guarantee you that, if they could take down every single third party company and not be left with having to deal with foreign courts (and the cost thereof), they would.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Redog75

Redog75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I was wandering around TFWiki and looked up CHUG.

"If we were to be pedantic, the complete terminology should be "CHUGRtSUT30LCWUWTRPotPS" but, since it doesn't roll off the tongue all that well, distinctive sublines of Generations series are often just contained within the term."

So...for this project I'm going with CHUGRtSUT30LCWUWTRPotPS War for Cybertron: Unicron, the Chaos Bringer and Destroyer of Worlds, creation of The One, brother of Primus a the formal name.

• Like Like x 4