Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    This is a toy you should buy and enjoy if you can afford it. That’s what hobbies are for. Buying stuff that makes you happy for a finite time.

It’s not the time to sound self-righteous and pat yourself in the back because you’ve worked harder than your peers. Has anybody in here even said they’re cancelling their family vacation to buy this toy or something? Sounds rather silly to look back in 10 years and think, “gee, we could’ve squeezed in a family trip for a weekend if I hadn’t bought that Unicron toy. Sorry kids”.

• Like Like x 5
  2. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I mean this is kind of a question of what you want out of your collection.

For my part, I don't view my toy collection as an investment. Don't get me wrong, I've sold plenty of "collectables" on Ebay... hell I'm making a killing on Magic the Gathering dual lands the past month that I didn't even know were worth anything... that subsidize my hobby. But for actual investments I have... well.... investments. If I make some money off selling this stuff now and then, that's a nice bonus.

The collection is mostly about making me happy. I work hard and have a lot of responsibilities. A lot of my work involves other people and me explaining or telling them what to do. This hobby though, I don't have to explain anything. This hobby is entirely egocentric. It's an avenue to release stress and a healthy way for me to put aside the things that really and actually matter a little bit every day. It is the true essence of escapism.

That's what Transformers are to me. And that's why I'm already scheming as to what shelf I'm going to buy or build to display Unicron... something that's not going to happen for a year and a half.

And I think that's the most important question people need to ask before they drop $575 on anything. "What are Transformers to you". I think if I were in this hobby to flip toys and make money... I would have exited a long time ago and flipped stocks to make far more money. But I do also think the conditions under which Unicron will be released means that this toy will accumulate in value a lot more than say, TR Powermaster Optimus Prime will. In 10 years you'll probably be able to buy a loose one of those for only a slight premium over MSRP. Probably far less if Hasbro revisits the Powermasters concept and does one that isn't really a titanmaster. But something like Unicron? Hasbro will never do him anywhere close to this ever again.

I mean really, after making this do people really expect them to play to the G1 fanbase again and release Unicron at Commander or Supreme scale in the next few years? They're not going to do it. They'll be done with the character in that iteration. If they do Unicron, it'll be a Cyberverse style reinvention.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I meant in terms of Takara manufacturing their own separate Unicron. There is some belief that Takara will make their own, regardless of the Haslab campaign. I’ve seen some comments where people think if Haslab fails, they’ll just import the Takara version. There won’t be a Takara version.

• Like Like x 8
  4. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    That's still incorrect.

Without 8000 global backers, the steel molds needed for injection molding and so forth won't get made. That's why Hasbro's asking for the money up front. The $4.6 million they will take in on 8/31 will directly go to winding up the production of it.

Takara very simply will not drop whatever share of $4.6 million is production costs, into cutting their own steel molds and standing up their own logistics for this massive toy, without first having assurances they'll make that money back. That'd be an insane business decision.

• Like Like x 3
  5. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It’s looking like Cookie Monster is doomed. There was an uptick from yesterday to today, but it’s at 572 out of 3000 with 15 hours to go. Yesterday it was at 300.

I think Unicron is looking more likely. Do we know of the other order venues are in yet? If BBTS and others aren’t in I’d say it’ll make it with the final uptick you get at the end. If they are in I’m doubtful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    Also made this to drive the point home for anyone on the fence.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. GGGG00

GGGG00 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is highly unlikely that Takara will go on its own to manufacture this unless they can hit the 8000 themselves. They have shown that they have no hesitation to kill off a project if it's not profitable. If they can stopped producing a small titan master shell for LG Grand Max simply because the preorders did not meet the min. no. let alone a huge product like this. Also there's the Beast Wars Unicron which was designed and prototyped but never released.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

Uhh, its Hasbro that are making this hard to buy. Excluding most of the world was a massive mistake. We have no idea if international store orders are contributing to the backer total. Also, they should have considered a payment plan rather than asking for $600 with just a month and a half to get money set aside.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    And the price in Japan is still 75,000 Yen, so in that way, it’s actually more. If my collection doesn’t have Unicron, I’ll survive. I do remember watching the movie with my big brother and it was awesome. I was more attached to the rest of the cast than Unicron. I’ve still got a few days to think about it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rookbartley

Rookbartley Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That’s not actually incorrect. I’m not quite sure what you’re saying is wrong. There is no separate Takara Unicron. Yes, 8000 global backers are needed. My point is, if we don’t get the 8000, no one gets a Unicron. Doesn’t matter what part of the world. Takara is not going to still produce one if the Hasbro Pulse counter isn’t at 8000 next week.

Comments seems to be “If Haslab fails, I’ll just buy the Takara one.” Or “I Hope the Takara one is successful” That’s inaccurate as there is no Takara one. You can preorder through Takara Tomy Mall and get in on the global crowdfund but that’s it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    It's a good question, one I'll be pondering. I do think I prefer the small bots, under a foot.
    Magic cards? I just found my box or cards from 95/96. Hmm...
    Same here, TF/toys are not an investment, they're made to have fun. Not MIB/MOC, either.
    Stocks/bonds/funds are investments.
    I'm just not sure this huge Unicron will make me happy. Or rather, the opposite effect, where I dislike it.

That's not a fact verified by anybody. And unlikely, given money goes to shipping, profit, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  12. StrifeZ

Ebay:
    Yes this is correct. Although the Takara Tomy Mall number is not going into the Haslab number. So the "real" number right now is the 3000 in Haslab, plus whatever is in Takara Tomy Mall, and other official partners.

Between all of those, and preorders from online retails (i.e. like BBTS) that haven't been put in yet, Unicron is probably already over the virtual 8000 line.

Revised and earlier is worth a lot of money. I played when in Middle School in 1994 for like 3 months, then put the cards away in a box for 25 years. Opened it and found a gold mine.

I just sold a mint "Underground Sea" for $700. A stinking game from 1994 that I haven't played since I was 12 is financing the next round of Transformers buying. And I have all the dual lands and some duplicates. It comes out to like $3000.

I'd check them out. They're probably worth something.

That's why I said "whatever share of the $4.6 million is production costs."

Production costs aren't $4.6 million. It's a (big) portion of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator

News Credits:
    I’m on the same boat. Regardless if it is the only one in this capacity that’s been made, I would not know if I would be happy with it, either. Other figures I have bought I knew I would like. This one doesn’t fall in that category.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fake

fake Return to Innocence

This is so exciting, I was saying I would start worrying if it didnt get to 3000 before Sunday. Now its broken that barrier, so pretty sure this is getting made.

I think I am also getting it for free, since the guy that bet it wont cross the halfway mark is going to buy it for me...:lolol 

• Like Like x 7
  15. AutoconDeceptibot

AutoconDeceptibot Well-Known Member

Unicron: 'They can not.....destroy.......my.........'

Hasbro: 'Yeah we can, with a restrictive marketing campaign!'

Unicron: 'Your bargaining posture is highly dubious, but very well!'

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
  16. SuperTitanHans

SuperTitanHans Upgraded

News Credits:
    Totally fascinated to see if Hasbro issues any kind of statement or response if/when Cookie Monster doesn’t make it.

• Like Like x 7
  17. TAAO

TAAO Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea. This might be a dumb question, but anyone know why Cookie Monster is not up for preorder on BBTS like Unicron is. That's one of the few sites that carry more than just Transformers, and without the availability, many might not even realize it's a thing.
    When Hasbro Toy Shop was closing, they promoted the hell out of it, but aside from collectors, many don't even realize that the Pulse is a thing. My wife and I have 5 kids, so we know a lot of their friends' parents, and everyone of them knew that Hasbro Toy Shop closed, but most didn't know that it was rebranded into the Pulse. Even Ebay still lists it as Hasbro Toy Shop, not the Pulse.
    I'm just trying to say that I think Hasbro needs to be a bit more proactive in their promotion of their products if they really want to get the word out on their offerings.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

I wonder if part of it is just the lack of interest. I mean, if you were a retailer, I imagine you'd ignore something with only 500 (I think) backers pretty well in, since it does take some labor to make those listings.

Also, I think the people talking about a Takara Unicron are talking about one of two things and might be mixing them up:
    -Takara will release this mold without Hasbro (which will simply not happen, this funding is to cover costs and they would never want to swallow that on their own)
    -Takara will make a Unicron toy, which I can kind of see happening. I mean, we've had stranger original molds from them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

Just to be cautiously optimistic I’m putting BBTS, TFsource, Robot kingdom all total at a 1000. And I have a hard time believing that.

I’m pushing for a 1500+ spike by the affiliates
    And a 1500+ spike by the US to be bare bones

I’m going to revise my earlier projections which I don’t remember and are lost in the thread and say this projects 8978.
    I feel like I’m on the price is right

• Like Like x 5
  20. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Gotcha. I confess I haven’t looked too hard at all the order pages, I just didn’t recall seeing a hard stop date in my research.

• Like Like x 2