Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Aye but one could also say

Gonna be honest the number of people doing that may be much higher than you think.

:) 

• Like Like x 9
  2. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wont say no if you would like to buy me one. It is no doubt a great looking unicron there is just no way in hell I can justify spending that

• Like Like x 2
  3. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    20190825_002641.jpg

Yesterday @Ninjak suggested Unicron should come with coloured rice to be in-scale Autobots & Decepticons.

I don't think there's a grain of truth in it. :p 

~L~

• Like Like x 17
  4. Master Farr

Master Farr Banned

Hey I don’t know if this is true or not but I’m just gonna make the call that even if this doesn’t reach 8,000 backers (especially given the insane amount of hype towards something that depends on whether or not people want to take out a second mortgage on their house), they’re still gonna make it anyway, I know it’s kinda crazy to say that but given all the hype surrounding this like shirts, several videos about it, a couple of QnAs involving the figure and the fact that we’ve seen the actual transformation for the figure itself, the possibility of them making this figure regardless of whether or not they reach the backer quota becomes more and more apparent as time goes by. But maybe that’s just me being stupid, what do you guys think?

• Like Like x 2
  5. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

Lol, I'm not sure I can justify paying what I did either! But here I am, hoping it gets made, hoping a dream comes true. And I'm perfectly content with putting money down on this crowdfund... not sure my wife sees it the same way, lol!

• Like Like x 1
  6. foobot333

Hmm, I think they were pretty clear in the 6 min video that it's a no go if this fails.

Also their communication and marketing to the fans has been terrible. All we get is 6 minute video on questions they've already answered... with a week to go? Their message is unfocused, lackluster and half assed right now, which is a shame because the actual project is worthy of the name Unicron. With a weak marketing effort, personally I think they've left the internet and us forums to our own devices, and last I checked that's a bad idea.

• Like Like x 3
  7. johndoe4880

johndoe4880 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think people would have gone for it more if they Reduce the price and put lights and sounds in it Sounds Meaning a voice sound so he can have either orson wells or john noble (from tf prime) talk and say lines from the movie or tf prime. Keep the head coming offing gimic and when it does come off have it say you can\'t distory my destiny!!!!. or something else. i really don\'t think people are going to really go for it at all. For me its the 500 dollars. and even some places have it for 700 dollars. that was a turn off for me. was the 500 dollars

• Like Like x 2
  8. foobot333

Unfortunately, the Unicron project is not for everyone. It's such a crazy thing to see it this close to reality, I still have no doubt that it's well worth the money, but that just me. Seeing it in person made me very confident that I want to support it. I mean, just look at it... how the hell is this even a thing??? 20190717_193542.jpg 20190717_193622.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  9. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I still find it hilarious that people are buying MP-44 when he costs almost as much and is a mainstream MP figure that will be overly saturated everywhere. meanwhile you have a 19 lb. 27" monster that is a one and done project.

People are in such a huge rush to be the first to own MP-44 but could easily wait and still easily get him, but they aren't getting Unicron.

How can you possible justify MP-44's cost lol and yet you can't justify something as massive as Unicron.

It's just totally insane to me. :lol 

• Like Like x 18
  10. TAAO

TAAO Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    To follow up on your post, what would stop Hasbro, not as Hasbro of course, but as a "3rd party" putting these up on Ebay as if they were independent sellers? I know they wouldn't want to sit on the stock given how large Unicron is, but that would give them an option to hit the numbers they want, not sell Unicron at a loss, and still save face with the Haslab crowdfunding by not selling them at retail. They could also have a discrete deal with the other online retailers to provide additional figures to online sources such as BBTS and TFSource down the road without forcing the sites to over-order now. I'm assuming the sites are already going to order more than just to fill preorders, so if the sites still have Unicron in stock for awhile, who's going to question it?
    IMHO, as long as Haslab gets around 5000 units preordered, we'll see Unicron get made (with inflated numbers). The only time we are ever going to know the "actual" numbers, is when Hasbro tells us. And unless a whistle-blower states otherwise, we have to take their word for whatever they tell us. I personally think the 8000 backers number was in correlation to the number of Sail Barges sold last time and Hasbro wants to see the limit to which the collecting community can be pushed. If Unicron could legitimately hit 10,000 or more preorders, I think the next project would shoot for just as many backers next time.

• Like Like x 5
  11. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

You know I was trying to look up if the government regulated how crowdfunding works, but I couldn’t find anything. I think they will stick with the 8000 rule but I suspect there are work arounds like John Warden buying a couple hundred or something along the lines.

• Like Like x 2
  12. foobot333

As long as it gets made, I'm down. I'm not sure Haslab would go the shady route to get it made as it seems like too much effort, but then again, we live in a world where Uber, Facebook, and Google can get away with far shadier things to get their way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I am selling some stuff to try and grab myself a Unicron, is anyone is interested.

Peaugh Sells Things!

• Like Like x 1
  14. johndoe4880

johndoe4880 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HasLab-War-For-Cybertron-Unicron-10-1278x6652.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. TAAO

TAAO Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree, but I don't think Hasbro would consider it being shady. More like a strategic business decision that would benefit all interested parties.

• Like Like x 3
  16. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):

I agree, if you would be willing to drop the money on yet another version of optimus prime, why not at least blow it on something more unique. I for one wont be spending on either but I still agree with your point.

• Like Like x 5
  17. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know mine wouldn't and that's why I had to say no. We are in a partnership and my hobby is already out of control enough.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Maybe if they fall short by a small amount, let's say 500 or less backers. They might still produce the whole 8000 run and sell the remaining copies through ebay or other retailers, or simply state that despite the project not being 100% funded Hasbro doesn't feel like depriving fans of their Unicron and will take the loss.
    I don't see this happening if they fall short by a significant amount, if only because that would jeopardize future Haslab campaigns. If people get the message that no matter what the numbers are the project will be done, it's going to be hard to convince them to back and pay a large amount in advance.

• Like Like x 7
  19. mbd88prime

mbd88prime Well-Known Member

The torso does nothing during transformation. No excuse for no sound

• Like Like x 2
  20. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This isn't the first post that's said something like high cost=lights and sound, so I'm not focusing on this one in particular, but it's a good example of the general viewpoint.

The recent video justified all this by saying that in order to get it done with the best possible robot mode and alt mode, the ingenuity of the transformation meant that all free space is taken.

This is just an observation, but it seems like people would accept a less pleasing aesthetic just for some bells and whistles. This costs what it does because they reckon they can get 8k backers. If they thought they'd get 4k, it'd be almost twice the cost (they need to recoup their already invested r&d costs and then the future production costs).

And that's for the product you see before you. You want lights and voices? Paying Orson Welles' estate for 8k uses? Add $50 minimum just to cover royalties. Add some more for the tech involved, sound box and LEDs. Add some more for the additional r&d and costs to incorporate a sound box (in particular) into the figure and still retain the visuals. Or to make the figure even bigger to make some space. If it's the latter, add some more to account for the bigger robot you'd get.

What I'm trying to get across is that you'd either get a less good looking robot for the same price, but with lights. Or you'd get something much more expensive, with lights. Given what people already think of the costs, would a 30 inch robot, at $750 up front, really sell 8k? Or would one at $1400 sell 5k? I just don't see it.

I think Hasbro have considered the various permutations and gone for the right size and weight versus specs versus expected take up, and that's what they made. Hell, I'm sure there's a market of at least 100 for a $10000, 5 foot tall, Orson Welles voiced, LED'd to the teeth, partially robotic, head ejecting Unicron that comes with a bonus exclusive MP Galvatron and a couple of moonbases to munch, as well as an exploding eye with the autobot movie cast in scale, to pop out of it - but that's not what they felt would be best use of all the time and work.

The only thing that's going to challenge this in the foreseeable is the Zeta effort, and that appears to be coming in pieces and who knows what that means in reality? It won't mean voices, for starters. There'll be LEDs though... I reckon it's going to be like a combiner, in 5 or 6 major pieces that connect, and then some shell forming for the planet mode. Until we see more, we don't know.

I'm still not sure I'm in on this, but if I'm not, it won't be because Zeta will do a 20 inch, combiner like, version for $400 and include lights. It'll be because I genuinely decide the £600 I need to spend to get this (i.e. $700+) is simply beyond my realistic limit. I can get two MP combiners for that amount, and take a huge chunk of the outstanding gaps in my S1-S3 G1 collection. Or, use it on single figures and take a bigger chunk out of the huge number of autobots i still need. Or not spend it at all!

Genuinely still undecided...

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.