Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    No, it's not about financing. So a 0% credit card is immaterial.
    It's also not about the ability to plop down $625.
    But it is about money. To Hasbro, it's all about money ($4.7M+ to be exact). And to me, money is a consideration.

But it's not the only concern:
    (1) Space is an issue. It's so big it cannot even be hidden away in a closet. It's always going to be there, in the room. (Bonus = the eyes follow you everywhere! Yay?) At least I can somewhat compact Trypticon and Metroplex, store back in the original not-unreasonably-huge box, and tidy away until I want to play/display again.
    (2) Potential buyer's remorse is an issue -- especially when I have a $600+ giant plastic ball/bot in the way.
    (3) I don't like pressure to buy. If the choice is "now or never", I always pick never. FOMO drives many people, but not me. And as somebody else mentioned some pages back, in this hobby, there's always a 2nd chance to own a character. Reissues, redecos, 3Ps, etc.
    (4) Resale is iffy at this $500+ price range. In 18+ months, both the economy and the Transformers landscapes could be (will be?) vastly different. So the idea of buy now, play/look, and resell later to recoup costs, is also out.
    (5) And again, this entire "crowdfund" goes against my principles. I detest giving a $B company a loan to make a toy. That's what VC and banks are for, if they're unwilling to use their own cash flow. Even a small % deposit preorder would have been fine, to insure orders/demand, with balance due at release. But not 100% upfront payment. This sets a really bad precedent for consumers, and I won't be a part of it.

In some ways, to me, Unicron represents the idea that "a fool and his money are soon parted". Overpriced, missed expectations (color/kibble/effects/etc), feels poorly planned and rushed, and merely tugging heartstrings of 80s nostalgia. I'll admit that owning Unicron was probably one of the most tempting items ever, in terms of FOMO getting to me. But I'm over it now. Rational thoughts has prevailed. It made me step back, and ask myself "What you fuck are you doing?" I like collecting figures, Transformers especially, but I'm not a completist, and have passed on many bots before. I can pass on this one too.

These are my reasons to not buy this toy. So it's really not up for debate. :) 

I've decided to save 100%. :p 

I sketched out rough blueprints last year, to re-create a cross between the Ark and the cardboard Warren base. It'll somewhat "transform" with hinges, break into parts, to compact down when not in use. To me, something like that has way more meaning than a Unicron toy, evokes more nostalgia.

• Like Like x 2
  2. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

No, it's not, if someone says something without evidence you ask for it.
    Mata Nui, don't remind me. To this day G3 is just around the corner you guise!

• Like Like x 3
  3. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You people are almost funny transformer toys will never and ever will be in scale with one another don’t believe me look g1 prime stand him next to g1 metroplex toy there is your proof transformer toys will never be in scale with another

• Like Like x 1
  4. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

I understand what you're saying, but this applies to any product. I mean, there's a chance that the next Siege wave will be made in low production numbers and for some reason will go out of stock everywhere if you don't pre order it. In general, buying and collecting is deciding what you're willing to risk missing, and I don't think this is an exclusive instance of that.

Studio Series has been nailing it pretty well, as has recent MP.

• Like Like x 2
  5. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

That’s the point. There is no evidence. either believe it or don’t believe it. But the request is unreasonable considering the people making the claims have never claimed they could prove it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

If it were painted like that, Id buy two.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

I feel like if it's a "claim" then there's a reasonable expectation there's proof behind it. If it's speculation, then that's different.

• Like Like x 3
  8. samisham

Then why make the claim in the first place? just say I want to succeed/fail for this reason, this reason, and this reason. Give your opinion on it and be done with it.

And I don't really care which way it goes, if it succeeds super exciting and I'll try to get one, if not $900 (nz) saved. How tragic.
    That too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    What I've always found amusing about Unicron is that he only appeared in the 1 movie. Nothing else. Referring just to G1 here. Sure, he was a floating head quite a few more times, but a head isn't a bot. Overall, he really didn't have much to do with the day-to-day mythos of TF. I think a main draw for this Siege toy is the fact that we never got a G1 Unicron toy in the 80s. So it has this mythical status that was ingrained into us all those decades ago. Had we gotten that awful G1 toy, I wonder if demand would be less.

By contrast, the Ark was a constant, as was Autobot City (of which Metroplex was part of) in the movie and latter episodes. And the only city/base option was had in the 80s was that Warren set.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I’m willing to bet $575 that this won’t even make it halfway.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Judging by your join date, you weren't here or likely would not be familiar with "he tell me." That was also a claim.

• Like Like x 2
  12. samisham

I'd take that bet, but if I had the money to put up I'd just back a Unicron.

• Like Like x 4
  13. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

You might want to edit your post there bud........... its almost to 3000 on hasbropulse and they announced today they have another 1500 orders from their affiliates....... almost 4500 which is ALREADY OVER HALFWAY lol

• Like Like x 7
  14. Blam320

News Credits:
    Want to back that claim up?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 8
  16. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

it actually wouldn't hurt, but would depend on how much money (i'm not really interested in a bag of 1,000 pennies)... :p 

but seriously, this is actually a really good idea - it wouldn't cost much to include a whole buncha TINY plastic figurines (a bit bigger than rice grains though, even if that might actually be pretty good scaling!).

include the whole movie cast, and it would probably sway me into finally backing this project (it would still be overpriced, but at least i'd be happier about it, haha!)... :D 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Blam320

News Credits:
    That just says 1500 people backed the project through Hasbro affiliates. That doesn’t imply they are in addition to the ~3000 listed in Hasbro Pulse.

18. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    ... I can't help you.

• Like Like x 19
  19. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Context is everything. Based on what people are saying there is no way they’d have proof because they are admitting to simply passing on information they were given, not information that have personally cultivated and know first hand. The very context of their claims reveals they have no proof.

• Like Like x 1
  20. samisham

Barely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.