Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Number one reason I’m choosing not to do it. I think it’s gorgeous and I commend anyone going in for it but it’s too big and it will sit on a shelf. I learned that with my amazon unicron that I got years ago and eventually sold because it sat on a shelf and I didn’t feel like I was appreciating it.

I play with my toys. I wear out joints and paint. If the the paint is rubbing off I don’t get upset because it shows how much I love it.

If this was even leader class then would get it because it means I would play with it. Even my titans sit on shelves for months and I’ve thought about selling those

• Like Like x 3
  2. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

even though i haven't decided whether or not to back this yet, i don't really want it to fail because Unicron is pretty much the holy grail figure in the TF universe, and it would be nice for the fandom to have the opportunity to finally own a decent representation of him...

that having been said, i'd be worried about what kind of precedent that would be set if the project actually does succeed - it has nothing to do with spite (i actually find it weird that there may be people out there who would want this to fail just out of spite), but rather simply not wanting Hasbro (or any 3rd party company observing all this) thinking that there's a market for ridiculously overpriced figures. one need only to look over to the Masterpiece line to realize this is not an impossible scenario.

• Like Like x 6
  3. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    heck I'm betting this thread reaches a million views before the end of the year

• Like Like x 2
  4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But there already is for the most part.

Rescuebots
    Cyberverse
    Generations
    Masterpiece

The last one isn't cheap by any means like you said

I'm curious what the ULTIMATE DOOMSDAY scenario is if this succeeds. One or two "overpriceed" (insert whatever price you deem to fit).

You can hate all you want, but I really can't see how damaging this could be to my current collecting habits where I'd hang around here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

i never thought he was gay anyway. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 8
  6. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

He transform cookie to dust.

He transform kings English to Muppet

• Like Like x 2
  7. AlbertVanK

AlbertVanK Well-Known Member

There is so much truth is all the above. I agree 100%. I see the same problem with some of the large TF I have. I ended up never opening my SDCC Fortress Max and SDCC Dev, I have the regular copies on display and I regret I buy all that stuff, gorgeous, big, imposing presence but quite too much.
    Same as Voltron Matty Collector, cool stuff, but you need a big dedicated toy room for a collection that has many large size toys and no kids, no pets, no job...... jk... :) 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this fails, I don't think Hasbro is going to commit even more resources to putting out a smaller and cheaper Unicron. I imagine they're going to put it on a shelf and forget about a giant Unicron for a good long while. And they'll probably leave the Transformers brand out of HasLab for quite some time, too.

I mean, that's what I would do. The resources put into developing this are a sunk cost. Time to move on.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Kayman26

Kayman26 Well-Known Member

I still love everyone here.

Just sayin'..

• Like Like x 8
  10. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

If this project fails, I can imagine Unicron\'s not the only one at Hasbro who\'s gonna have a removable head AMIRITE???

Get ... Get a video a\'that ... 

• Like Like x 5
  11. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator!

+1

... and I’ll go one step further to say that all the HasTak Legends Bots... LG-EX Fort Max and Metroplex are both hot trash dumpster fires. Straight garbage. I could not sell both fast enough. That big bulky hollow plastic and shaky, weak, wobbly joints. Forget the lack of paint and randomly untabbing sections when looked at too hard. Forget moving an arm too fast when holding a gun. Pose-ability, articulation? What’s that? These are statues meant to sit in a display case. The original 1987 G1 Fort Max toy is built better. And based on the constant reuse and recycling of engineering in these releases by HasTak... does not give me a warm, secure, happy feeling with regards to the build quality and general sturdiness of Unicron here.

12. soundwave144

soundwave144 Kareoke guru

News Credits:
    Oh my...
    Thanks for the link; I had NO idea!
    lololz!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Redog75

Redog75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    To be fair, all of the TF toys we buy are ridiculously overpriced if you simply base the value on what plastic materials cost. HasLab is for dream projects. Such a dream project and the hefty price tag does not influence what the market will bare. To think so would be like saying because Ford can charge more for a mass-market Mustang because their limited GT model will sell out at $500k. Unicorn is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It has a premium price tag, to be sure. Fully funding this doesn’t tell Hasbro they can make this a norm for pricing. Mass-market Transformers prices are about the same as they always have been, adjusted for inflation. As a kid I wanted Omega Supreme so much I dreamed about it. It was out of my family’s budget. That doesn’t mean it was too expensive.

• Like Like x 6
  14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Maybe not, but it might mean they don't try to make any more toddler sized figures. That's what concerns me even more than price, I don't have room for one, let alone several. I'll take a Titan sized (or smaller) version any day of the week and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Nobody really knows what it would mean for future figures if this is a pass or fail, but shrinking this one down certainly isn't an impossible outcome. It all depends on how they interpret it and what reasons it passed/failed for.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. edstuff

edstuff Well-Known Member

I'm actually really surprised cookie monster won't make it. If I was a Sesame Street fan I'd buy it

• Like Like x 1
  16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    That's because Hasbro misunderstood what people would want from a Cookie Monster. No one wants a statue. Everyone wants a puppet.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Nifty

News Credits:
    Do you own a screwdriver?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't think HasLab is intended as a way to test the broader markets so much as it is a way for Hasbro to more safely explore very niche products while minimizing the financial risk.

• Like Like x 4
  19. twohip2

twohip2 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Maybe if Unicron funding ultimately falls short, they can just combine what they've done with bits and parts from the failed cookie monster graveyard and make everyone happy

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a pretty odd reason to be against this, IMO. A) There's no other character that justifies that size and has the mass appeal of Unicron* and B) The Star Wars Barge succeeded, but Star Wars fans aren't suddenly inundated with all these large vehicles they have to find room for. Odds are pretty good that this is, from Hasbro's POV, a special one-off and not a new size class to be exploited.

*Sorry, but Primus is just way more niche, no matter how important he has become to the lore. Unicron is the big baddie from the '86 movie. Primus was a thing mentioned in the comics. Unicron is just a bigger deal and always will be.

• Like Like x 5