Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. AirComm72

AirComm72 Instrument of Destruction

Unicron gets to share a dumpster with Cookie Monster on his way to oblivion...

• Like Like x 5
  2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    So I have to admit that this is pretty worthwhile now. Always just waiting for extras and this is pretty good for me. Granted, STILL would like an effect part given it's part of the goddamn Siege line but....new faceplate and removable head is pretty good I'll give them that!

To be utterly fair though, a static playset that integrates well with your collection of Star Wars Black. I've been talking about the idea of value since the start of Haslab Unicron and how it's pretty much a thing alone. No mini figures that scale with it, no effect part, doesn't scale with anything else you have. It's part of your collection, nothing more.

The value of the sail barge is that it integrates into your collection. It augments it. It recreates a popular, iconic scene. It's a space for the rest of your figures to inhabit. You can have a ROTJ Luke, or your Lando, your Leia and Jabba...but with the sail barge they become a bit more now. Recreating those little moments, captured in plastic, that have captivated millions.

Maybe I'm just being too romantic about the idea of toys but playsets, to me at least, have always held more value than what you see on the surface level. The ability to actually recreate things that you liked in a show, or to have even more integration into the world the toys represent is pretty powerful. It's one thing as a kid to imagine new scenarios via your own imagination but, there's certainly power to be able to play inside the Turtles Sewer home, for instance, or to reenact the Joes succeeding(or failing!) to capture/destroy the Terrordrome!

That's something Unicron can't effectively do. With the current scale of toys he really isn't THAT much bigger than Fort Max or Metroplex. The two of them together look like they could take Unicron at face value. I'm VERY aware of the economies and realities of toy production so don't take this as me saying Unicron should be bigger, but the scale of him does mean that he doesn't integrate into a collection nearly as well as the sail barge does. Sure, he'll be big and sure he'll be the centerpiece of my collection, but Unicron will never be something like the daring reversal of fate for our heroes on the sail barge, or Cobra finally attacking and capturing the USS Flagg.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    literally the only thing I wanted from back in the day that hasn't been done by now (or isn't in the process of being done) is a giant Unicron's Head playset. Like, just his head, about the size of the planet mode of this one without the rings, but it unfolds like those old Micro Machine toys into dioramas with different stages: smelting pit, 'control center', claw tunnel, and maybe a techno-organic looking part that homages the way his internal components looked in the Armada trilogy. At that size it could work with Legends scale figures and allow Hasbro to capitalize on both their toylines (Micromasters, Legends, etc.) and 3rd party toylines (legends scale G1 MP stuff, basically). Or they could even start a new trend by rebooting WST; if it werent' such a slavish recreation of the G1 toys you could make quality tiny scale renditions of those characters. You could get away with extremely simple figures at that scale but if they came in, say, packs of 4 for $10, or even 3 for $10, wouldn't you buy them? They'd immediately give their citybots more playability as well.

If Hasbro doesn't do this, I think I might be more interested in seeing something like this than an entire Unicron done by a 3rd party... especially if Zeta really nails their BAF approach.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    That last face seen some shit

• Like Like x 9
  5. RustedCross

RustedCross Well-Known Member

I don\'t intend on getting unicron.
    But if it gets funded, I hope they have an optional head-only toy.
    I would pay $50 just for the head.

• Like Like x 4
  6. kidlat2000

kidlat2000 Well-Known Member

Wow!! Detachable head? Maybe I should consider getting another one :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    well i'll say this...they're giving people their money's worth with this thing

• Like Like x 3
  8. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Hasbro if this thing truly doesn't make its quota:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I genuinely kinda want this thing to miss its backer goal just for the shitstorm that\'s gonna hit afterwards, that\'s going to be quality entertainment.

• Like Like x 3
  10. XIII

XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess, the detachable head and they way they are doing the eyes means that there is little chance of LED eyes... I don't normally go for lights and sounds gimmicks but I really would like LED eyes and the abs to be translucent red with a LED. Maybe even a moving magma/liquid pattern glow effect. I guess I can always do it myself. Buy one to keep as is and buy one to mod the hell out of.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Broken Record

Oh yeah...that is a good point.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Nifty

News Credits:
    20190815_122347.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes and no. Takara is as much involved so maybe to me, it makes it worldwide but from what was said, Takara's orders are contributing to the final numbers. We also know that every product released is jointly done by both companies. The seacons and MP's are jointly released.

Correct and didn't try to say otherwise with BBTS, TFS, etc are placing orders with HasLab but that comes at a price of $200 increase to whoever goes that route and I wasn't implying a retail release at all. If anything, I'm advising that if you try to re-sell it, don't expect something above those stores are asking for it today. Too many things can happen prior to the official even making it to your hands. If you do try to sell it, I wouldn't wait even a week to do so, if you have high hopes to walk away, at minimum, what you paid for it.

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Yes they do. They don't have to pay for the design of the figures...and they probably take shortcuts in the production in a lot of cases, but KOs aren't using the same molds. Hence the reason there are subtle differences. They're reverse engineering official figures and creating the molds from those.

• Like Like x 4
  15. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    So out of curiosity. How many backers are on this right now? I know the goal was 8000 (should've been around 5000 imo) and I think the last I checked was 200? Yeah. It's been a while for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go look. Time it took ya to write this you’d have had your answer

• Like Like x 8
  17. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

hey kids check out these useless gimmicks on this almost $600 toy that will just sit around and have no play value! instead of this waste of space they could have easily designed more G1 WFC bots.

• Like Like x 1
  18. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

Some KO's are made by stolen molds....... or the same factory uses them for KO's. and KO companies dont make nearly as many meaning they dont need to do upkeep on the molds which cost money also.

19. solo40oz

solo40oz Active Member

Cool feature....but it\'s not enough.   Hasbro, if you\'re reading this and want to get a final push to attempt to hit 8k....then throw in a Galvatron figure to go with this

• Like Like x 2
  20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Umm, this isn't an "either/or" scenario.

• Like Like x 9