Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by bearytrek, Jul 15, 2019.

1. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Also why do some people forget that this billion dollar company is actually worth a billion dollars because it has more going on than just Transformers?

There are other brands and properties to pay for, they can't just dump an extra $5 million from the budget into the Transformers just whenever they feel like it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. IwatchTV

IwatchTV Well-Known Member

Well, was just reading through this thread while on my break at work. Thought sod it, I'm just gonna ask the wife outright what she thinks.....

AirBrush_20190814122345.jpg

Yeah, dont think I'll be getting him

• Like Like x 12
  3. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx Well-Known Member

Come on Walmart and Target, put this over the top.

Edit: I almost forgot about Amazon.

4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as has been noted, the sail barge got over 5,000 orders in the final 6 days. stop trying to be psychics yall because nobody knows how this will turn out yet

• Like Like x 2
  5. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

You’ll get your money back if it fails. If you don’t back it because you’re afraid it will fail then that is counter productive.

• Like Like x 10
  6. C16

C16 Space Nomad

You say that as if they're producing these in mass production numbers to offset the cost, and have enough retailers interested in carrying enough of these in stores to make selling these in retail even viable.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RavenousPrime

RavenousPrime Fantasy Author

Yeah, as soon as I found out about it I backed that planet sucker. Then I told my partner and he was like "NO YOU ARE NOT" and I said "but what if I already did?" and then he sighed in discomfort and that was it. lol

• Like Like x 7
  8. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    time to find a new wife or try the single life :lol 

if this were to go into mass production corners would be cut , it wouldn't be the figure they are offering up here

• Like Like x 2
  9. Homerrca

Homerrca Active Member

Ebay:
    Looking over this thread, it has me thinking, if this doesn't get crowdfunded, will the 3P companies bring out their own versions? If I was a 3P I would be watching this and seeing if the cost would be worth it. There is R&D, budget, interest, etc.

My concern is if they were to come out with one, would it look decent at the right price point or would be reduced quality. It seems more and more of these are becoming priced out of the average person's pocketbooks (Hasbro and 3P).

For the folks who say they have the funds, want it but are not sure, go for it. If it doesn't get funded, you don't lose any money but your order could be the one that shows the 3P that there is a market for this and will proceed in making it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Please, fandom. Make this succeed. It must happen. We belong to Unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  11. superman27344

superman27344 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    I love how this figure has the fans divided so much. You have the people who have backed it making it seem like the ones that wont back it are the most horrible fans ever. Then you have the ones who wont back it make it seem like the figure isnt that great and some even say they would rather spend their money with the 3rd party instead.

Since its the internet and we all get a say, here is my opinion and why I will not back it. To me, $600 or close to that for figure is just never gonna happen for me. Its not that I cant afford it, I just cant justify it. I also dont spend that on third party figures or Masterpiece figures. In fact, I have very few Masterpiece figures because they are so outrageously priced now, in my opinion. To date the most I have spent on a figure was $186 after tax on POTP Predaking and that hurt to pry my wallet open for that. I know that people have made the argument about how much this Unicron weighs, and parts count, and blah blah blah. To me, its just another Titan Class figure but for 4 times the cost of the other Titan Class figures. Its supposed to be 27" tall and Metroplex and Fort Max were both supposed to be 24" tall. I just can't tell myself that 3" is worth the extra money cause the parts count dont mean shit to me if I am only gonna leave the giant in one mode anyway, lol. And why would I care how much it weighs anyway unless I plan to work out with it? I keep hearing that the weight makes it more valuable, but still nothing I care about, not enough to pay the extra money.

There is another reason I do not want to support it. I feel that the prices are getting out of hand with their products anyway, and I understand that this being a crowdfunded project makes it a higher priced figure but I still feel that it sents a dangerous precedent. Right now, I can avoid spending an arm and a leg on a figure by just staying away from 3rd party or Masterpiece, but if the regular retail style toys are going to start costing this much then collecting no longer becomes viable for me. At the end of the day, these things are still toys, nothing more.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Nagatem

Nagatem Sideways agent of Unicron

Yeah but at least he healed, dark god privileges yo

Haha you could always get a takara ghost Starscream figure to go with pacman saturn

He looks like a space bug in planet mode, and doesn’t have the red abbs of power
    Honestly it’s a shame the beast wars neo version never came out, it looked like it would have been “frickin sweet” although I’m assuming the primus toy is inspired by it

Remind her that whenever she wants something until it eventually evens out to 600 dollars, also try to shmoose her into paying for part of it for xmas or birthday presents, it’s all about the presentation
    The razzle dazzle, my wife didn’t even care, i was the one that said nope

We have like 5-6 different versions of armada supreme unicron, we belong to at least 5 of them 3 being g1 version’s

I’m picturing you as breakdown and your partner as knockout

• Like Like x 3
  13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    So, you're in the "Then you have the ones who wont back it make it seem like the figure isnt that great" camp, then. Okay.

In the end, it really doesn't matter if you understand why 19 lbs of figure is going to cost $340 plus $75 for shipping more than a standard titan or not. What matters is if the figure wows you enough to spend that kind of money - and obviously, it doesn't. Fair enough.

For me, I'm leaning away from ordering because that's $600 after taxes that I can spend on something else. And considering my mom-in-law (of whom my wife and I care for) apparently needs hearing aids now, $600 on a toy feels awfully irresponsible of ME to commit to at this point in my life. But I won't judge others who don't have such kinds of obligations. Once upon a time when I had fewer obligations, I would have jumped all over this.

• Like Like x 3
  14. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

i'm torn on this whole issue unfortunately (and i bet many people agree with some of these following thoughts)...

- do i want a Unicron figure? yes!
    - do i want one for that insane price? hell no.
    - will i end up funding this project to get him? dunno yet - still mulling it over but i'll probably end up caving at the last minute ('cuz i'm an idiot). but i also know that if i do, i'll do so begrudgingly and always resent how much i paid for him...

as much as i want this crowdfund to succeed (if not for myself, then at least for the fandom), the problem is that if it does, then Hasbro (and 3P companies) will consider it validation of a market for severely overpriced toys. now i don't think producing this figure will be cheap, but there's no way the $575 cost for this figure doesn't include an insane amount of profit margin for Hasbro incorporated in there (it's a plastic toy! a big one yeah, but still just a toy - and it doesn't even have any cheap electronics!) - i honestly think they're just being greedy. and i don't want Hasbro (or 3rd party companies) thinking it's ok to gouge their fans like this...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    • Like Like x 3
  15. djtfmd

djtfmd Well-Known Member

also, there's unfortunately precedence for price gouging already => the Masterpiece line. as MP pricing has climbed over the years, at some point it became "unreasonable" (everybody has a different threshold, but i'm willing to bet MP pricing has crossed most collectors' thresholds of "reasonableness" by now - if not with MP-36 or MP-41 or MP-43, then most certainly with MP-44)...

normally i prefer to buy authentic versions of figures to support the original companies as much as possible, but with the insane stratospheric pricing these days, i have no compunction about buying KO MP figures these days. and all the KO versions of MP-36 (IT, THF, MagTen, etc.) available for $50-100 are essentially proof the material costs are nowhere near the ~$250 asking price for MP-36 by Takara.

so the problem is as long as customers keep paying their asking prices, Hasbro/Takara can continue testing our limits to see how much profit they can squeeze out of us (and technically they have every right to do so 'cuz they're a business, and the purpose of a business is to make money). however, they need to balance their strategy carefully (high volume/low margin vs low volume/high margin) or else they risk losing their customers altogether (to 3P, KO, etc.). this is essentially what's happened with Apple these days - as much as their customers love their products, the company's hubris and overpricing strategies have recently driven many potential sales away...

• Like Like x 3
  16. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Victims gonna victim.

• Like Like x 4
  17. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for comparison fort max cost $150 when he came out and weighs roughly 6lbs. 6x5=30. unicron is a 29lb package (19lb figure and 10lb stand). almost 5x the weight of a titan when the total package is factored in. $150x5=$750. also factor in that at least domestically this thing has free shipping as an option (shipping probably accounts for $50-$75 of the total $575 price tag). Hasbro's profit margins on this are probably a lot lower than people think considering that judging by weight alone it should cost closer to what the e-tailer shops are selling it for.

• Like Like x 5
  18. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I’m not where I can back this because of other commitments but so far it’s not taking off like I would expect from the current level of backers. But it definitely could change at the eleventh hour as it were.

• Like Like x 1
  19. autobotsrollout

autobotsrollout Well-Known Member

So you admit to trolling then.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Nifty

News Credits:
    And, again, this is made to limited order where the other was produced to fill every mass retail, online shop and Ollie's in the country and various international market shelves.

• Like Like x 3